She lost a lb, I need supply help

deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
We had Callies 6 month well check today. She has lost 1 lb since her 4 month check and dropped from the 75th pecentile to the 10th. Dr. is concered (as am I) and she goes back for a weight check in 1 month.

I am trying to cope with the fact that I feel like a falure. This is supposed to be something I am able to provide for my baby, I would think after not being able to BF Steven this would be a little easier, but I think it is worse as she is a healthy baby and we were doing just great before christmas time. With him, atleast I was able to justify the fact that he had a heart condition and was not allowed to breastfeed. With Callie, we have done so well and now this. The main kink in our nursing happened when we went to visit my parents for a week and her whole schedule just got messed up.

She only nurses well 3 times a day if I am lucky. I put her to the breast more often, but she pulls off a lot to look around. Even when it is just the two of us in a dark room. I know this is normal behavior, but I think it has officially taken a toll on my supply. I need to get my supply up within the next few weeks so she can start gaining. I feed her on demand and then some, although she does sleep through the night (and waking her to eat was useless when I was doing it)

The goal is for her to gain atleast 1 lb in the next month. Pedi is not pushing formula (yet) although she would like us to start mixing some powder and cereal with baby food 1-2 times a day. She said I could give Callie high calorie formula (just like we did with Steven) but did not push the issue with me, just wrote down the direction.

So anyway, please give me all of your milk producing tips. I know oatmeal, and although regular oatmeal makes me gag (i have tried to get it down and I really cannot get past the texture), I have some oatmeal cookies in the oven now. I am also going to up my fenugreek. I thought about mothers milk tea, but heard it tastes like licorice and that is a taste I just cannot do.
58eCm4.png
SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this! I don't have any great tips for increasing your supply except to maybe add in some pumping sessions. But after 6 months of age, I wouldn't be thinking about formula. At that point, if she needs more, you can give her some high-calorie solid foods. Avocado is a great one that comes to mind, or toast dipped in olive oil.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    We had a friend of the family with the same problem and she was told to drink Red Raspberry tea (or take capsules), Blessed Thistle capsules, and Brewer's Yeast. I'll see if I can find a link about the red raspberry and blessed thistle.....
    ((again, sorry about the lurking. It just pops up on the newest updates....:))

ETA: Found it!!
    There are certain food supplements as well as prescription medications that may increase your milk supply. Before using any of these, it is important to rule out other problems such as illness in mother or baby. Many herbal supplements have been used for many years to increase milk production, with the most popular being Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and Red Raspberry. Brewers Yeast (containing B vitamins) is another commonly recommended treatment for low milk supply. I usually recommend that mothers try Fenugreek capsules (2-3 capsules taken 3 times daily) along with Blessed Thistle tablets (same dosage). You many want to add Brewers Yeast tablets (3 tablets taken with meals, 3 times per day) and Red Raspberry tea or capsules several times each day. I know that seems like a lot of capsules to take, but if you don’t want to take them all, the Fenugreek seems to be the most effective. Fenugreek is rated GRAS (generally regarded as safe), but when taken in large doses may cause lowered blood sugar, so should be used with caution by diabetics. It is in the same family with peanuts and chickpeas, and may cause an allergic reaction in moms who are allergic to them. It may cause a maple syrup odor in urine and sweat. For the majority of mothers, it causes no problems, and can be very effective. It has not been known to cause any problems for the babies of the mothers who take it.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know people seem to love Lactation Cookies

Also, up your water intake and make yourself at least one cup of Organic Mothers Milk Tea each day.

Before pumping rub some olive oil on your nipple and the shield. You can also rub olive oil on your nipple before nursing.

As far as the dropping percentiles, don't be so concerned about which percentile she is in. It is typical for breastfed babies to make huge spurts (big curve) in growth for the first six months of life and then start to follow a flatter line (less curve). The CDC growth charts do not account for the growth typically seen in a bf infant -- those charts are based on the growth of a formula fed infant.
    Here's are two growth charts for comparison The CDC girls growth chart and Kellymom's bf girls growth chart.

Also, I second what Pixie said regarding high caloric snacks.

How much length did she put on during the two months between visits?

Oh, and try try try to get in at least one nap a day. Napping/sleep does wonders for milk.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    deezee02 wrote: »
    So anyway, please give me all of your milk producing tips. I know oatmeal, and although regular oatmeal makes me gag (i have tried to get it down and I really cannot get past the texture), I have some oatmeal cookies in the oven now. I am also going to up my fenugreek. I thought about mothers milk tea, but heard it tastes like licorice and that is a taste I just cannot do.

Just noticed that. I cannot stand the taste of licorice either, and the tea does have fennel and aniseseed -- both which taste similar to licorice.

