CurlTalk

Defining 4a/4b curls

tabbysuetabbysue Posts: 122Registered Users
Happy Thursday ladies I need your help again!

I need help defining my 4a/4b curls. I have a TWA (2 1/2in-3in) and just did the Big Chop a little over a week ago. I'm able to define my 4a curls but the 4b curls aren't cooperating at all. I would like to wear a Wash and Go but when i do it looks crazy because although you can see the corkscrews, there's frizzy hair in between.

I just started using the Eco Styler Gel for curl definition, but i don't think my hair cares for it I noticed that my corkscrews are able to be defined with my cream leave-in but it does haven't good hold.

Can anyone recommend how to define the 4b curls and also know of a styling cream that both moisturizes and defines.

Ladies with TWA: Do you air dry or use a diffuser?

Much appreciated!
Shampoo: TJ Tea Tree Tingle (only to remove buildup)
Co-wash/Detangler: Suave Naturals Conditioner
Leave-in/Styler: Uncle Funky's Curly Magic
2nd day refresher: Uncle Funky's Thirsty Curls
Routine: Wash and Go
Porosity: Normal-High
Texture: Fine/Thin and Kinky

Comments

• Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    I don't have 4b in my hair (I don't think...but I'm always finding random textures in my hair), but I also have a TWA (about 2 inches) and I air dry. However, I also live in a warm climate, so if it is colder you might need to diffuse.

If you hair doesn't like Eco Styler, try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/buylink] or AfroVeda PUR Whipped Gelly. I think both of these are great gels, and have all natural ingredients. Other things that may help define curlies are castor oil, any AfroVeda butters, Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme, aloe vera gel...a heavy, creamy leave-in will also help.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • tabbysuetabbysue Posts: 122Registered Users
    I'll will give [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] a try. I usually comb my leave-in through my hair. After I apply the gel, should i comb through, scrunch, or rake?
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    tabbysue wrote: »
    I'll will give [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] a try. I usually comb my leave-in through my hair. After I apply the gel, should i comb through, scrunch, or rake?

Hey Tabby, if you want to define curls, don't comb your leave-in through...only comb your hair with condish in during your shower... With my TWA, I massage products into my hair, kind of like in a circular motion. That way, they are distributed all over the hair strand w/o messing up my definition. HTH!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    ///
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    I will try this tonite, thanks!
  • TRICH25TRICH25 Posts: 3Registered Users

I need help defining my 4a/4b curls. I have a TWA (2 1/2in-3in) and just did the Big Chop a little over a week ago. I'm able to define my 4a curls but the 4b curls aren't cooperating at all. I would like to wear a Wash and Go but when i do it looks crazy because although you can see the corkscrews, there's frizzy hair in between.

I just started using the Eco Styler Gel for curl definition, but i don't think my hair cares for it I noticed that my corkscrews are able to be defined with my cream leave-in but it does haven't good hold.

Can anyone recommend how to define the 4b curls and also know of a styling cream that both moisturizes and defines.

Much appreciated!

I have the EXACT same hair type and issues with defining my hair and keeping it moisturized. I was starting to feel alone out here.

I just did my big chop the saturday before last, nov 27, and I have the same combination of tightly coiled corkskrews, with frizzy hair throughout.

I try to do the wash n go all the time, and it looks good and curly while it's dripping wet, but as soon as it starts to dry, here comes the frizz, and only some of it looks curly, while the rest looks like a mess.

I've been eyeing and researching the kinky-curly curling custard and knot today, but it costs so much. And nothing else has worked, and I would hate to spend all that money and it not work. But if it does work, then it will be well worth it.

I guess I might have to bite the bullet on this one and just try it. If anyone else has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.
    Type: 3c/4a/4b
    Description: some wavy s patterns, tight coils, some z patterns, and mostly frizz around the sides.
    BC on Nov 27, 2010 (still had some relaxed ends) Officially all natural on Dec 4, 2010.
    Length: 2 inches
    Regimen: Still experimenting
    Products: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo, V05 Tea Therapy Nourishing Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave In, Wonder 8 Oil, :blob7:Via Natural Moisturizing Gel(love, love, love this stuff):blob7:
    TRICH25 wrote: »

Much appreciated!

