Does gray hair = looser curls

mesocurlymesocurly Posts: 58Registered Users
Just wondering because the gray around my hairline now hangs down unlike the rest of my 4a/b hair. When stretched, this hair is almost to my collar bone, so I'm wondering does it hang because of the length or because its gray.

Comments

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    :glasses7: I need to get my eyes checked. I read the title as "Does gray hair = loser curls" and I got all hopped up about that. Just because I had a terrible horrible rotten no-good stinkbomb hair day today. And I have a lot of gray.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,726Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Losers! All of ya! : )

Many of my greys do seem looser, but not all. I have lots of different textures on my head, grey and non-grey.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    My grays are coarser than my browns. Other than that they're about the same level of curliness.

My aunt is completely white and has been since I was a child. Her hair is 3B/3C and she says it became curlier after she went gray.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    nevermind
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My grays seem to curl the same as my other hair. I've got so many different textures and they all curl differently. I think it has more to do with texture than color.
  • mesocurlymesocurly Posts: 58Registered Users
    Thanks guys. Another hair mystery to figure out!:toothy8:

Loser curls - :laughing8::laughing8::laughing8: so funny. I do that a lot reading these boards. Glad its not just me. I had to check the thread title, horrified that I might have made a typo, whew!
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    curls2grow wrote: »
    :glasses7: I need to get my eyes checked. I read the title as "Does gray hair = loser curls" and I got all hopped up about that. gray.

Same here. I was ready to come in here with guns a' blazin'. :protest:

My grey hairs are all different. Most are as curly or even curlier than my other hair. Some greys have more of a gentle curl. But, I have never heard of curly hair turning straight when it goes grey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mom2e3mom2e3 Posts: 73Registered Users
    I'm starting to grey and it's a little unsettling. The greys that are coming in are eihter totally kinky (almost a "z" pattern) or stick straight. No kidding. More kinky than straight, though. I'm *just* now figuring out what to do for my pigmented hair, wavy hair, so I'm a little scared to learn about this "new" hair.:sad2:
    Mostly sure I'm a 2b/Mii
    Just starting out (and brining the entire family along for the ride):
    CO-wash...V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie
    Rinse-out Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Fortifying Cream Conditioner Moisture Works for Dry or Damaged Hair
    Leave-in Conditioner...Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream Sleek and Shine
    Gel...Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
    Wish me luck!
  • SelinaSelina Posts: 10Registered Users
    My hair is definitely much curlier as I get grayer. Now its as curly as when I was a little girl.
  • hmixonhmixon Posts: 214Registered Users
    some of my grey is looser- but all of it is definitely floofier and frizzier
    med/coarse; porous; 2c & 3c
    protein sensitive
    too much glycerin and some oils give me stringlets

!!! LOVE SPRITZ AND CONDISH !!!!

co-wash: Fructis Body Boost condish
    low-poo: miss my LLL Green Tea, CJDF
    condish/leave-in: DMLI, Elucense MB, KCKT, JCWDT, CJCR, KBB Deep Condish, Marie Dean, Shescensit GTH
    style: faves: KCCC, DMCG, AOMMJ, CGG, Elucence Foam, FSG
    DT: JCWDT, CJCR, SS Deep Condish

My CG Journey: :confused: :banghead:
    :read2: :love1:
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    my white hair seems to be more extreme in the same direction -- the parts that were more curly are even curlier, now curling at the root and a tighter curl, the very front and the bottom back that were wavy, loose curls seem to be wavy/straight. i guess until it is at the length it was when i cut off the color (to top of collarbone when stretched) i won't know for sure. it does seem to be in general getting curlier.
    however, it all seems to work well and i love the color and am sooooo happy i stopped coloring my hair!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't figure out if it is my white hair or my henna/indigo but I miss my tighter curls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • meadowlark2meadowlark2 Posts: 135Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't noticed if any of my grays are looser since I have a few textures and curl patterns. I would say, the the pigmented hair that is fine is definitely more curly. The medium hair doesn't seem that different. The coarse hair is coarser. The coarser hair tends to be wavy and I plucked a few today that had some mighty strange bends.
    cg Dec 08
    fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

• KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    My gray seems to be coming in very, V-E-R-Y gradually. I got my first gray hair in my late twenties, and now, almost 20 years later, I still only have about 3 or 4! Unlike the rest of the 3C-4A curlinkies on my head, these few hairs are almost type 2 wavy and much coarser. So they stick out all kooky! :tongue3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • aubinaubin Posts: 286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My gray hairs are bone straight. For that reason, I've been coloring for the last few years (with chemical dyes before I went CG, and now with henna). Now I'm ready to show my grey but am a little concerned about the presence of yet another hair texture on this head. But I guess there are far worse problems to have. :sad8:
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
  • NatkatNatkat Posts: 10Registered Users
    Mine does. Since I've gone gray my hair is more out of control. It used to be I could spritz it with a curl enhancer and it would lay in nice curls. Now it just gets fuzzy with unruly wiry hairs poking out here and there and not a curl to be found. At the same time it's harder to straighten and always frizzes up into a nicely coifed helmet.

I wish I knew what to do. It's so aggravating.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i think gray hair needs LOTS of moisture. mine was a problem til i started using spiral solutions deeply decadent moisturizing treatment as a dt and a leave in. i leave a good amount in under stylers (currently been using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Smoothing-Gellie-p-937.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Smoothing-Gellie]cj smoothing gellie[/buylink] with great results). my hair has been very soft and curly.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    My hair is almost all grey/white and I think my hair is curlier, but I agree with rbb that it needs more moisture than it used to. If I use regular DT and heavier leave-ins, my hair behaves better and my curl pattern is more regular.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My grays are wiry and less curly, more wonky. :D I apply a tad extra moisture to it when styling.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    MirCurls wrote: »
    My grays are wiry and less curly, more wonky. :D I apply a tad extra moisture to it when styling.

Yes, mine do the same thing. I have one grey hair right now sticking straight up like the Eiffel Tower.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Posts: 105Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »

Yes, mine do the same thing. I have one grey hair right now sticking straight up like the Eiffel Tower.

Add me to that list. Mine liked to stick straight up and glow. Thankfully, hair dye killed their ability to do that. The dye did not effect my curls at all... just made the greys lay down... guess it filled in the pigmentless hollow strand and added some weight. Weird how they are different.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Now that my grays are longer, they don't stand straight up anymore. Thank goodness! And they seem as curly as the rest of my hair....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    My hair is almost all white and I cut it off into a short pixie. I didn't find that I had problems with odd wiry hair. In fact, I think as my hair got healthier with CG methods and no more coloring, my hair is behaving quite well.
    I am only 43 but my hair is 99% white. I do moisturize it alot, as it seems to need more than it used to.
    But my hair is also not supercurly -- my hair is 3A when it is healthy. What looked like wiry, weird hair when I was coloring my hair might have been healthier hair that was noticeably a different texture. Now that I am all white, my hair seems fine.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • BigHairLalaBigHairLala Posts: 116Registered Users
    My grays are coarser and curlier. Wild hairs, really. Not all, but some.
    [FONT=&quot]Mod CG since January 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2b/c – in winter; mostly 3a in summer; working toward 3a all year-round
    Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cowash & Leave in: Co-wash with TJ’s Tea-Tree Tingle cond. , Suave Naturals, TJ Nourish[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Styling products in rotation: AG Re:coil, K-Y liquid; FSG, epsom salt & lavender curl-revitalizer;
    [/FONT]
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    I was just thinking about this , Im noticing all of my gray hairs are straight as can be. Its becoming very apparent as they are standing out from the curly hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file