3c/4a and 4a Come in here plz

CoilyHairedBeautyCoilyHairedBeauty Registered Users Posts: 52
I'm re-evaluating my hair type. Not that it's that big of a deal, but I thought I had it figured out. My favorite system is LOIS. On that one, Im OS cottony fine. Simple. Done.

With Andre's system, I *thought* I was 4a. I know for a fact that the front is a lot looser than the back. And then I see ladies who identify as 3c/4a, and I get a little confused...:scratch:It's got to be subjective. I mean, everyone perceives their hair differently. I've been to countless albums and witnessed this.

Wet, my hair is curly and coily without manipulation. As it dries, and if I finger-comb it, I get a coily 'fro. I think I'm 4a/3c (more coily than curly).

Experts, please explain to me, how does 3c/4a look to you. Wet and dry; the whole 9, please? A few pics wouldn't hurt either. :lol:

My hair, wet with condish (recently):
2moqq03.jpg

You can see my hair dry-ish in this video: I show my hair within the first 60 secs. (You don't have to watch the whole thing).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoSRy_FpRNc
"authenticity is true beauty."
http://youtube.com/user/CoilyHairedBeauty
Celebrating 5 Years Natural | 3 years Napptural! :hello1:
Hair Hates: Proteins and Shea Butter :pukeright:

Comments

• CoilyDelta27CoilyDelta27 Registered Users Posts: 202
    Great video! :thumbleft: Thanks for sharing! I consider myself a coily 4a and I've never really been a fan of the word "nappy". Since the term "curl" can be relative, I prefer to use "coily" for the exact same reasons that you explain in your video. Nothing but coils all over my head when wet and dry if I don't manipulate it. You can check out my fotki for photos....I'm a little slow with figuring out photo attachments on here...LOL

http://fotki.com/ginaloveslanguages84

Happy hair growing!:blob4:
    youtube (reginadwright) :afro:
    Pre-Poo: EVOO/TJTingle Poo: KCCC Cowash:As I Am/Mielle Organics Condish: EVOO/Aussie Moist Leave-In:KCKT Moisturizers: Qhem AOHC Sealants: Grapeseed/Apricot Oil/FlaxGel

event.png

• HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Registered Users Posts: 1,017
    I've seen your videos before. You always looked like 4a to me. You have the coils and s shapes, but its not shiny, but more sheeny. at least thats how I see the difference b/w 4a and 3c hair.
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Registered Users Posts: 364 Curl Neophyte
    OP to answer your question I dont really know , because there are so many varietys of both 3c and 4a hair types...but i'll try and give you a description of what my hair does since im a 3c/4a type

When I wet my hair it doesnt curl up it straightens out and draws back up as it dries....my hair sorta grows downwards,this was the case especially when it was shorter, but that can because its fine...since its dense and I have layers my hair can look look bigger, im appreciating it now because I know its gonna flatten out when it gets longer:-| lol

My naked hair is naturally defined without product (look at pic in siggy)

If I were comb out my hair wet..it will find a way to curl back up as it dries (I hate that too lol). So I cant achieve an afro with out stretching my hair dry...

You say your hair is looser in the front.Was you hair looser in the front when it was shorter? Are the curls bigger? To me that can be a sign of 3cish, since a 4a can loosen up with length and weight...

I like to define my hair as curly, coily, wavy...I prefer the LOIS system too, because it goes more in depth with hair typing, opposed to the generalization the Andre System gives....

I'll post pics in fresh post lol....

Samielle1 wrote: »
    I've seen your videos before. You always looked like 4a to me. You have the coils and s shapes, but its not shiny, but more sheeny. at least thats how I see the difference b/w 4a and 3c hair.

Nope not at all ...there are shiny 4a's, just like there are dull 3c's...im 3c/4a and my 4a sections be blingin just as much as my 3c hair...:colors: lol

Hair typing (2c/4a/3c wise) is about curl size not texture, thats just another ignorant misconception the Andre System started...
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Registered Users Posts: 364 Curl Neophyte
    Heres a video of my hair journey and how it reponds to different hair techiques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17bikfURvOU

Here are pics of my hair naked,dry and unmanipulated:

33xf2g4.jpg
    2nbtzxs.jpg
    This is my straight 4a section:
    rr43v9.jpg

My hair pulled in pony tails with no product
    9kbhg7.jpg
    x40lxl.jpg

Naked wet hair:
    21ppfq.jpg

With product:
    this is a pic of my hair drenching wet with some product (mainly conditioner and aloe vera I believe):
    2v93z3l.jpg
    Same hair as above but dry
    2vbotch.jpg

Shorter hair (first wash n go):
    qo9c76.jpg
    the back of above WnG
    1zez31j.jpg
    2cyfjmt.jpg
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    The problem with Andre's hair typing system is that it refers to curl pattern only, not really texture. You can have a 3c with fine, thin hair, just as you can have one with coarse thick hair. Honestly, I find hair typing helpful only when buying products online and they suggest by hair type - I'm always concerned whether the product is going to be too heavy/light for my hair, and it's difficult if you can't go to the store and try it.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    IMO, 3C/4A has less of a cottony look to it, and the curls are about the diameter of a jumbo paper clip from Office Depot. Someone who has 4A/3C has the diameter of a stylus.

