Please explain the whole "bend from waist" thing!!

Hello,

I have 3b curls and i'm trying to follow the CG routine, but my hair is fairly fine so I'm desperate to add some lift to my roots, especially since giving up my hairdryer!! I've been trying the whole "bend from waist" thing after my shower... trouble is because i've washed my hair standing up, if i then just bend from the waist, my roots are all still flat down almost to the nape of my neck and just the length will fall forward!!! I've tried flicking my hair forward instead but that introduces LOADS of frizz... my curl patter is fairly weak as well so once washed i have to be very gentle!! Please help :cry:
fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!

Comments

• esmeraldaesmeralda Registered Users Posts: 187
    I am not sure what you mean here..
    but I will do my best:
    some here wash their hair upside down, it will help with with volume.

I clip my hair up while I wash my body & then wash my hair.

For adding some rootlift, try clipping & plopping.
    Please use the search to find explanations if you dont know what these terms mean..
    & good luck!
    2C/3A,jetblack indian curls:)
  • kimrob444kimrob444 Registered Users Posts: 6
    I soooo know what you're talking about...if I rinse standing up, my roots are plastered to my head...if I rinse upside down my roots are standing up good, but the rest of my hair just tangles into a stringy curl mess when I stand up.
    The only thing I have had luck with recently is to rinse standing up, after I finish rinsing I apply about a nickle size amt. of conditioner in my palm, gently rub palms together and then apply to SOAKING wet hair to sort of 'unstick" the hair from my head using my fingertips. If I dont apply to soaking hair it completly breaks up whatever clumps I manage to get. I have been doing this for about a week now and have pretty good luck.
  • embudiniembudini Registered Users Posts: 580
    I do my final cold rinse upside down. Then I walk to my towel with my hair upside down and plop. I don't put any products in my hair tho.
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    embudini wrote:
    I do my final cold rinse upside down. Then I walk to my towel with my hair upside down and plop. I don't put any products in my hair tho.

I do my cold rinse upside down, too, then apply product to soaking wet hair by smoothing in, then I scrunch my hair *all* the way around. This not only gives me volume at the roots, but also helps the nape of my neck and under the canopy of my hair curl as well. I plop after I've scrunched.
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • kimmyckimmyc Registered Users Posts: 551
    I wash right side up and then I condition, detangle, let the conditioner sit in there while I shave. Then I flip my head over, detangle once more which gets all of the hair off of the scalp as I'm running my fingers through it. I rinse some of the conditioner out then I put my products in and then go straight to my t-shirt for plopping.

I think detangling my hair once more while my hair is upside down probably alleviates the hair sticking to my scalp.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    When your upside down, put your fingers through your hair up by the scalp, and shake it out. This should keep your roots from getting plastered down.
  • GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Registered Users Posts: 256
    Lovely... thanks for the tips!! kimrob444... so glad its not just me! I'll have a go at your conditioner method and i'll try rinsing upside down as well... Thanks again
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • kimrob444kimrob444 Registered Users Posts: 6
    No problem Grecian...I WILL let you know that this morning I tried rinsing upside down, applied the extra conditioner through the soaking wet hair...I even raked it through..and flipped my head over. Scrunched a bit with my towel and it was the first time EVER that it looked "right". I did achieve more volume on top and the first few inches of hair was even curly. I didn't even know my hair would curl up there. I guess because they were stuck to my head they never curled up!!
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    I wash and condition while standing straight up, detangle, then flip my head over, do some more detangling, then rake in my gel, scrunch my hair for a minute, then immediately plop w/ a t-shirt laid out on the hamper top.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file