Is citric acid effective as a preservative in homemade mixtures ?

taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
TIA

Comments

• belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    Citric Acid will slow down the growth of bacteria as bacteria do not like highly acidic conditions. howver, CA will not preserve your homemade products indefinitely. If you are only planning on using CA as a preservative then I would recommend using up the product quickly. Mold and bacteria can still grow on your product even if you use CA because CA is not an antimicrobial. CA is a food grade preservative. Notice that food with CA can still grow mold on it, even though it is bacteria free.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Thanks, how long do you think it will last if citric acid is used as a preservative ? Could it last up to a week, or not even ? How about using CA together with GSE ? Will that keep it a bit longer ?
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    taltal wrote: »
    Thanks, how long do you think it will last if citric acid is used as a preservative ? Could it last up to a week, or not even ? How about using CA together with GSE ? Will that keep it a bit longer ?

You can use CA and GSE together. But I've used GSE alone in my FSG and left it on the bathroom counter safely for 2 weeks. I'm not sure how long any other type of product would last since it all depends on the type of ingredients you are using. It should last a week. It's really just trial and error and what you are comfortable with.

If you don't want to constantly keep making new batches of product, try making a larger batch, preserve it, bottle up a weeks worth and try freezing the rest of it. You can see if that works.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlyPeach592CurlyPeach592 Posts: 7Registered Users
    What is GSE?

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    What is GSE?

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Grapefruit seed extract :)
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file