But this is how I prepare it, and it's tolerable to me.

I heat up two cups water and add two tea bags and steep. I also add sugar to taste (which is plenty -- probably too much :lol: ). Once the tea is steeped I pour it over ice into a carafe and keep it in the fridge. I drink maybe 8 oz at a time, over ice.
    Prepared cold and sweet makes the tea taste fine to me. I can't drink it hot -- I've tried and it tastes too licoricey. HTH :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    How much does she weigh? Is she alert and healthy? Meeting her developmental milestones? Peeing and pooping well? I think those things are more important than weight numbers. Growth charts and percentiles are only a "screening" technique, and a rough one at that. They are there to alert to potential problems. If everything else is fine, there is nothing inherently wrong with being in the 10th pecentile.

My daughter was very thin like that. She was born at 8.5 pounds, and gained a lot, very quickly, in the first weeks, but then gradually and consistently dropped in percentile over the next year. She was only 16 pounds at a year and eventually fell off the bottom of the weight chart. She was still breastfed full-time, and the ped really pressured me heavily to wean her. I felt she was very healthy, just thin, so I submitted to their blood tests (anemia and so forth) and when it all came back normal, I continued as we had been.

My daughter is still thin. It's just the way she is.
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    You could get fenugreek capsules or a mothers milk blend in a tincture form if you really can't stand the tea.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't exclusively BF, but my son did the same. He grew very quickly in the first 6 months or so, then plateaued.

6 months is typically an active age. I remember hearing or reading about that once babies become more mobile that you can expect changes in eating and weight gain. They're too busy to eat.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I would not be so worried about her dropping on the charts if she had atleast stayed close to her weight. What is concerning to me is the loss of 1 lb.

She was tiny at birth (6lbs 14 oz) went down to 6.5 lbs, but gained up to 8ish by 2 weeks...then was 11ish lbs at 2 months and almost 15 by 4 months...now she is down to 13 lbs 9 oz...so she not only dropped in the charts, but lost weight in general.

Her head and height are staying on track, and she actually grew 3 inches in the past 2 months. She is producing wet diapers (around 6 a day) and dirty (typically 1-2 times a day, but sometimes every 2-3 days). She is hitting the developmental milestones also, rolling both ways, grabbing at toys, tripodding some of the time(sitting up with arm support). I noticed she was thining out, but I did not think she would lose weight in the process. The dr. mentioned she still had good fat on her bum, which is a good thing (this part cracked me up).

DH and I were both tiny kids, DH went through a huge growth spurt in 9th grade where he gained all of his weight. Although I have put on some weight in the past few years, I was always a very tiny kid also.

I am going to look into more suppliments, I am already maxed out in fenugreek, so maybe I need to take a break from it and try something else for a while.

goldy - I will try the mothers milk tea the way you make it, can you just get it at Krogers or do I have to order it? I need to make some lactation cookies, I have regular oatmeal cookies now, but those are suppossed to work better. I have also tried to stop napping these past few weeks, but today rather than pushing through, I did take a nap. I find myself tired a lot and just trying to get through so I can sleep at night, but then I am up until 1am anyways. I am going to try to add a little rest in during the day also. since even when I do stay up, I am up late, thus probably not getting enough sleep, I did not think about that. I also forgot about the olive oil, I will have to try that tonight when I pump.

Pixie - that is what I was thinking also...I would rather increase her solids and hold off on babyled for a while than introduce formula and stop BFing. I am going to basically give her the foods I gave to Steven to get him to gain weight.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like all her weight got burned up by that growth spurt. Growing up burns a lot of calories I imagine, combined with a higher activity level, I can see weight loss happening. If everything else is ok, I wouldn't worry too much. Healthy babies eat as much as they need, and things tend to even out in the end.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this! I don't have any great tips for increasing your supply except to maybe add in some pumping sessions. But after 6 months of age, I wouldn't be thinking about formula. At that point, if she needs more, you can give her some high-calorie solid foods. Avocado is a great one that comes to mind, or toast dipped in olive oil.

Precisely what we were recommended to do with DS, who lost a lb between 5 months and 7 months. We added in some solids - avocado, french fries (homemade), full-fat yogurt, veggies with butter.

Our ped was an elderly Chinese woman and she recommended that we give him whatever he wanted off our plates once we'd ruled out the obvious allergies.

It worked - he gained back that 1lb and then some within the next month.

