CurlTalk

What is your favorite brand of laundry detergent?

tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
I use Tide but I'm wondering if there is a better/cheaper alternative. For some reason I feel my clothes don't get as clean as they should. Could be due to the fact that I don't have enough clothing to wash each category of colors separately so I end up having oranges, greens, purples, blacks, whites etc... all together.

What kind do you use?
Tried any particular brand that you would never use again?

Are you supposed to use downy in addition to your detergent?
If so, for what purpose?
3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I chose “other.” I use Trader Joe’s brand of detergent since it is vegetable based. Many of those national brands you listed makes me itch and/or get a rash. I never use fabric softener, I find it useless since I never hang stuff to dry. I just stick a dryer sheet in the load as it dries and I have no laundry issues.

I just separate lights and darks. We always have more darks than lights, so I just adjust the load setting to small or medium if we don’t have that many clothes to wash at one time.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    My gynecologist told me to use All Free and Clear (hypoallergenic detergent) and avoid fabric softener. The scents and dyes in other detergents and fabric softeners can irritate your skin.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    other

fragrance-free seventh generation or some other more environmentally friendly detergent, combined with vinegar and baking soda for darks and mediums, or with peroxide for whites.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    I use the new Tide with Downy.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    My gynecologist told me to use All Free and Clear (hypoallergenic detergent) and avoid fabric softener. The scents and dyes in other detergents and fabric softeners can irritate your skin.

You didn't vote!

I picked All. I've never had a doctor tell me that, just found that I did better with it...I'm allergic to just about everything.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    I make my own.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    NetG wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

You didn't vote!

I picked All. I've never had a doctor tell me that, just found that I did better with it...I'm allergic to just about everything.

My bad :) Ok I will vote.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users
    Other. We use Dreft. So far everything else flares up my son's excema.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    rainshower wrote:
    other

fragrance-free seventh generation or some other more environmentally friendly detergent, combined with vinegar and baking soda for darks and mediums, or with peroxide for whites.

What does the vinegar and baking soda or peroxide do? And how much do you put in?
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I use the Costco version of the Free & Clear stuff, and sometimes I make my own.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I use the Purex unscented/no color for lights, and Woolite for Darks to keep darks from fading. Cheer makes a detergent for darks but it has a very strong fragrance, ick.
    tgreyz wrote:
    rainshower wrote:
    other

What does the vinegar and baking soda or peroxide do? And how much do you put in?

the nature of more natural detergents is that they aren't as sudsing, which is fine with me, because in all honesty, our clothes seldom get grimey, and very warm water on high aggitation alone can adequately clean most of our clothing.

but the vinegar and baking soda add to the degreasing and cleansing properties of the detergent. and the peroxide helps to naturally whiten the whites without the use of bleach.

i add a cup of peroxide to whites and let them soak maybe 30 minutes before starting the cycle.

i add a cup each of vinegar and baking soda to the laundry for all other colors. we don't line dry; we use our dryer. and when our clothes come out, they smell so fresh (a close second to line-dried clothes). no perfume, no fabric softeners, no dryer sheets. just clean, fresh, soft clothing that doesn't irritate anyone's skin or nose. :wink:
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I buy whatever is cheapest and is free of dyes and perfumes. I add a bit of oxyclean(or whatever equivalent is cheaper) to each load. I think the oxygenated stuff makes the difference for me. I have kids, so tide alone doesn't keep clothes looking good. It looks the same as it would if I used cheap detergent. So I use cheap detergent and add the oxy stuff and voila! My kids clothes still look great.
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I used to like Oxydol (I thnk that's what it was called - it's in the green jug and smelled really good) but I can't find it in KC so now I use Wisk.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,235Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I buy whatever is cheapest and is free of dyes and perfumes. I add a bit of oxyclean(or whatever equivalent is cheaper) to each load. I think the oxygenated stuff makes the difference for me.