I have the EXACT same hair type and issues with defining my hair and keeping it moisturized. I was starting to feel alone out here.

I just did my big chop the saturday before last, nov 27, and I have the same combination of tightly coiled corkskrews, with frizzy hair throughout.

I try to do the wash n go all the time, and it looks good and curly while it's dripping wet, but as soon as it starts to dry, here comes the frizz, and only some of it looks curly, while the rest looks like a mess.

I've been eyeing and researching the kinky-curly curling custard and knot today, but it costs so much. And nothing else has worked, and I would hate to spend all that money and it not work. But if it does work, then it will be well worth it.

I guess I might have to bite the bullet on this one and just try it. If anyone else has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Imagine my surprise to see my old post:-) Ah, precious memories...

If you would like to try Kinky Curly Custard, I highly recommend getting it from Target. It's 16.99 and if you don't like it, you are able to return it with the receipt. I tried it when I first BC and again in September and I thought it was okay. I didn't like that fact it took forever to dry and it was sometimes sticky when it dried. Target also has a nice selection of other natural hair products next to Kinky Curly.

This year has been full of trials and errors and what I've learned is that there isn't any product that will make my hair curly or fight the frizz. What does help it wave and coil/curl, are water based products and finger combing (see my sig for products I use). You're still fairly new so unfortunately, you're in for some trial and errors as well. It takes time and some product junkie habits to find out what ingredients and products will work for you, but once you do, it's like Christmas every morning:-) My hair is still frizzy and coily/curly, but it's soft, moisturized and although it doesn't shine, it's has a definite sheen:toothy8: The key is moisture, moisture, moisture!
  • kitka82kitka82 Posts: 35Registered Users
    I have thick 4a/b hair, and I find that unrefined shea butter does a good job of defining my hair. I whip it with jojoba and coconut oil (YT has some great recipes for whipped shea butter). I got a pound of sb at my local beauty supply for $6.00. It's not fragrant, so you might want to add essential oils like orange or rosemary for fragrance (NOT fragrance oils).

I use it to seal in a water-based leave in conditioner. I also use it for twists and twist-outs. Works like a charm, but too much will leave your hair greasy and brittle.

IF your hair likes shea, that is...
  • bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Posts: 423Registered Users
    try defining with hair conditioner since it's winter that works for me!
    Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
    Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
    Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
    Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com" class="Popup

Much appreciated!

If you would like to try Kinky Curly Custard, I highly recommend getting it from Target. It's 16.99 and if you don't like it, you are able to return it with the receipt. I tried it when I first BC and again in September and I thought it was okay. I didn't like that fact it took forever to dry and it was sometimes sticky when it dried. Target also has a nice selection of other natural hair products next to Kinky Curly.

This year has been full of trials and errors and what I've learned is that there isn't any product that will make my hair curly or fight the frizz. What does help it wave and coil/curl, are water based products and finger combing (see my sig for products I use). You're still fairly new so unfortunately, you're in for some trial and errors as well. It takes time and some product junkie habits to find out what ingredients and products will work for you, but once you do, it's like Christmas every morning:-) My hair is still frizzy and coily/curly, but it's soft, moisturized and although it doesn't shine, it's has a definite sheen:toothy8: The key is moisture, moisture, moisture!

A miracle happened yesterday. Thanks for replying to my post. I can definitely testify to being a product junkie.

However, I went on a wild goose chase last night for Kinky Curly and could not find it anywhere, all of the Targets were out of stock. So I began to look for other alternatives. I went to one of my local beauty supply stores, and of course they didn't have it, which was surprising to me, because they have everything. I've never went there and couldn't find what I needed, and neither did they have the green Ecostyler gel. But the Lord led me to a gel called, Via Naturals Moisturizing Gel with Kiwi, Olive and Green Tea extracts.

