CurlTalk

cg friendly shanpoo

kuromikuromi Posts: 30Registered Users
hey i am thinking about starting the cg method but my hair gets oily like every day and its not just the root its all over except then ends which i need to get cut cause their damaged but i was wondering is their any shampoos i could by in the store like cvs or walgreens ?

Comments

• dark_wavesdark_waves Posts: 611Registered Users
    A lot of CG's use a "low-poo", which is a sulfate free shampoo.

I've heard of a lot of girls who were oily before they went CG, but when they started co-washing their scalp changed. I've also heard your scalp over-produces the oils to protect it from the harsh sulfates in regular shampoo.

Anyway, I think you may want to try to just co-wash first to see how you like it and if it doesn't work then add in the low-poo as needed. You will learn what your hair likes.

I personally use a sulfate free shampoo everyday because my waves like it, and I like it.

If you do decide to go CG you will need to do a final sulfate shampoo to get all the silicone's out of your hair.

I think CVS carries the Giovanni line. I use and LOVE the 50:50 shampoo and conditioner - both are CG. If you do use a co-wash the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner is popular.

HTH
    FIA: 2b/cFii
    normal porosity
  • EuterpeEuterpe Posts: 144Registered Users
    dark_waves wrote: »

I've heard of a lot of girls who were oily before they went CG, but when they started co-washing their scalp changed. I've also heard your scalp over-produces the oils to protect it from the harsh sulfates in regular shampoo.

Anyway, I think you may want to try to just co-wash first to see how you like it and if it doesn't work then add in the low-poo as needed.
    HTH

I can't recommend any products really as I don't use shampoo right now. Burt's Bees is the only one i own right now, and it didn't work well for me, but may for you.

But just want to agree with and add to what darkwaves said.

I was concerned about going CG too, as my hair used to get really oily. It wouldn't even last 24 hours without it looking awful at the roots, and if I had to go longer than that, it would be unbearable. My hair would be terrible all the way down to the last few inches, where it would be a poofy dry mess!

It turned out though that sulfate shampoo was causing the issue. I didn't even have the yucky phase that some seem to go through in their first week or two of CG. I can now go 48 hours without washing and there's not a bit of oil or greasiness in sight!

So yeah, echoing what dark said about trying co-washing first :)
    CG since 11/24/09
    2-something! F-Mii, Med porosity

Currently trying -
    Co-wash : V05 Free Me Freesia
    Rinse-out : Garnier Triple Nutrition
    LI : Garnier Sleek and Shine
    HETT mousse and gel
  • kuromikuromi Posts: 30Registered Users
    oh thanks for all your help i actually dont use anything that has silicones for conditioner i use suave fresh mountain strawberry and for styler i use l.a curl gel with biotera curl creme or herbel essence mousse and sometimes i use aussie leave in cnditioner plus mousse but im not sure if that has sillicones
  • E2eE2e Posts: 246Registered Users
    My scalp used to be the same way, now i only poo before i do the PT (because the directions say so) and that's twice a week. I started out washing every other day, for a few weeks then i changed to every 3 days and so on. Eventually it got my scalp used to it and now its fine.
    FIA:2b/cMiiF
    Hair :love7: protein

Bellydancer in the Order of the Curly Crusaders.