spanish speakers!

fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
first, what does this mean? deja el show

also, if you're puerto rican; do you sometimes substitute r's for l's? for instance, if there is an r in the middle of a word, do you make an l sound instead?
i'm listening to a spanish song and i'm hearing l's all over the place but the words have r's in them.
also, it considered improper or low class to speak that way?

Comments

• kenzie!kenzie! Registered Users Posts: 5,055
    Hmmm...lets see if I remember anything from spanish class....I'm pretty sure it means "He leaves the show", but you may want to consult a native spanish speaker. And if I remember correctly, the l's are usually baby talk for r's....but I know nothing about the low-class stuff.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • legendslegends Registered Users Posts: 3,073
    frau wrote: »

also, if you're puerto rican; do you sometimes substitute r's for l's? for instance, if there is an r in the middle of a word, do you make an l sound instead?
    i'm listening to a spanish song and i'm hearing l's all over the place but the words have r's in them.
    deja el show is an expression among American latinos that means something like "stop making a big deal/stop the drama."

As far as the r's and l's, that's pretty common in Puertoricans and in Dominicans(depending on what part of the country they're from). It's not exactly "proper" Spanish...it's a dialect. Every country has their dialect and "improper" pronunciations and words.
    Eres o te haces?
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Registered Users Posts: 5,640
    I agree with Legends, the way I explain it to people is that it's slang. For example saying "Que te pica?" literally means "what's itching?" but the slang definition is "What do you want?", "What's wrong" etc., depending on how its used.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte

LOL, 'deja el show' means your friends with a Puerto Rican or Dominican! LOL. It's total slang and total coloquialism. I wouldn't consider it improper or low class. It depends on your company. It's like saying 'Yo, what's good?', something you may say to your brother or friends, but maybe not something you would say to your boss.

And as far as L and R (or í) usage, ITA with Legends. As far as DR goes, using L or R excessively can determine what part of the country you are from.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    ^^^lol, no, i just heard the saying in an old song.
  • caribcurlscaribcurls Registered Users Posts: 163
    lol... was it "atrevete" by calle 13 by any chance? I'm Cuban/ Puerto Rican, "deja el show" is usually used how legends mentioned, as in "stop the drama."

Usually it's Latin people from the Caribbean who substitute the r's with l's. It's just local dialect. It's more common in Cubans from my experience than Puerto Ricans. For example, you'll hear someone say "velde" instead of "verde" (green btw). Puerto Ricans do it also, but they also commonly gargle the r's instead of substituting them, if that makes any sense.
  • violetsviolets Registered Users Posts: 1,689 Curl Neophyte
    Yup, "Stop the drama". Can be disrespectful, depends on who you are talking to.

Puertoricans use L for Rs all the time when it's not a double r. The double r's they gargle.
    palque = parque
    chalco = charco
    you get the idea.
    lyrics read: hello, deja el show
    but sounds like: hello, de hell-cho

verde: say it like "better day"

spanish is very hard
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    Spanish is way easier than English. Spanish is a very logical, organized language. English is full of exceptions all over the place.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Saria wrote: »
    Spanish is way easier than English. Spanish is a very logical, organized language. English is full of exceptions all over the place.

What?? I've conjugated more Spanish verbs than I care to ever see again, and there were all kinds of ones that were irregular (which are a pain in the butt when the test comes)!! And stuff is waaaayy different if you learned Castilian (which is the way I learned it at my first school) Spanish, or the Spanish they speak in Cuba (which is where the teacher here is from) and "Shoe" verbs, and the vosotros/nosotros thing......**sigh** now my brain hurts.....

Nobody uses vosotros but the Spanish (Argentines and Uruguyans have their own dialect with vos used moreso than tu). Nosotros is we, vosotros is basically what other countries use usted for. And it's not complicated once you learn the basic rules. Spanish is phonetic. Everything is pronounced a certain way. There are clear rules for
    putting the accent mark, and it is very simple to separate a word into syllables.

Spanish and all romance languages are much more organized and formulaic than English. You learn the basic rules and you pretty much have it down. With English, it's case by case from pronunciation to sentence structure. But from what I've learned of Italian, Spanish rules are still simpler. And Spanish pronunciation is much easier than French. Portuguese pronunciation is easiest though. ;)
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    and lawrd have mercy with direct and indirect object pronouns! i have no idea where to put the lo and the se or the me or te. forget about it.
    (i'm not taking spanish, just watching primer impacto and listening to songs)
    I want to tell it to you.
    Te lo quiero decir.
    Quiero decírtelo.
  • KikapooKikapoo Registered Users Posts: 1,087
    Nobody uses vosotros but the Spanish (Argentines and Uruguyans have their own dialect with vos used moreso than tu). Nosotros is we, vosotros is basically what other countries use usted for. And it's not complicated once you learn the basic rules. Spanish is phonetic. Everything is pronounced a certain way. There are clear rules for
    putting the accent mark, and it is very simple to separate a word into syllables.