I put it in my hair last night, after my cowash with V05 Green Tea Therapy Smoothing Conditioner, I think. It gave me the curl definition I was looking for, without drying out my hair or making it hard or flaky. It was awesome. It did take a while to dry though. But even after sleeping on it the next morning, it looked great. I just refreshed it a little with some water and a little more gel, but it's awesome. No frizz, no dull/dry look, and my curls bounce back when I pull them.

Sorry about the long response, I'm just so excited about it. Oh yea, and the best part, it only costs $2.99.
    Description: some wavy s patterns, tight coils, some z patterns, and mostly frizz around the sides.
    BC on Nov 27, 2010 (still had some relaxed ends) Officially all natural on Dec 4, 2010.
    Products: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo, V05 Tea Therapy Nourishing Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave In, Wonder 8 Oil, :blob7:Via Natural Moisturizing Gel(love, love, love this stuff):blob7:
  • chriszychriszy Posts: 2Registered Users
    Honestly I think its a waste of money buying all of these overall priced items to define your curls. you can wash your hair, air dry, then dampen you hair a bit with water, then apply a dime size of your favorite conditioner and then apply the eco styler =)
  • chriszychriszy Posts: 2Registered Users
    WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT GEL?

A miracle happened yesterday. Thanks for replying to my post. I can definitely testify to being a product junkie.

However, I went on a wild goose chase last night for Kinky Curly and could not find it anywhere, all of the Targets were out of stock. So I began to look for other alternatives. I went to one of my local beauty supply stores, and of course they didn't have it, which was surprising to me, because they have everything. I've never went there and couldn't find what I needed, and neither did they have the green Ecostyler gel. But the Lord led me to a gel called, Via Naturals Moisturizing Gel with Kiwi, Olive and Green Tea extracts.

I put it in my hair last night, after my cowash with V05 Green Tea Therapy Smoothing Conditioner, I think. It gave me the curl definition I was looking for, without drying out my hair or making it hard or flaky. It was awesome. It did take a while to dry though. But even after sleeping on it the next morning, it looked great. I just refreshed it a little with some water and a little more gel, but it's awesome. No frizz, no dull/dry look, and my curls bounce back when I pull them.

Sorry about the long response, I'm just so excited about it. Oh yea, and the best part, it only costs $2.99.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    I don't have 4b hair (I dont think, LOL), but what is totally fool proof for me is using a shea butter (or another butter) based balm on my hair. I don't do it very often because my hair is so long and only works for me when I'm doing a puff. Since your're at TWA status, it may be great for you.

Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel is great for curls too!
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
    I found it at one of my local beauty supply stores, called, "Beauty Supply 'R Us." You can find the 32oz jar online though for 4.99, I have the 16oz jar I believe. Just google, "Via Natural Moisturizing Gel," and it should come up. Or try your local beauty supply stores. Good luck!!!
  • NaturalReviewNaturalReview Posts: 91Registered Users
    Try Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream. It's available at Beauty Supply Stores. It was $7.99 when I bought mine.

