Weirdest thing....my oil and water emulsified with out an emulsifier...

chenajchenaj Posts: 352Registered Users
This is so strange.

I mixed some of my beloved Tamnu oil with some orange flower water at the begining of the week and i have been using it everyday as a spritz. I always give it a little shake first to mix it up before using it.

Today, as i was trying to spritz my hair i noticed that that as i was shaking it it felt contents felt thick an dthen when i tried to spritz, the pump felt a little stiff. So i opened the bottle to have a look and the Tamanu oil and the water had emulsifed into a lotion - albeit a very runny lotion but a lotion nonetheless. So I poured some into the my hands rubbed them together and the result was a off white creamy substance, a lotion. I put in in my hair and it was fine.

How can this happen? How can an oil and water emulsify without an emulsifier?
hair type - definately 4a

wash - any baby shampoo

conditioning styler - homemade blend with shea, coconut, avocado mango, plam, castor, almond and essential oils

Hair pics http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=84285

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    maybe your oil/water mixture went bad

did it smell off to you? usually if cosmetics go bad they get very runny (in my experience--I had some flax seed gel that went bad and it did become a little milky)
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    is the tamanu oil thick. some oils like coconut oil can be liquid and solid depending on the temps. Maybe tamanu is similar. then again maybe tamanu is not an oil at all but a wax like jojoba oil.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CeriCeri Posts: 142Registered Users
    :icescream:I love Tamanu oil! It smells just like butter pecan ice cream and it's a very healing oil for tons of skin problems! I use it in a whipped butter with shea butter. But to answer the question, it dose become almost solid at room temp in my house, just like virgin coconut oil. I just warm up the container in a bowl of hot tap water when I want use it.
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file