Red Raspberry Leaf and Spikenard During Pregnancy

CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Does anyone have any experience with these two herbs during pregnancy?

I've done some research, and it seems that drinking RRL tea during pregnancy and spikenard during the last few weeks, will help ease and make for a more speedy labor.

Just wanted to get some personal anecdotes, if anyone has any to share.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know anything about spikenard. I had never heard of it before, and when I tried to google it, I found it seems to be related to valerian, but I saw a couple sites that cautioned against its use in pregnancy. So, rely on your herbalist or midwife for that one.

I drank red raspberry leaf tea throughout my last pregnancy. It's a great uterine tonic...really exercises the uterus and gets it in shape for labor. I felt like consistent and long-term use of RRL tea made all the difference in my having a fast and effective labor and getting the VBAC of my dreams.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I drank RRL tea consistently from my 2nd tri onward. I was up to a good 3+ cups a day by the end of my 3rd tri.

My uterus definitely was nicely toned, and went down quickly. As for the speedy labor -- I had quite the opposite... sorry :(
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    I drank RRL tea during pregnancy as well and believe it helped me have a successful VBAC, as far as fast labor I'm not sure what would be considered fast. I called the midwife at midnight when the contractions were about five minutes apart and I had Izzy at 6:31 am.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I drank RRL tea through my pregnancy with Abram, 2 cups a day in the 2nd trimester and 3 cups a day in the 3rd. I just used loose tea and brewed it in a French press. My labor wasn't super-quick, but quicker than my first, and once my water was broken it was very fast. My uterus also got "back in shape" down to its normal size pretty quickly after delivery (which, as a side note, came with VERY painful postpartum contractions, which I didn't have with my first and no one ever told me about!)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    Delma wrote: »
    I drank RRL tea during pregnancy as well and believe it helped me have a successful VBAC, as far as fast labor I'm not sure what would be considered fast. I called the midwife at midnight when the contractions were about five minutes apart and I had Izzy at 6:31 am.

I would consider this fast! My contractions were 5 minutes apart from about midnight this time, and Abram wasn't born until almost 8:00 PM. And it would have been even longer probably if my midwife hadn't broken my water (though it was already leaking). I was only 3cm when she broke it at 4:00 PM and he was out 4 hours later.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    "Fast" is a relative word. A textbook normal labor is supposed to last about 10 hours. My previous labors were 20-30+ hours, so I would consider my VBAC baby (the pregnancy where I drank RRL tea) at 7 hours to be very fast.

And Pixie...those painful afterpains are "normal" and get worse with each subsequent baby. By the time you get to #3 or #4, they're fairly horrendous.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    "Fast" is a relative word. A textbook normal labor is supposed to last about 10 hours. My previous labors were 20-30+ hours, so I would consider my VBAC baby (the pregnancy where I drank RRL tea) at 7 hours to be very fast.

And Pixie...those painful afterpains are "normal" and get worse with each subsequent baby. By the time you get to #3 or #4, they're fairly horrendous.

Oh crap....:eek: I can't seem to remember what the afterpains were like last time....
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    I drank RRL tea through my pregnancy with Abram, 2 cups a day in the 2nd trimester and 3 cups a day in the 3rd. I just used loose tea and brewed it in a French press. My labor wasn't super-quick, but quicker than my first, and once my water was broken it was very fast. My uterus also got "back in shape" down to its normal size pretty quickly after delivery (which, as a side note, came with VERY painful postpartum contractions, which I didn't have with my first and no one ever told me about!)

Yeah, mine were pretty horrible the second time around too, and nobody warned me about it so it really freaked me out.

I drank RLL tea throughout both pregnancies, but I have no idea if it helped or not. My first labor was long (37 hours), and my second was pit induced, so I have no clue how it would have gone on its own. My uterus did go down quickly both times, if that's any indication.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    These are just the sorts of things I wanted to know about. Thanks ladies.

I don't have a midwife, just a mother who is insisting that I consult my Back To Eden book, as she did.
    Sorry Cocoa, I did not reply to you. I did not use either of those herbs for my pregnancies, and went pretty quickly.

This is what I've heard.... now. The nurse at the hospital/birth center made a really good analogy - she compared the uterus to a rubberband, and each time you stretch it out it takes more work to get it back down to its original size. I'm really scared about how they'll be after subsequent babies though because even this time, I found them extremely painful. Worse than the labor contractions before my water broke.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    ruralcurls wrote: »

Oh crap....:eek: I can't seem to remember what the afterpains were like last time....

My best friend has 5 kids and she would sign on with RCW, but I had none with #2 and only mild cramping with #3. I also had a 4 hr labor with #2 (from the first contraction I noticed until she was born) and a 3 hr. one with #3, so maybe I'm just a freak. :geek:
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ruralcurls wrote: »
    Sorry Cocoa, I did not reply to you. I did not use either of those herbs for my pregnancies, and went pretty quickly.

Oh please, it's fine! Side discussions can lead to interesting information.

I didn't know that there were after pains... Something else to worry about! :sad:
    cosmicfly wrote: »
    My best friend has 5 kids and she would sign on with RCW, but I had none with #2 and only mild cramping with #3. I also had a 4 hr labor with #2 (from the first contraction I noticed until she was born) and a 3 hr. one with #3, so maybe I'm just a freak. :geek:

Num 2 and 3 were born 3 hrs after I noticed first contraction, I don't think you are a freak. Or maybe we are freaks together?:blob:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file