ditto!
    I wash everything together (lights with darks tho I wear almost no white, jeans with bras), I don't use chlorine bleach, and I don't use fabric softener. I've been washing like this for 30 some years and as yet no one has said my clothes look dirty or dingy.
    I do NOT take after my mother who is a laundry-nazi and sticks by the old school rules to a T. I love to get her bent out of shape by talking about how I do laundry. It gives her fits and makes us all laugh. I also don't iron anthing and that drives her nuts too. I'd rather be on here talking to you guys than worrying about my laundry.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    I was using Tide have switched....lately been using Cheer. A few weeks ago I was at the store picking up some new scrubs for work. Well when you purchase new scrubs they usually give you directions to soak them in Vinegar before you wash them (this keeps them from fading as quick) After soaking them in Vinegar for 30 minutes it says to wash as normal avoiding harsh detergents i.e Tide. I questioned the woman behind the counter about this and she says that Tide is very harsh on clothing and clothes will fade faster using this.
    Well I've used Tide for years and never really had a problem..but I did switch..I cant see spending so much money on a harsh detergent.
    .png
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I use Tide, preferrably the Free, and have not really been happy with the results, so all these other tips are FABULOUS! :lol:
    Minneapolis, MN
  • melloweermelloweer Posts: 2,308Registered Users
    I use Tide Free also, but have been happy with it hehehehe. I don't have to use very much detergent at all (we have a water softner) and I run an extra rinse cycle. It works great for my family.
  • aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Posts: 636Registered Users
    My vote was for Cheer. I have been using it for 4+ years. When I started dating my current boyfriend this is what he used. I bought Tide once and his poor sensitive skin got irritated. :roll: He's awfully picky about laundry soap for someone who has never done a load of laundry the entire time I've dated him. :evil:

We bought a high efficiency washer and dryer so we had to start buying the special Cheer and the bottles are just too small! I guess the idea is that you use less detergent and do larger loads. But still it seems like we go through it fast.
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    i use tide and these fabric softener sheets:
    B000B4RF6M.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    We use tide. We recently switched from All (and before that, it was Cheer) becauase it wasn't doing a very good job. We got the Tide with the color-safe bleach in it. It's nice, and the clothes are coming out of the wash much nicer, now. We use bounty dryer sheets (off and on, we usually use them when we don't use fabric softener), and Snuggle fabric softener.

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    currently i'm really liking method.. i also really like the philosophy behind the company :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • outtahereouttahere Posts: 343Registered Users
    Purex. My mom told me that Tide builds up in washing machines more easily than other brands, so I avoid it. It also has an awfully strong odor, and I'm sensitive to fragrances. I buy Purex because it's cheap and it gets the job done. I think it was someone on this board that recommended it to me.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Other. We've been using our grocery store's brand detergent for a while now, and it works great! And the price ($3 for... a gallon, I think?) can't be beat!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    I have been using Tide Free for years and am happy with it. Lately, I've been adding the Oxyclean to the whites (tip from the board here). :)

I recently bought some scented Tide (just checked-- Glacier scent). DH talked me into it since it was on sale. It is WAY too strong scented and I can't wait until I run out of it. I'm surprised DS's ecsema (sp?) isn't acting up.

Great poll! Gives me new ideas. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I started using unscented laundry products because my BF was trying to figure out if he was allergic (he wasn't) and now I much prefer them. I dislike walking past someone and smelling their laundry detergent.
    i dislike stepping outdoors and smelling fabric softener or dryer sheets perfuming the air from neighbors' dryer vents!

i hate colognes, perfumes, body sprays, sachets, fragrant soaps, lotions, hair products, underarm deodorants, air fresheners, and basically anything that smells like flowers, potpourri, or candy (except real flowers and candy).

i have a very sensitive olfactory system. i do love the scent of natural lemon, lavender, and peppermint, but only in subtle doses.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    rainshower wrote:
    other

Ditto, but without the extras - since I didn't know about them
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    rainshower wrote:
    i dislike stepping outdoors and smelling fabric softener or dryer sheets perfuming the air from neighbors' dryer vents!
    i hate colognes, perfumes, body sprays, sachets, fragrant soaps, lotions, hair products, underarm deodorants, air fresheners, and basically anything that smells like flowers, potpourri, or candy (except real flowers and candy).

i have a very sensitive olfactory system. i do love the scent of natural lemon, lavender, and peppermint, but only in subtle doses.

Really?

I love that smell. I love walking past the nice manhattan buildings in the winter with the warm laundry smell coming out of the vents. I just bought laundry scented air freshener.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I use anything "Free & Clear". But for the most part/lately it's been All because of the coupons I get for that brand. So I voted for All.