Mixing with BTMS

NeoMeNeoMe Posts: 10Registered Users
I have a question about Btms. Can you use it in a hair butter recipe that does not have water in it? The ingredients I would be using are, mango butter, cupuacu butter coconut oil and Btms

I have, following instructions on this board, made a hair butter which turned out great but I want to add Btms for its conditioning properties.

Does Btms need water to be effective in my mix?

I'm hoping some of you more experienced mixtresses can help a newbie out. :cheers:

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    BTMS is an emulsifier (mixes oils and water/aloe vera juice). Emulsifiers work by combining water and oil (one either end of its molecule--water on one end and oil on the other).

I'm not sure how it will turn out without water (you could try and see), but it won't be the same as if you made a hair cream
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • NeoMeNeoMe Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks for responding coilynap. As you say without water it might not be creamy but now that the idea is in my head i'm going to mix up a small batch and see how it comes out.
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    NeoMe,

The other ingredients you have in your cream are also conditioning agents. So if the sole purpose of using BTMS is for its conditioning properties, then you don't necessarily need it. If you are using it to also make your product creamy, then you will need a water based liquid. The product you are planning on making without the water is going to be very thick. Your other option if you don't want to use water is to use an oil liquid to thin it out, that is if your hair can handle all that oil. Not sure what the texture will be like, since all your current ingredients are solid at room temp (even the coconut oil) or cooler, but good luck. And let us know how it turns out.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file