I always felt like I was struggling with my supply after 6 months or so, so I have no suggestions in that regard. But once we added solids (round about 7-8 months), DS never seemed frustrated at the breast.
  • Maxs MomMaxs Mom Posts: 64Registered Users
    You could ask your MD for an RX for Reglan 10 mg tabs. You take one tab on day one. On day 2 you take one tablet 2 times daily. Days 3-12 you take one tab 3 times daily. Day 13 you take one tab 2 times daily and on day 14 you take on tab. It has worked well for the patients in our practice.
    Hilo, Hawaii
    MOD/GC since 5/08-no silicones or SLS
    2b/3a Long (waist length when wet) , THICK and course
    Lo-Poo-Jessicurl HCC,KC come clean, CJ daily fix conditioner
    Condish-Leave in-KCNT,Moisture Maniac
    Styling-re:coil, KCCC, BSRHG
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maxs Mom wrote: »
    You could ask your MD for an RX for Reglan 10 mg tabs. You take one tab on day one. On day 2 you take one tablet 2 times daily. Days 3-12 you take one tab 3 times daily. Day 13 you take one tab 2 times daily and on day 14 you take on tab. It has worked well for the patients in our practice.

Works well...except Reglan used for increasing milk production is being linked to neurological disorders in women and their nursing children. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
  • mom2e3mom2e3 Posts: 73Registered Users
    First off, you are not a failure. Not at all. You are giving your child so many great things through breastfeeding. Besides, six months (and counting) of breastfeeding is an incredible feat. In 2006, only 14% of moms exclusively breastfeed--so you're in an elite goup!

It sounds like you have a great plan. Introduce solids sounds like a terrific idea. Try and offer the breast first though. Supply has so much to do with demand. Pumping is okay, but the very sure way of increasing your supply is to have baby actively at your breast more often. So, so hard to do when there are other, more interesting things around to see! It gets more difficult as they become more and more mobile, too. All you can do is offer it to her.

Is there a time when she is much more interested in breastfeeding? Maybe you could just do a bunch of cluster feeding around that time?

It really is impressive that your ped didn't jump on the formula bandwagon! And check out Kellymom.com for more breastfeeding help/increasing supply help.
    Mostly sure I'm a 2b/Mii
    Just starting out (and brining the entire family along for the ride):
    CO-wash...V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie
    Rinse-out Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream Conditioner Moisture Works for Dry or Damaged Hair
    Leave-in Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream Sleek and Shine
    Gel...Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
    Wish me luck!
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    She was showing signs of dehydration (less wet diapers, hard bowel movements, lack of tears) so we did introduce some bottles to her.

We upped her solid intake and added water in a sippy. I tried to feed her more, but she just becomes more frustrated with me, this I become frustrated with the fact that I am not producing enough to suite her needs. I tried wearing her and letting her "snack" but all she wants to do lately is be worn facing outwards so she can see the world, so she just gets mad at me and tries to flip her little self around.

I am currently pumping during the day once or twice after she eats, along with a marathon pumping session every night at midnight (pump for 15 mins, off 10, on 10, off 10, on 10). I am drinking 3-5 glasses of mothers milk tea (MUCH better cold) and eating lactation cookies. I have stopped Fenugreek as I felt it was not working anymore. I plan on giving my body time to rest from it and then trying it again in a few weeks. This weekend since I do not have anything going on I am hoping to beable to set 2-3 days aside to just focus on feeding her every 2 hours during the day and pumping for 15 mins after each session.

My production has increased a little, and what we have found is working (for the moment) is to give her a bottle of high calorie formula at 10ish pm, since I pump at midnight to compensate what she is drinking.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • mom2e3mom2e3 Posts: 73Registered Users
    You are a goddess. Many hugs to you as your work through this. Your baby is so lucky to have you.:love4:
    Mostly sure I'm a 2b/Mii
    Just starting out (and brining the entire family along for the ride):
    CO-wash...V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie
    Rinse-out Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream Conditioner Moisture Works for Dry or Damaged Hair
    Leave-in Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream Sleek and Shine
    Gel...Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
    Wish me luck!
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Keep up the good work, Mama. It is so hard. I always found pumping at night to be the worst.

I agree about that tea being better cold. Maybe make a pitcher of it iced and keep it in the fridge?
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    also, do not underestimate the value of resting, staying super well hydrated, and nourishing yourself well. these things will go a long way toward helping you keep your supply up.

best wishes, mama!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    I don't think Mothers Milk tea will do much unless you drink a ton of it. There just aren't enough herbs in there. You need at least 3500 mg of fenugreek a day to notice a difference. Fenugreek also works better when taken with blessed thistle. I have just bought the herbs separately and take the proper number of pills to get the right dosage. I developed postpartum anxiety when Liam was 3 weeks old and it inhibited my ability to letdown. I went on meds, but this was after a week of hell with feedings. My supply wasn't horrible, but took a hit. My supply was back to normal after two days of herbs.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file