Prayer Request - Colin

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Sorry I haven't been posting lately after Colin's birth... his birth story is looooooonnng to say the least and right now I am asking for a bit of curly prayer and good vibes..

Colin is dealing with jaundice and quite a nasty case of it... he has already been admitted for 24 hours once at the hospital to go under the bili-lights which did end up bringing his bili number to a 13.. now its up again to 14 and I have been shuttling him back and forth to the doc's and to the hospital for bili tests on his poor feet (they look like pin cushions)

I have been trying to keep up with what the doctor is telling me to do which is nurse/pump(bottle) 2-2 1/2 hours around the clock my hubby has been wonderful he just went back to work yesterday and is just going to bed now by helping me take a few feedings of pumped breastmilk so I could sleep.. which I have not been doing much of.....

the jaundice is making him so sleepy we practically have to strip the boy down all the time just to wake him to feed...

We are now going on one week since he was born and I really want him to get better Liam had jaundice too but not this badly...

also having "baby blues has been a real pain in the A$$..

so any prayers, thoughts, good wishes would be lovely

Luv, D
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    Sending some your way. Sorry you and you're little one are having such a hard time. ((hugs))
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Absolutely! Will definitely keep you and sweet little Colin in my thoughts. Keep doing what you're doing and know that this too shall pass.

Also, did you end up getting a mei tai or Moby Wrap? If so, try wearing him skin-to-skin as much as possible because "kangaroo care" is supposed to help with jaundice. Just strip him down to his diaper and yourself down to a bra, then put him in the carrier and wear a hoody open over the carrier to keep your arms warm.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Absolutely...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hope all improve soon, Deedles.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Lots of hugs and vibes coming your way.

Try to get him as much sunlight exposure as possible at home. See if you can get the house warm, strip him down to a diaper and put him in front of a sunny window every day.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I'm sorry Deedles... that is one thing that is really sucky about a January baby- it's really hard to do the sun exposure thing, especially if your windows are drafty. Maya (born 1/25) had a pretty bad case of jaundice. I can't remember what the numbers were, however, I do remember having to shuttle her back and forth to the dr in subzero temperatures, arguing with the ped because he wanted me to bring her back an hour after I had brought her home, and finally telling them that if they thought her levels were high enough to stick her repeatedly that they should just admit her for light therapy (I actually changed pediatricians over this,not because of the care they gave her but because of how awful they were to me). If I remember correctly, it was 10 days before she lost the yellow skin tone. When I look back at pictures, she was really quite yellow. It was definitely a little scary.

It sounds like you're having success with breastfeeding though which is good news. I'll keep Colin in my thoughts and I hope everything clears up soon.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wishing Colin, you and your family the very best, deedles.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'll be praying for you guys. Take it easy, mama!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    thanks everyone

that's the biggest issue right now is getting him to wake up.... for example i just woke him up from a little snooze :sleepy2: at 1pm and it took me till now to get him to eat

i really hate this!!!
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    good luck
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Aw, I hope he gets better soon. Good luck!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh Deedles, my thoughts are with you and your family during this time. Take care and lots of love.
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    My prayers are definitely with you!
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I will definitely keep you in my prayers. My son had pretty bad jaundice too and I remember spending the first week shuttling him back and forth to the hospital for testing. It was so hard because I was exhausted and in pain and just wanted to be home with my baby. Didn't help the baby blues either.
    His levels eventually tapered off but he had a yellow tinge to his skin for quite a while after.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hope he is improving already.

We had problems keeping both of my boys awake to eat. I know it is mean but we would strip Alexander and stroke his feet. I also changed diapers before feeding for a long while.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nate was badly jaundiced too. It took a week for him to level out. It is so hard. You are doing all the right things. Go easy on yourself. (((Hugs)))
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Definite good thoughts for him and you.
    Have the doctors considered letting you take a biliblanket home? I've heard of good results using the blanket rather than admitting the baby.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Connor had jaundice too. He was born on Dec. 31, so we couldn't do too much in the way of sunlight either. The pediatrician had us use a bili blanket at home, and it helped do the trick.

We stripped him down to a diaper if he was sleepy for breastfeeding. I also ran a cool washcloth over his body if he was really sleepy to wake him up. You want them to feed frequently and take in enough milk, because pooping helps them eliminate the bilirubin from their body.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts and vibes!
    ehLB.jpg
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Sending good thoughts your way.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My kids all had a little jaundice. I think just about every baby has a touch of it. Early babies (even as little as a week early) seem to have it worse. Paying close attention to feeding them around the clock is the most important thing you can do. It's a lot of work, but you need to keep him awake for feedings and not let him sleep too long. Feeding is what will flush that bilirubin out of his system. Once the bili numbers start going down, it's very rare that they go up again. Many breastfed babies will have a secondary breastfeeding jaundice that hangs around for 2-3 weeks and is not dangerous (although it makes for some colorfully-yellow early photos).

I hope Colin is doing better and staying awake to eat more. Has your doctor suggested formula feeding rather than breastfeeding? That's never appropriate. Breastfeeding really is best for jaundice.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Sending good vibes your way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    {{{hugs}}} Deedles....

Sounds like you're doing the right things... wake that baby (a nakey baby) for feeds, indirect sunlight, nurse nurse nurse nurse.

Jaundice is extremely common, especially in bf infants. A was quite yellow for a good few weeks. Here's a good chart that many healthcare providers are guilty of not considering when looking at jaundice. Look at the risk level of 14 after the first 84 hours of life.

I know you really wanted to bf him.... so please try to not let them scare you into giving formula. Just keep him near those breasts -- and keep a mental note of poops and pees (but don't drive yourself crazy counting them -- it will only cause stress and worry if it's 8 one day and 6 the next). Just know that he's peeing and pooping it up.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I can't believe I missed this before!

You and little Colin are in my thoughts!

:angel10:
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    You and Colin are in my thoughts, Deedles. I hope he gets better soon!

The baby blues are no fun--hang in there.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    So sorry i missed your birth announcement. Congrats on your new bundle! definitely sending good thoughts.
    hello.world.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Congratulations on the birth of your new little babe Deedles! I pray that he's on the mend already.

Like others have said, jaundice is not nearly as much of a big deal as the doctors will make it out. Also that nursing is a great way to have him flush it out of his system. Hope you're enjoying your babymoon.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Deedles, I'm not on the parenting board much anymore but I didn't even know you had another baby! congrats!!! Both of my kids were jaundiced; DD I brought home normally and after a few days of holding her in the sun I had to get a light blanket. DS was in NICU for 5 weeks and he also had the light treatments but both were fine afterwards. Sending happy new baby and healing thoughts to both of you!!!
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Deedles, I hope he is doing better.

Callie was super super jaundice (steven was also--we could tell by his color but they did not do the traditional test since he was going in to surgery). The nurse I had for Callie told me she was going to be brian damaged if I did not feed her formula and give her up for the night to go under the lights (she was not supposed to leave my room). We did let her spend the night under the lights, but I insisted that she was brought to me every 3 hours to feed...then I would offer formula to her after I had fed her for 20 mins. I only half offered her the formula and she only ended up drinking 1-2oz's, and the jaundice was clear the next morning (she was under the lights for about 8 hours max).
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I hope baby Colin is doing much better. {{{Hugs}}}.
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    Praying for you - stay strong:flower:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file