Engorgement...how do I relieve it please?

Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
I have a brand new baby at home and my milk has come in and is starting to hurt. I am breastfeeding but her little tummy can only take in so much. How can I relieve the pain? How long does this "engorgement" phase last and how do I know when it's over?
3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse

Comments

• goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The best way to relieve engorgement is put that baby to breast often.

There are lots of tips, in the thread deezee linked, on how to soften the breast (draw nipple out) before putting the babe to breast.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • poisonivypoisonivy Posts: 1,551Registered Users
    You can always express a little with your hand. It won't last long.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you aren't opposed to taking medication, I found that ibuprofen helped with the pain and the swelling a bit.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • mom2e3mom2e3 Posts: 73Registered Users
    If you're going to get engorged, it usually happens between day 3 and day 6. As has been recommended, putting that baby to breast often helps a lot. The recommendation from The Breastfeeding Answer Book is to nurse baby 8 to 12 times in a 24 hour period, and every two hours while you're engorged. IIRC, the engorgement shouldn't last more than a day or so. Definitely call your MD if it's lasting more that 48 hours, AND your doing steps to treat it.

Is the baby able to latch on effectively? Sometimes you can be engorged around your breast, but your areola is soft enough to get a good latch. If that's the case, you're gold. If your areola is hard, too, and baby has difficulty latching, you might need to consider a nipple shield.

Definitely let your baby nurse for as long as she needs on that first breast and then switch. If she's too milk drunk to want that second breast, then express or pump just to comfort (Breastfeeding Answer Book).

You could use cabbage leaves, too. But stop as soon as the engorgement better. Overuse of cabbage leaves has lead to a decrease in supply (Breastfeeding Answer Book). I had engorgement issues with my 3rd baby. Cabbage leaves really worked fantastic for me.

Does the hospital you delivered at have lactation consultants? Don't be afraid to call for help. Even check out your local La Leche group. Leaders are usually available by phone to help you troubleshoot this sort of thing. http://llli.org (I think you need to search by your State).
    Mostly sure I'm a 2b/Mii
    Just starting out (and brining the entire family along for the ride):
    CO-wash...V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie
    Rinse-out Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream Conditioner Moisture Works for Dry or Damaged Hair
    Leave-in Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream Sleek and Shine
    Gel...Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
    Wish me luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file