What constitutes a meal?

heart-of-dixieheart-of-dixie Registered Users Posts: 392
I posted that I was trying to get down to 2 meals a day (under the breakfast thread) and several people commented that they eat 5 to 6 small meals per day.

Please tell me what you consider a meal?

Is eating an apple a meal?
Do you have multiple items in your meal?

Can you give me a sample of a day's meals.

My mother used to eat an apple for breakfast, yogurt for lunch and then a low fat dinner. I personally did not consider the apple or yogurt meals (I considered them snacks). I beginning to wonder if I do not really know the definition of a meal.

Thanks

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    Since I was one of the ones who said that here's today:

Breakfast: Cream of Wheat and a small banana
    Snack: Apple and half a chicken breast
    Lunch: 1/2 can of tuna mixed with about a 1/2 cup brown rice, chopped celery and chopped tomato with lemon juice
    Snack: small bowl homemade tomato soup with brown rice with other half of chicken breast chopped added in
    Dinner: small sweet potato, haddock, asparagus, green beans

I sometimes have a before bed snack sometimes not ... when I do it's a handful of nuts, a piece of toast with nut butter or something like that.

I try to eat protein and veggies or fruit every meal.

Breakfast is always a protein challenge for me because I love my Cream of Wheat and am not a fan of eggs. Except my breakfast burritos but they're time consuming to make so I only make them on the weekends and when they run out, I don't make more during the week.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • legendslegends Registered Users Posts: 3,073
    I'm like you...I like my meals to be meals and I much prefer to eat 2-3 meals a day. I hate snacking. I like to eat a meal and not have to think about eating for several hours. And when I enjoy something I want to be able to eat a good amount. Whenever I've tried to do the 5-6 meals a day thing I get annoyed because it's impossible for me to enjoy food that way.
    Eres o te haces?
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    A soup and a sandwich, now that's a meal!
    Sorry, I had to. Heh.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    1. 8 oz of kefir and a slice of bread
    2. 6 oz of yogurt, slice of bread
    3. Sandwich (2 slices of bread, 1 slice of baloney, 1 slice of cheese), 6 oz of yogurt
    4. 1 or 2 protein bars
    5. Just the beef patties from two McDoubles (ordered with no cheese, discard the bun)
    6. 2 slices of cheese, 2 slices of baloney

I can't cook at all :(
    I guess I ought to add some fruits and vegetables.
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    I just take a regular meal, create 2 portions, eat half now, half (2-3 hours) later.
  • MizKerriMizKerri Registered Users Posts: 1,701
    For me, a meal consists of some type of protein, veggies (or fruit), some type of healthy fat, and a grain (but not always). I feel like this combination keeps me from getting hungry too quickly again.

Ideally, my meals are around 400 calories each, which gives me room (up to a max of 400 more cals) for snacks (or a bigger meal), but I'm trying to lose weight so that's less than what a weight-maintaining person would eat.

Sample day for me:

Breakfast: a packet of oatmeal made with water, some almonds or other nuts, a banana or an apple, and a mozzarella stick

Lunch: If I'm at work, usually a Lean Cuisine and some baby spinach with vinaigrette

Dinner: Really varies....I like to cook and make new things. I just try to follow my rules of protein/fat/veggies/grain

Snacks could be anything like yogurt, granola, fruit, cheese, crackers with PB, etc.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Is it possible to get all the nutrients you need from two meals a day?

I'm a grazer and I like eating like this. A protein, a starch/grain, and fruit/veg = a meal to me. I make a bigger meal and then eat off it for several hours.
  • irociroc Registered Users Posts: 7,890 Curl Neophyte
    Saria wrote: »
    A soup and a sandwich, now that's a meal!
    Sorry, I had to. Heh.

aww, you beat me to the Seinfeld reference!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • heart-of-dixieheart-of-dixie Registered Users Posts: 392
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am not much of a fruit/vegetable person. I could live off of burgers
    and sandwiches. My idea of fruit is an apple pie !!
    I like my vegetables in casseroles. My oven and microwave are broken at the moment so my cooking
    options are limited.

I am going to try the smaller meal concept and maybe
    that will help the stomach pains.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    What kinds of stomach pains are you having? Getting too full? Or maybe you have allergies or food intolerances. What do you typically eat? Can you give a daily menu? Might be something you're eating or something that you're lacking. I know my stomach pains and a lot of digestion issues stopped when I stopped eating meat...not saying that's it for you but just an example of what was giving me trouble.

It could be a gluten reaction, dairy, or some other food that your stomach is having trouble digesting.
  • Curls AgainCurls Again Registered Users Posts: 314
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am not much of a fruit/vegetable person. I could live off of burgers
    and sandwiches. My idea of fruit is an apple pie !!
    I like my vegetables in casseroles. My oven and microwave are broken at the moment so my cooking
    options are limited.

I am going to try the smaller meal concept and maybe
    that will help the stomach pains.

When you get older, your colon will thank you for trying to eat more fruits and veggies now. Maybe you can try new and different ones, and for veggies cook them differently (or else eat them at restaurants that know how to treat them, to inspire you to eat more).

I go back and forth between eating 3 solid meals a day or up to 5 or 6 meals and snacks.

3 solid meals is usually protein + grain + fruit or veg at each meal, as others have noted.

5-6 meals and snacks would be a huge mix with some protein + grain only; or protein + fruit or veg only; or grain + fruit and veg only. Yogurt + herbal tea is always a snack; ditto dark chocolate + caffeinated tea.

Ditto the idea of splitting a larger meal (think restaurant portions) into 2-3 separate servings, each of which I would consider a meal in the 5-6 a day approach. Eating that way keeps the body fueled so nicely, but it's not practical for everyday to eat so frequently.
    formerly COH (Curls On Holiday)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file