www.naturalreviewbyl.com
  • rondia7rondia7 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I think some of you are missing the point of her question. I have the same issue with trial/error on finding the right technique to define the curls after poo/condish. I have wiry/coarse hair using the LOIS system and my hair is low porosity; which means it does not absorb moisture very well. After my hair is clean YES the curls are there, spiral, bounce back, etc. YES I use a Tshirt to PAT dry my hair and YES my hair is about 2-4" long all over. This is just frustrating and I have learned alot since my BC 25 June 12. HOWEVER, my hair does not respond that way. I need to learn a technique to keep the curls defined after moisturizing; whether styling in the shower, rinsing condish upside down, putting the moisturzer, styler on in the shower, etc. There HAS to be a way to keep the curls in the hair undisturbed after all the products are applied whether using gel or not...rubbing my products in my hair - which I have to do since I have low porosity hair, this disturbs my curl pattern...I feel the original poster TRICH25 & tabbysue...I have seen YT rinse all the conditioner out in the shower upside down, facing shower, etc...and not using any other products...my hair needs that moisture to stay in there...PLEASE HELP!!! I'm only 2 months in going on 3 months newly natural. I have also read the science of black hair and this book has very good information about our hair.
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    rondia7 wrote: »
    I think some of you are missing the point of her question. I have the same issue with trial/error on finding the right technique to define the curls after poo/condish. I have wiry/coarse hair using the LOIS system and my hair is low porosity; which means it does not absorb moisture very well. After my hair is clean YES the curls are there, spiral, bounce back, etc. YES I use a Tshirt to PAT dry my hair and YES my hair is about 2-4" long all over. This is just frustrating and I have learned alot since my BC 25 June 12. HOWEVER, my hair does not respond that way. I need to learn a technique to keep the curls defined after moisturizing; whether styling in the shower, rinsing condish upside down, putting the moisturzer, styler on in the shower, etc. There HAS to be a way to keep the curls in the hair undisturbed after all the products are applied whether using gel or not...rubbing my products in my hair - which I have to do since I have low porosity hair, this disturbs my curl pattern...I feel the original poster TRICH25 & tabbysue...I have seen YT rinse all the conditioner out in the shower upside down, facing shower, etc...and not using any other products...my hair needs that moisture to stay in there...PLEASE HELP!!! I'm only 2 months in going on 3 months newly natural. I have also read the science of black hair and this book has very good information about our hair.
    You may be using too many products, or have expectations of you hair that aren't possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
  • lalapixielalapixie Posts: 242Registered Users
    I just did another big chop after growing out heat damage. I have been going really simple and that is what always works for me. I just use conditioner to style. Right now it is Suave Naturals Coconut. I tried the Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner but I like it better for a deep conditioner/rinse-out. It is too heavy and dries hard. Gel works but I just feel it's not a necessity and isn't that good for my hair and builds up. I use a method similar to the Tightly Curly method. So basically every morning I wet my hair with water add more conditioner and twist the curls with my fingers. I think it is the combination of product with technique. My hair is light, clean to the touch, soft, shiny, and super defined. I am very happy. In the pic the hair on top is still too straight/heat damaged so I flexirod set it. The sides and back are all virgin 4a hair. If your hair is longer than mine you can still finger curl it and it will last like a week with daily touch ups. At my current length I have to basically refresh each curl but it is so quick I don't mind and it keeps me looking "new" daily.
    violently happy
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users

I also am lp and I use my version of tightly curly method. I rinse out cowash condish, blot out excess water, let my hair air dry about 10 min, then start applying my creamy leave in. I use a lot of leave in but not quite as much as Terri. I either mix the oil in my li or usually I put it on after. If it is humid I use gel or curl cream to fight frizz.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • auntcurlyauntcurly Posts: 234Registered Users
    Try La Bella Lots of Curls. It's the pink one from that line in the tall jar. BSS usually carry it. The Target in my area carries La Bella gels.

It's cheap so it won't bust your wallet. Use it after a creamy leave-in. This was the first gel that did anything for me. The hold is not the best which is why I used it with a bit of BRHG, believe it or not. (Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee). That gel will leave your hair crunchy but a little EVOO will take care of that. I'm not recommending BRHG. It's really expensive and most people don't like their hair crunchy. My hair is different from everyone in that I have 4b/c coarse, wirey, hair that tends to be hard naturally. So for me, it wasn't that much of a deal. Ironically, by 3rd day hair, my hair was softer than with oil.

I do recommend trying the La Bella as it is versatile and mixes with other things for the most part.

Also, flaxseed gel is good.

My hair is just below my earlobes at the moment. Right now I'm loving Jane Carter Solution's Wrap & Roll. It's a setting lotion, but I accidently discovered a youtuber using it as a gel for a wash 'n' go. And she had 4a/b hair. This also mixes well with a bit of gel. I use it to twist on moisturized hair with no problem.