I'm never correct because it depends on lighting and products. If your hair is shown is good light, it will appear to be one type. If you use a certain type of conditioner, it may appear to be another type. If your hormones have decided to run-a-muck, it can appear to be a different type.

My hair, depending on the product (no texturizers, texlaxing), has the appearance of being 3B-4A. Then, if I don't shampoo/cowash for about two weeks and not have my hair in twists, it will appear to be 3C.

I personally think (IPT) the hair typing system should be in FILE 13, and go with a system that identifies porosity and texture. That system would be more accurate and could help save money on determining which products are best for your hair.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • CoilyHairedBeautyCoilyHairedBeauty Registered Users Posts: 52
    Heres a video of my hair journey and how it reponds to different hair techiques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17bikfURvOU

Here are pics of my hair naked,dry and unmanipulated:

33xf2g4.jpg
    2nbtzxs.jpg
    This is my straight 4a section:
    rr43v9.jpg

My hair pulled in pony tails with no product
    9kbhg7.jpg
    x40lxl.jpg

Naked wet hair:
    21ppfq.jpg

With product:
    this is a pic of my hair drenching wet with some product (mainly conditioner and aloe vera I believe):
    2v93z3l.jpg
    Same hair as above but dry
    2vbotch.jpg

Shorter hair (first wash n go):
    qo9c76.jpg
    the back of above WnG
    1zez31j.jpg
    2cyfjmt.jpg

Thank you soooo much NaturallyNike!!! :) This is exactly what I needed! Great pictures! Your hair is beautiful!

Based on this, I'm definitely mostly a 4a, with a little 3c in the front.
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,632
    Wet
    DSC_1351-vi.jpg

DSC_1216-vi.jpg

Dry w/ Terri's method
    DSC_1311-vi.jpg

My hair is a lot wavier when wet--but when it's dry it's coily and shrinks up quite a bit.
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    it depends on lighting and products...If you use a certain type of conditioner, it may appear to be another type....I personally think (IPT) the hair typing system should be in FILE 13, and go with a system that identifies porosity and texture...

ITA with this! If I apply conditioner to dry hair, it appears looser than it really is. If I apply it on wet hair, it still hangs, but with waaaay more shrinkage.

My coils vary from pen springs to maybe the size of those lil black rubber bands (you know, the ones from the beauty supply) :compress:
    The front stretches out straight when I put water on it, and if I smooth it with my fingers, I get big curls.

Yep... to hades with this typing system, LOL!
    Wet
    My hair is a lot wavier when wet--but when it's dry it's coily and shrinks up quite a bit.

I can definitely agree with this! My hair does the same thing! Thanks for the lovely pics :)
  • HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Registered Users Posts: 1,017

Nope not at all ...there are shiny 4a's, just like there are dull 3c's...im 3c/4a and my 4a sections be blingin just as much as my 3c hair...:colors: lol

Hair typing (2c/4a/3c wise) is about curl size not texture, thats just another ignorant misconception the Andre System started...

Hair typing is a combination of texture, the condition of it, and curl widths. I'm saying that's what comes to mind when visualizing the difference b/w the two. 4a hair TYPICALLY doesnt shine, that comes from observations, not Andre's hair system. Texture usually has some relation to the 'hair type'. 4a type usually has sheen to it, not a high shine like someone with cupid curls might have, but the texture might be fine or course. Texture actually has more to do with how fine or coarse the hairs are. The hair type is what gives you the different wave patterns, and the looser the wave patterns are, the shinier the hair tends to be, everyone is different, but generally this is true.

There are 4a/b women who will load their hair up with all kinds of oils trying to get shine out of it, when USUALLY, when shine isn't usually naturally found in 4a hair, but sheen is.
    3's usually have somewhat of a shine without the products. usually, not always.

Imo, there's only 3 main types of hair, wavy, curly, and coily, that's all that matters, all these subdivisions have nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

The more your cuticles stand up, which is more apparent in 4a/b hair, the less shine one is going to have. the more the cuticles lie down, the more shine, which is why the straighter or bigger the curls, the more shine or sheen there is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file