Spanish and all romance languages are much more organized and formulaic than English. You learn the basic rules and you pretty much have it down. With English, it's case by case from pronunciation to sentence structure. But from what I've learned of Italian, Spanish rules are still simpler. And Spanish pronunciation is much easier than French. Portuguese pronunciation is easiest though. ;)

I'm with you...and even the irregular verbs in Spanish make more sense than the "regular" verbs in English, half the time.
    Maybe its because I'm not a native spanish speaker, but I just don't get it....:dontknow:

Native speakers have their own issues while non native speakers encounter a different set of issues. There are tons of conjugations and seriously, I think it is unnecessary to teach all of them in school! Like someone is going to ask you what the Pluscuamperfecto is for x verb. I hated high school Spanish. But I can't imagine understanding Spanish for a non Spanish person. I was a Spanish tutor and it was pretty tricky teaching students why and when to use 'el preterito perfecto' or 'preterito imperfecto.' They are both past tense verbs, and can be used interchangeably but then you change the meaning of the sentence.

CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • BiancaBianca Registered Users Posts: 2,492 Curl Connoisseur
    Spanish is easy and it makes sense.

English on the other hand is a mess to try to teach someone. I'm tutoring a friend and holy moly.

Try explaining "than" and "so" to someone who barely speaks English. What does the word "than" mean? And remember, you can't use the word to define itself.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
    So would be entonces (So, I went out) or it can also be uses to mean tanto or tan (so much, so good) or asi (like so). See? Spanish doesn't do this.
    Than kind of turns into que (more than is mas que), which just seems superfluous somehow.
    I think you meant then, which is another multiple one. Then would also be what we use entonces for. You could use despues, if you use then to mean afterwards. Of course, then is also used to refer to something in the past (back then) so that would be antes, or en ese entonces. Plus there's the expression now and then which can be about differences in the present and past (this is now, that was then) or used as one would use once in a while (I like a slice of pizza now and then), which would be de vez en cuando. So yeah, this is what I'm talking about in terms of English and its relative chaos.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    can anyone explain when or how to place pronouns?
    i didn't think so.
    that's because it's so hard!
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    My daughter LOVES to scream "ayudame, HELP ME, ayudamos, HELP US!!" if she doesn't want to leave a place or do something we need to do. I have no idea who "us" is...
    i didn't think so.
    that's because it's so hard!

LOL I found this link http://spanish.speak7.com/spanish_pronouns.htm

LOLOLOL. I'm more of a visual/ one on one person so I can't really break it down!

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    Munchy wrote: »
    My daughter LOVES to scream "ayudame, HELP ME, ayudamos, HELP US!!" if she doesn't want to leave a place or do something we need to do. I have no idea who "us" is...

Sounds like Dora :)

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV

Ayúdanos is help us. Ayudamos is we help.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice

Ayúdanos is help us. Ayudamos is we help.

I'll make sure to correct her next time :lol:
    :lol:
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg

thank you! i will use your link and this one to help me.
    gosh, it's so complicated.
    mainly because these are things we don't think about.
  • CostenyaCostenya Registered Users Posts: 520

thank you! i will use your link and this one to help me.
    gosh, it's so complicated.
    mainly because these are things we don't think about.

Frau, I'm teaching this right now to my students. Okay, it's really simple.

Basic rules for pronouns

DON'TS

*Never put a pronoun between two verbs

Quiero lo comer = NO! (lol)

*Never use a pronoun as "it" at the end of a sentence.

Vi lo (I want to eat it) = NO! (common mistake with beginning students)

"Lo" should function as a direct object pronoun not as a subject pronoun (it).

DO'S

* Pronouns can placed at the beginning of a conjugated verb.

Lo vi.

* Pronouns can be attached at the end of an infinitive.

Quiero verlo.

Voy a comerlo.

*OR Pronouns can be placed be placed before two verbs.

Lo quiero comer. = Quiero verlo.

Lo voy a comer. = Voy a comerlo.

*Pronouns can be attached to affirmative commands, but you must add an accent to the third/fourth syllable from the end of the word when there are three of more syllables

Siéntate (when you have the dipthong ie you add an accent to the e, when you have the dipthong ae, you add an accent to the a)
    Tráemelo
    Vete.
    Cállate.
    Póntelo.

* Pronouns cannot be attached to negative commands. They must be placed between "No" and the command.

No te vayas.

No te lo pongas.

No se lo ponga.

Accents must be added when you have a pronoun attached to an infinitive.

Voy a conseguírtelo (count three syllables from the end of the word)

*In terms of order, the indirect object pronoun always comes before the direct object pronoun.

Voy a conseguírtelo = Te lo voy a conseguir.
  • ResRes Registered Users Posts: 2,911
    caribcurls wrote: »
    lol... was it "atrevete" by calle 13 by any chance? I'm Cuban/ Puerto Rican, "deja el show" is usually used how legends mentioned, as in "stop the drama."

Usually it's Latin people from the Caribbean who substitute the r's with l's. It's just local dialect. It's more common in Cubans from my experience than Puerto Ricans. For example, you'll hear someone say "velde" instead of "verde" (green btw). Puerto Ricans do it also, but they also commonly gargle the r's instead of substituting them, if that makes any sense.

Guano - Me too! I have never met the mix before.
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued

yes! that's the song! the way he says the words are not the way the words are written. i was trying to sing along and i was like, wtf?? now i understand. i must've missed that sentence in your post. thanks residual for quoting her.

thanks costenya!
  • caribcurlscaribcurls Registered Users Posts: 163
    Residual wrote: »

Guano - Me too! I have never met the mix before.

Really? I've met plenty, but then again I'm in Miami. Who's from where? My mom is Puerto Rican, and my dad Cuban.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file