NYC Summer Natural hair gathering

xoxoKev31xoxoKev31 Registered Users Posts: 16
Hey ladies! So I came up with this great idea that we should have a HUGE natural gathering in the summer. I was thinking it could be held at central park, and we could have food, drinks, maybe some music, and of course products! But I don't want to exclude anyone, I think it would be great if there were relaxed ladies, men, and children. We should show our support for one another and stop this whole natural vs relaxed B.S.! And maybe even help relaxed ladies who want to go natural but don't have the confidence or knowledge. And I'm hoping for like 100+ people(a girl can dream right lol). Tell me what you think! And include any tips/suggestions to make this gathering a success!

XOXO,
Kevina

Comments

• NubianCoilsNubianCoils Registered Users Posts: 2,149
    This sounds like a great idea! But the organization of it will take some serious planning and leadership. For 100+ people that means catering, right? And we would need people to definitely RSVP in order to have enough food and know how much to charge people...but it can be done! I say if we get enough people in on it, we can do it!!!!
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • xoxoKev31xoxoKev31 Registered Users Posts: 16
    This sounds like a great idea! But the organization of it will take some serious planning and leadership. For 100+ people that means catering, right? And we would need people to definitely RSVP in order to have enough food and know how much to charge people...but it can be done! I say if we get enough people in on it, we can do it!!!!

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking catering but since its the summer how about a bbq? We could cook ourselves instead of paying for a caterer, I have family members that would be willing to cook. Just a thought. But I really don't know the rules and regulations of central park, so that's something we would have to look into. But I live next to a huge park in Brooklyn that allows BBQ's and loud music, etc. As far as charging people, I was thinking we could set up a table and charge people x amount of money and then we give them a wrist band or something. And they would need that in order to receive food or anything else. And also I saw that naturallycurly.com sponsored the LA meetup, so I want to look into that.
    Let's make this a team effort! But not too many people or it will start to get chaotic. lol
    So I just looked into central park and there's like (exaggerating) 20 different permits you have to get. So that's a no lol Kaiser Park(Brooklyn) is huge, you don't need a permit to bbq or play music. We may need a permit to secure a large enough area for the event. And if we are generating revenue we may need a permit for that as well.
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Registered Users Posts: 793 Curl Neophyte
    I would love to help with this. If we're looking into getting that many ladies I would like to send out notification to the hair care companies so that we could get some sponsorship and maybe they could pay for that. And then we could have the vendors provide us with gift bags what do you think? It would be even better if we could do it during national curly hair day or curls day (I saw something about that on this site). It would kind of alleviate us from financially liability. Or we could say we're going for a record of the largest gathering of natural haired women at an event. That could go in the Guinness Book of world records
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    I would love to help with this. If we're looking into getting that many ladies I would like to send out notification to the hair care companies so that we could get some sponsorship and maybe they could pay for that. And then we could have the vendors provide us with gift bags what do you think? It would be even better if we could do it during national curly hair day or curls day (I saw something about that on this site). It would kind of alleviate us from financially liability. Or we could say we're going for a record of the largest gathering of natural haired women at an event. That could go in the Guinness Book of world records

I would love your help. I was thinking about trying to get sponsorship but I had no clue how to go about that so thanks. Naturally curly hair day? I've never heard of that, I'm going to look into that. Right now we need to figure out location, catering, and getting the sponsorship. Email me:: [email protected] :happy7:
  • NayaNaya Registered Users Posts: 922
    I don't live in NY anymore.. but if this event happens i'm definitely willing to fly out there for it! I know some other ladies in the Chicagoland area that would come out as well. I'll be checking back and forth to stay posted! :)
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • hamptonsfnsthamptonsfnst Registered Users Posts: 106
    Hi everyone,

I haven't logged on in a while yet am happy to share with you that I recently BCd about 2 weeks ago and am loving the freedom of my hair.

I recently began to inquire with other curlies over in CurlyNikki's world about arranging another meetup next month in May, for the lovely curlies of NYC. We haven't set a date, yet would prefer to stick with a Saturday and think it's fair to consider places to meet in Manhattan than Brooklyn like our most recent meetup in January. So please start thinking about potential places where you would like to eat and meet and discuss all things about natural hair.
  • hamptonsfnsthamptonsfnst Registered Users Posts: 106
    Hi ladies,

Apparently a meetup has already be arranged for next month on Saturday, May 8 @ 2p. Here is the link for additional info: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=101028 I hope to see you there.
  • belizbeliz Registered Users Posts: 11
    Aww man I guess I missed the event, is there any other natural gathering in the city this summer, I would love to go and I'm sure my natural friends would want to go as well

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file