CoWash Only Forever

GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
How many of you cowash only; not even do a loo-poo? Even after cowashing, do you need to use a leave-in afterward, especially if you have porous hair? If you cowash only and never low-poo, please share your favorite conditoner(s), how you combat buildup, and itchy scalp. Please also state if you have porous hair or not.

I'm thinking about cowashing only. Deep conditioning takes time and buying the right products can become expensive. My "Dream Routine" is cowash only, then use one styling product.

If there are curlies out there who only cowash, I would like to read about your success.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
 *This list is not exhaustive...
CoWash: various
DT: various
Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
Spritz/Sealant:not now
*experimenting and loving it!

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I have porous hair. I cowash exclusively. I do still need a leave-in. I've only been CG since the beginning of October, so I haven't had a build up problem. I try to prevent build up by avoiding cones, polyquats, mineral oil, and castor oil. The last three build up for some people, but not everyone. I avoid them just in case. I haven't tried many conditioners, but my fave so far is GVP CB.
    I never deep condition. Here is why.
    http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/03/monday-myths-can-you-really-deep.html
    and
    http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/08/03/how-long-do-you-have-to-leave-conditioners-in-your-hair/
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    pedaheh:

What is "GVP CB?"
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Generic Value Product Conditioning Balm. It's a Sally Beauty Supply version of Matrix Biolage conditioner.
    Here is a link with the secret decoder ring. :glasses7:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=74759
    It has definitions for most of the acronyms people use.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Registered Users Posts: 896
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    How many of you cowash only; not even do a loo-poo? Even after cowashing, do you need to use a leave-in afterward, especially if you have porous hair? If you cowash only and never low-poo, please share your favorite conditoner(s), how you combat buildup, and itchy scalp. Please also state if you have porous hair or not.

I'm thinking about cowashing only. Deep conditioning takes time and buying the right products can become expensive. My "Dream Routine" is cowash only, then use one styling product.

If there are curlies out there who only cowash, I would like to read about your success.

Yes, I use three different types of conditioners when I wash my hair:

-Co-wash
    -Thicker conditioner, I guess you could call it "main conditioner)
    -Leave-in

I think most curlies need a thicker conditioner and leave-in in addition to a co-wash.

I, too, use GVP CB and love it!
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    I co-washed only for over 2 years. I used Kenra Moisturizing conditioner.

If my hair didn't feel *right*, I'd mix my condish with lemon juice before co-washing. I used leave-in sometimes. Usually GDLI.

I still co-wash mostly (use a soap bar about once a month if I feel need it). I use CJ Curl Theory as my co-wash and CJ Curl Fix as my leave-in. The Kenra was more cleansing than the CJCT so I sometimes develop excess sebum on my scalp, hence the soap bar. I have high hopes for the CJ Cleansing Condish that I ordered. :)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    I mostly waterwash (2x a week) and cowash (2-3 times a month). I've tried a soap bar a few times, too. I've been doing this for almost 3 years, and it works great for my medium porous hair.

When I cowash (use conditioner on my scalp) I usually use Suave Green Apple, mostly because I have two ginormous bottles of the stuff. After scrubbing my scalp, I rinse, then use a thicker conditioner to detangle and moisturize. I have a few that I rotate, and today I just used the Suave. After combing that out under cold water, I use GDLI before using styling products.

Since I avoid 'cones, buildup is minimal , but for slight buildup, an ACV rinse is great. I do that maybe 2x a month.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file