LA Bella: Styling Gel Frizz Control Extra Hold Lots Of Curls, 22 Oz: Hair Care : Walmart.com
  • rmc2rmc2 Posts: 349Registered Users
    I have 4a hair and my hair is in the in between stages. I did big chop about 8 months ago. The bestest curl definers for me appear to be among the cheapest products. Try all and let me know
    1) on soaking wet detangled hair apply lots of V05 Moisture milk Conditioner (strawberry) and rake through hair. Squeeze excess foam/water by smoothing your hands over hair then finger comb your hair. I do mine without doing it in sections. Shake your head left and right and up and down to loosen curls that use a spray bottle with cold water or aloe Vera juice and spray hair (maybe 16 or so sprays). Shake again. Let dry and do NOT touch. Around 89 cents to $1.

2) Use Hawaiian Silky gel activator (pink). Sells for about $4 or $5 in beauty supply stores geared to blacks. Use on soaking wet hair.

3) Use Curls Curl Creme Brûlée from Target. Around $10 to $11.
    For 1) above i meant you then use a spray bottle with water

Whoo hoo post revival!

I definitely understand your pain. I went through 2 years of trial and error before I finally found a process/products that worked for me. I have actually ditched the wash and go and opted for Bantu Knots. I became so tired of having wet, gel/product coated, and weighed down hair and wanted to simply use a cream based styler that would give me soft, touchable, voluminous hair. I currently still co-wash with TJ Tea Tree Tingle and I'm loving the CD Hair Milk Pudding. I sometimes use CD Original Hair Milk as a leave-in but most of the time I do without one and just use the pudding. Right now I'm on the search for a product with the consistency of CDHMP but is glycerin-free for my high humidity days.

My suggestion is to maybe try a different process and determine what type of products you would like to use. During my early days of being natural, it never occurred to me to try something other than a WnG.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1348022872.106392.jpg
  • berri_cherriberri_cherri Posts: 91Registered Users
    I have 4A/4B hair and to define my curls using some Ampro Pro Styl Olive oil gel works for me, and I noticed any gel helps but I like the olive oil based gels with NO alcohol. I have used Curls Goddess Curls (gel with hold) and it definitely helps with defining curls. I usually use my Denman brush to distribute all products. I also will spritz with water after applying gel.
    Hair type:
    4A/4B(coarse, very thick, dry, and curly)
    Big chop 3/27/12
    Hair styling products: Shea Moisture(yellow line shampoo n restorative conditioner)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftastyberri.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

Density: High
    porosity: :D Definitely LOW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jneen1105jneen1105 Posts: 19Registered Users
    Try Jane Carter Wrap and Roll. I used this exclusively for curl definition after my big chop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using CurlTalk App
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    castor oil on soaking wet hair that already has my leave in in it or kccc on top of my leave in and coconut oil.
    my blog
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlygirlie85.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsophiams85.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smallfrosmallfro Posts: 10Registered Users
    I thought my wash and go would always look a mess. So with my type 4 hair. I have to apply in very small sections like 16-20.
    1. Spray with water
    2. Leave-in -the most moisturiizng one you have
    3. Gel of choice.
    4. Shake head like a dog.
    Do not touch until dry.
    First day is crunchy.
    Day 2-3 look the best and are soft.
    Day 4 usually looks like undefined fro
    KCKT + KCCC = very defined and shiny. Very shrunken. Last the longest 5 days or more
    KCKT + Ecogel olive - very defined and shiny. More elongated. 3 days
    Curl Junkie Smoothing lotion + Ecostyler - elongated and shiny 3 days.

I have other combinations to try.
    But I think the process is more important than the products.
    Best way to define my 4a a bit longer than TWA (maybe medium Afro) is to do it on soaking wet hair while in shower and using a shower walks mirror. Best curl definers for me are:
    1) 1 tbsp Shea Moisture Curling Souffle mixed with 3 tbsp aloe Vera gel. First apply leavein on soaking wet hair (ie KCKT or Shea Moisture Milk) then rake the souffle mixture. I use all of it then shake hair a few times.
    2) Hawaiian Silky Curl Activator. No leave in is needed. No oil either.

These 2 define my curls like Kinky Curly Custard but with a soft hold and with more $ left in your pockets!