Post partum bleeding (Warning..may be TMI)

Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
So while in the hospital the bleeding had been dying down considerably..from bright red and a lot to kind of a mucus-y orange/yellow color and the doc said that was good and that it should be doing that.

Since Friday night I've had like a sudden onset of bright red blood..and quite a bit compared to what it was the day before...that has lasted and hasn't seemed to let up at all since. It's like I'm bleeding from delivery all over again. I called the doctor on call yesterday and she didn't seem too concerned, but I'm concerned. I don't know why it would start up again like that. Does this sound normal to anyone else?

I'm tempted to wait till tomorrow and call my regular doctor because I don't really want to take a trip to the ER for it, but if it's something bad I want to know too!

TIA
3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse

Comments

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You may just be doing too much and not drinking enough water.

Try taking a nap and taking it very easy. Also, drink tons of water.

See if that helps.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    You may have over-exerted yourself. I had something similar happen when I wore my baby on a long walk 5 days postpartum. My bleeding got noticeably heavier and redder for a few days. Try taking it easy the next few days.

I think they say if you pass a clot larger than an egg, to call your doctor. I don't think it warrants an ER trip, they will just make you wait around forever and then charge you a lot of money.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I had 5 long weeks of post partum bleeding this time around...I was getting worried, but then I realized that with a 3 year old at home, I was not really resting like I should have been. I found when I upped my fluids and rested, it slowed down quite a bit.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The natural progression of lochia (post-partum bleeding) is red to pink to white. It can take up to 8 weeks to totally go away, and that's OK and totally normal. The concerning things would be if you're filling more than a pad in 2 hours, or if you're lochia regresses back to a color you've previously had. Regression is almost always due to over-exertion. Even if you're feeling fine, your lochia will tell you if you're doing too much. Be sure to rest each day and put your feet up and resume your normal activities slowly. Try to limit stairs to once per day. Really. Stairs are a huge culprit in over-doing it.
  • Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
    The natural progression of lochia (post-partum bleeding) is red to pink to white. It can take up to 8 weeks to totally go away, and that's OK and totally normal. The concerning things would be if you're filling more than a pad in 2 hours, or if you're lochia regresses back to a color you've previously had. Regression is almost always due to over-exertion. Even if you're feeling fine, your lochia will tell you if you're doing too much. Be sure to rest each day and put your feet up and resume your normal activities slowly. Try to limit stairs to once per day. Really. Stairs are a huge culprit in over-doing it.

Once per day?!?! That's going to be tough, bedrooms upstairs, bathroom and kitchen on main floor and working shower in basement bathroom...I'll just have to try to limit as much as I can.
    3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
    I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Jess2316 wrote: »
    Once per day?!?! That's going to be tough, bedrooms upstairs, bathroom and kitchen on main floor and working shower in basement bathroom...I'll just have to try to limit as much as I can.

My lochia got heavier once I was home... like you our bedroom is upstairs with the rest of the house pretty much downstairs. I would have to get up in the morning and shower (my husband would take the baby in the am so that I could shower) and get myself downstairs for the rest of the day. I would nap while baby napped.. he napped in his pack n play downstairs and I napped on my couch. After dinner I would go back upstairs for the evening.

If you don't have somewhere to nap downstairs, could you set something up? I found it was necessary to be in close proximity of the kitchen so I could grab quick snacks easily.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Jess2316 wrote: »

Well, that explains your heavier bleeding. Really, you need to limit the stairs for a few days. You're prolonging your healing by not resting enough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file