Is pre-wash necessary?

I saw a lot of people do it and was wondering if its needed or just preferred by some. I just started co washing and ran out of conditioner so also if you have any recomendations on that too please!
My hair I think is a 2c or 3a Im not completely sure also can get really dry prone to frizz. I love this method of taking care of my hair and it has improved dramatically already! So any advice ya'll can give Im willing to try!

Ps whats the verdict on johnson and johnson baby shampoo? I like it for removal of build up.

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    I'm not sure what you mean by pre-wash.

And TBH I don't remember the final verdict on J&J, I'm thinking it's a CG no-no but a search on baby shampoo might bring back some information for you.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • AmericanWomanAmericanWoman Registered Users Posts: 46
    The general concensus(meaning what I've read on hair boards, not my own experiance) on baby shampoo is that its ph is too alkalin for hair. The alkalinity is what makes it "no more tears" if it gets in baby's eyes. Most people assume if it's for babies, it should be gentle on hair,, but it's pretty harsh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jillylittle89jillylittle89 Registered Users Posts: 12
    I'm not sure what you mean by pre-wash.

And TBH I don't remember the final verdict on J&J, I'm thinking it's a CG no-no but a search on baby shampoo might bring back some information for you.

some posts I ready were just talking about it and I got a little confused! :)

and I looked at J&J on this site and it was kinda mixed reviews ...
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I;m actually not sure if prewash is a real term or not. It may be. I use it in my signature to describe how I use coconut oil. I don't know what else to call it.
    I add coconut oil to my hair a minimum of 10 minutes and up to 1 hour before I wash it. Coconut oil adds moisture, prevents protein loss and prevents hygral fatigue. It cowashes right out for me.
    Some people add olive oil to their hair before they wash it. I find olive oil to hard to wash out. There are probably other things people use too.
    You don't have to do one if you don't want to. I think most people don't.
    If you are looking for a new cowash, there are lots of threads on this. The blog the wavy tales has lots of product reviews and I'm sure has cowash reviews too.
    HTH
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • jillylittle89jillylittle89 Registered Users Posts: 12
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I;m actually not sure if prewash is a real term or not. It may be. I use it in my signature to describe how I use coconut oil. I don't know what else to call it.
    I add coconut oil to my hair a minimum of 10 minutes and up to 1 hour before I wash it. Coconut oil adds moisture, prevents protein loss and prevents hygral fatigue. It cowashes right out for me.
    Some people add olive oil to their hair before they wash it. I find olive oil to hard to wash out. There are probably other things people use too.
    You don't have to do one if you don't want to. I think most people don't.
    If you are looking for a new cowash, there are lots of threads on this. The blog the wavy tales has lots of product reviews and I'm sure has cowash reviews too.
    HTH

Ok thanks I will check it out

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file