BEST PONY? With or W/O Leave-in

FuzzbusterFuzzbuster Posts: 100Registered Users
Also, Gel or Pomades? (Please share your brands of choice)....Thanks Ladies.....

Up to two-inches now so, I'm really working at these ponies for the winter. :)

Comments

• ConcernedCoilsConcernedCoils Posts: 106Registered Users
    Hmmm. I think with a leave-in, but the kind of leave-in you use will vary depending on your ponytail (natural or flatironed).

Fantasia Blue is pretty good, but if you need a little more hold, then maybe fantasia ICE or Let's Jam, but to prevent crunchies, a little lite hair milk underneath the gel is great.

HTH!
    products:
    co-washing with any Aubrey Organics product
    Olive Oil +/under leave-in for super soft hair!
    Whipped Karite/Shea or Avocado butter leave-in
    Also lots of water, pilates and meditation
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    I slick mine back while wet. I use Fantasia IC and a wet boars hair brush. Then tie it down with a scarf until it dries and voila! a slick down pony with no heat.
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    I do the same as soon. If it's dry I spritz it with a water and condish mix and then use a wet boar hair brush and add some gel. BAM! done.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    soon2b wrote:
    I slick mine back while wet. I use Fantasia IC and a wet boars hair brush. Then tie it down with a scarf until it dries and voila! a slick down pony with no heat.

I do it while wet, too, but I am trying not to use regular gel. I'm currently using activator which is quite moisturizing. I would second using it over a leave in, because it can get kind of sticky otherwise.
  • FuzzbusterFuzzbuster Posts: 100Registered Users
    jeamaria wrote:
    soon2b wrote:

I do it while wet, too, but I am trying not to use regular gel. I'm currently using activator which is quite moisturizing. I would second using it over a leave in, because it can get kind of sticky otherwise.

Thanks Ladies....

Jeamaria, the activator sounds ideal. Would you mind sharing the brand that you use? Does it dry soft/sheen? I would like to try the activator and see if my hair will lay down with it. I've been trying the different gels because my hair is only 2-inches.....Do you also tie your hair down w/scarf? Lastly, do you use the activator on top of a leave-in, or by itself? Sorry for all the probing.... :)
    oops Jeamarie.......I had missed the part about the leave-in (you already answered that one..
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Fuzzbuster, I am currently using Garnier Fructus Sleek & Shine as a leave in, with the activator over the top. I plan on replacing this leave in with a richer one for the winter.

I was using Pearl Collection activator, but have not been able to find it again, so I am currently experimenting with other activators. Right now it's World of Curls. It has a lighter consistency (and a greasier feel) than the Pearl, and I have found it to be less suited for ponytails, though still effective.

I think the ideal activator to be used for slicking back ponytails would have a thicker texture and a stronger hold. I was highly recommended Smooth n' Shine curl activator gel by several posters as it's said to combine moisture w/great hold but I haven't yet been able to find it.

My method:

Apply the leave in throughout hair, and kind of pull it through, then "scrunch-rake" the activator through the hair in 6 sections.

Next, brush the hair back with a boar bristle brush, and make a ponytail by wrapping a headband twice around your head and pushing it up till the desired ponytail size/position.

Finally, smooth the edges back with a little more activator.

It dries crunch free and more sheeny than shiny. It's not as slick as with most gels and certainly not my beloved Aveda Control paste.

I'd describe it as more smoothed back than slicked back (my hair never keeps the wet gloss of superslick anyway).

I don't always use a headtie because whilst it does help to smooth it back, if I tie it incorrectly, I sometimes get an imprint of the scarf in one of the thicker sections of my hair.
    Wow...thanks Jeamaria for sharing that.

I tried "Scurl activator/moisturizer w/no success. Thus far, my two favs have been "Smooth 'n Shine Gel" and "Define 'n Shine Gel". However, the S-n-Shine gave me the most hold but no gloss or shine/shine. The D-n-Shine gave a very nice, high glossy look but not as much hold. I'm going to try mixing the two.

Someone had a concoction of butters (Shea, Coconut, Mango) &, or Aloe Vera Gelly, Aloe Vera Juice for their ponies. I think thats what she used. So I'll probably give that a whirl :lol: too. With my hair being short I probably can't escape gels......I just don't like it fuzzing-up once completely dry which is what sometimes happens.

I'll have to try your headband method.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file