Starting CG - is this right?

BeavBeav Registered Users Posts: 14
To begin CG, I should wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo to cleanse it, correct? (Is baby shampoo like Johnsons & Johnsons No Tears okay for this?) Should I avoid any conditioner during this first wash?
Shannon (27) * 3A Botticelli * CG since 10/4/06 * Suave Vanilla/Sugar CO, AnGell, Aussie Tizz No Frizz

Comments

• LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    Many find that this helps a lot, especially if you've been using products with lots of cones and waxes. Make sure you DO condition afterwards! The whole concept behind CG is that shampooing dries out your hair. Just make sure the shampoo and conditioner you use are cone free. Good luck starting CG! :D
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Baby shampoo isn't good for this. I posted incorrect information about J&J Tearless Shampoo before. It contains no sulfates, and will not remove build up from your hair.

Your clarifying shampoo should be labeled and marketed as such. A line of shampoos might have particular formulas called "strengthening" or "color-treated," but there will always be one labeled "clarifying." It's important to use this one because it will contain lots of sulfates, but otherwise be CG. It will remove build up without depositing anything.

And you should really condition after using it, because it will really dry out your hair.

Good luck! Hope CG works for you!
  • BeavBeav Registered Users Posts: 14
    Thanks!
    Shannon (27) * 3A Botticelli * CG since 10/4/06 * Suave Vanilla/Sugar CO, AnGell, Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    I read on the BB that baby shampoo is actually harsher than regular shampoo due to the higher pH level.

here's the thread

http://www.naturallycurly.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=83269&highlight=baby+shampoo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file