CurlTalk

Ponytail Haircut Method

MaudieMaudie Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Does anyone still cut their hair this way? I saw a tutorial online, but it was for pretty short hair. Mine is a little longer than mid back. I want to keep the length pretty much, but my ends are getting sort of ratty and I could use a few layers.

I tried it this morning, but was apprehensive about whacking too much hair off. Any tips for long hair? Thanks.
Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15

Comments

• curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    I am growing my hair long right now, but I used to use that method all the time. It works. But if you'd like more info, there's a book called "Cutting Hair For Dummies". There's a chapter called "Compact Cutting". It shows the proper way to do this, and shows the different angles you can hold the hair, to get different results, and a photo of what each method looks like when done.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    I use the ponytail method all the time. It doesn't give you precise layers, but it's good enough for me -- I then put it down and trim individual curls to make them lie properly.

I'll have to look for that book.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
  • lapushkalapushka Posts: 601Registered Users
  • AmericanWomanAmericanWoman Posts: 46Registered Users
    google "Fayes Hair Trimming" I've been using it 5 years and it's pretty foolproof. She gives directions for a V,U or straight hemlie. Sorry, not good at posting links, but /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fladylonghair.googlepages.com" class="Popup"has a link to it..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MaudieMaudie Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much! I tried this two days in a row, but I was conservative on cutting. My hair looks better, though and the ends aren't so scraggly.
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
    Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
    Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
    Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
    Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I was in dire need of a "real cut" I did the upside down thing similar to what laupushka posted but cut WAY less. It helped to get me by until I could see my stylist, but by the 3rd week it was looking very Triangle like. If you have very thick hair and need lots of layering, your results are going to look choppy and your ends won't blend in nicely. Some things are better left to a Pro for sure.......
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    Some of the compact cuts are for layering. There's one where, instead of putting your hair in a ponytail, you part your hair down the middle of the back, as if you're gonna make pigtails. Lean over, so your torso and face are parallel to the floor. Comb both sides from the part toward the floor. The hair must be damp, to get it totally straight. Combine the two sections and cut horizontally. (parallel to the floor) I got awesome layers with this method, and amazing volume. The directions in the book would be way better than mine, though.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night