Pretzels?

Sugar Plum FairySugar Plum Fairy Registered Users Posts: 178
How do you make these? I mean the crunchy, snack food-y type. Can these be made? The only recipes I can find are for soft pretzels. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Couldn't you just shape the dough differently (make them a bit thinner/smaller) and bake them at a lower temperature to get them crunchy/dry??

I don't have a recipe to recommend, though, sorry. icon_smile.gif
  • Sugar Plum FairySugar Plum Fairy Registered Users Posts: 178
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wavy&Fine:
    Couldn't you just shape the dough differently (make them a bit thinner/smaller) and bake them at a lower temperature to get them crunchy/dry??

I don't have a recipe to recommend, though, sorry. icon_smile.gif
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually yes- that would probably be a good idea. Duh! icon_rolleyes.gif I haven't made pretzels before, and I'm not exactly an expert in the kitchen so I didn't think of that. Thank you. icon_biggrin.gif
    I was thinking about this some more last night, and I think if 'thin and crispy' is what you're after, that you might be able to roll the dough out thin, (maybe with a pasta roller, not too thin) and bake it like crackers?

Does that sound as though it might work?? I've only ever made pretzels once or twice, years ago, and I don't remember much about the quality of the dough.

I do something similar with lavosh dough, and cut it in inch wide strips with a wavy-edged pastry cutter, so the dough gets nicely bubbly as it bakes.

HTHS!! icon_smile.gif (You've flung a craving on me, that's for sure!)
    Here are a couple of recipes I had in my stash, without remembering them, not sure I know where I found them in the first place, though. Also, if you check the foodtv website, Emeril has a 'Breakfast Pretzel' that I've heard is tasty.

'Auntie Anne's' Pretzels

Notes: The longer and thinner you can make the dough rope, the more like Auntie Anne's they will be.

Ingredients:
    1 1 / 2 cup warm water
    1 1 /8 tsp active dry yeast (1 1/2 pkg)
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 1 /8 tsp salt
    1 cup bread flour
    3 cups regular flour
    2 cups warm water
    2 tbsp baking soda
    To taste, coarse salt
    2 - 4 tbsp butter (melted)

Preparation Instructions:
    Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve. Add sugar, salt and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let rise at least 1/2 hour.
    While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 tbsp baking soda. Be certain to stir often.
    After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape. Dip pretzel in soda solution and place on greased baking sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again. Bake in oven at 450 for about 10 minutes or until golden. Brush with melted butter and enjoy!

Toppings: After you brush with butter try sprinkling with coarse salt. Or for Auntie Anne's famous Cinnamon Sugar, try melting a stick of butter in a shallow bowl (big enough to fit the entire pretzel) and in
    another shallow bowl make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Dip the pretzel into the butter, coating both sides generously. Then dip again into the cinnamon mixture. Enjoy!

Soft Pretzels

2 cups hot water
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon active dry yeast (1( 1/4 ) -ounce envelope
    5 to 6 cups all--purpose flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    Vegetable oil cooking spray
    2 tablespoons baking soda
    1 large egg
    Coarse or pretzel salt

Pour 2 cups hot water into bowl of electric mixer with dough hook. Check water with instant-read thermometer to register about 110 degrees. Add sugar, stir to dissolve. Sprinkle with yeast; let sit 5 minutes; yeast should bubble. Beat 1 cup flour into yeast on low until combined. Beat in salt and 4 cups flour until combined, about 30 seconds. Beat on medium--low until doughy pulls away from sides of bowl, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup flour, and knead on low 1 minute more. If dough is still wet and sticky, add 1/2 cup more flour (this will depend on weather conditions); knead until combined, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a lightly floured board, and knead about 10 times until smooth.

Pour oil into a large bowl; swirl to coat sides. Transfer dough to bowl, turning dough to completely cover all sides. Cover with a kitchen towel, and leave in a warm spot for 1 hour, or until dough has doubled in size.

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Set aside. Punch down dough remove bubbles. Transfer to a lightly floured board. Knead once or twice, divide into 16 pieces (about 2 1/2 ounces each), and wrap in plastic.

Roll 1 piece of dough at a time into an 18 -- inch -- long strip. Twist pretzel shape; transfer to prepared baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel. Continue to form pretzels; 8 will fit on each sheet. Let dough rest until it rises slightly, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, fill large shallow pot with 2 inches water. Bring to a boil. Add baking soda. Reduce to simmer; transfer 3 to 4 pretzels to water. Poach 1 minute. Use slotted spoon to transfer pretzels to baking sheet. Continue until all pretzels are poached. Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush pretzels with egg wash. Sprinkle with salt. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on wire rack. Pretzels are best when eaten the same day, and will keep at room temperature, uncovered, for 2 days. Do not store in covered container.
  • Sugar Plum FairySugar Plum Fairy Registered Users Posts: 178
    Wavy&Fine- thank you so much for going to the trouble of finding me some recipes. icon_smile.gif I really appriciate it. I've never made pretzels before so I'm not sure about the dough quality etc either. I'll just have to try it and see what works. I'll definitely roll them out much thinner and shape them smaller to see if that works. Thank you so much once again, I'll let you know how they turn out! icon_biggrin.gif
    You're more than welcome, I love baking things!

One thing I do remember from my own long ago experiments, is that I had trouble poaching the pretzels, and had better/eaisier/neater results just dipping them in a baking soda/water solution before baking.

I'm thinking you might be able to get away with just brushing sheets of dough with the solution, to save yourself the hassle of shaping them/wrestling the dough in and out of the soda water. That way you could just make some relatively small pretzel sticks, if you wanted.

I got a copy of Rose Levy Beranbaum's new "Bread Bible" and she has a pretzel 'roll' recipe, which calls for dipping the pretzels in a solution of lye and water. The lye does something to the texture of the surface of the dough, which I guess you want in a pretzel, but I'm a bit timid of using such a caustic substance in the kitchen. (eeek!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file