Did your hair get curlier on NO POO regime

gurliegurlie Posts: 18Registered Users
Been doing no poo for a while (okay i ocassional cheat with burt bees shampoo) and just wondering if you noticed that your hair got curlier? My hair is a mixture of 4a/4b, since the no poo it's all looking 4a. Was the front that I thought was 4b, just super dry hair and hence frizzy? I am weirded by the texture change.
type: 4ab, fine strands, very dense, dry
natural: october 2000 - november 2006, october 2007 - present
last relaxer: march 2007
big chop: october 2007
length: shoulder length w/ long bangs you tuck behind the ears (when pressed)
routine: curly girl no poo routine
products: conditioner wash daily & apply olive oil on scalp, deep condition weekly and apply olive oil on scalp and shea butter on ends .... shampoo & salon treatment every 4 months
trims: every 4 months

Comments

• HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    I've never done no poo because I feel that my hair needs to be washed on a regular basis because my main styling product and conditioner have proteins in them. And I am sensitive to protein build up. However, I only wash my hair like probably, once a week with shampoo and the mix is between CON shampoo (which contains no sulfates) and a dime nickel size drop of clarifying shampoo. When I don't poo my hair becomes more straight not as curly. (My hair is pretty much curly now, not sure from what or just the fact that its growing and getting settled into its normal curl pattern).

However, I have heard some curlies report that their hair feels much more moisturized when they no poo and their curls are more full of life (I guess) when on CG and that might have something to do with it. Who knows. Run an experiment and see. But then again different things happen with different heads of hair.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 177Registered Users
    although i'm not on no-poo
    mine definitely seems to be curlier with frequent washing (5-7 days/wk) - hardly any shampoo (2-4times/2weeks) and lots heat conditioning with oil or egg yolk and oil and then washing with that oil
    cleansers when i can

maybe you call that a modified no-poo? whatever it's called my hair is definitely responding with more curl/corkscrews/ringlets
    4a/4b tiny penspring curls
    Lifelong natural i.e. never relaxed

hair growth journey
    http://public.fotki.com/boboleta/
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have definitely seen a change in my hair since beginning mod-CG in July; tighter & more defined curl though it's more coils and tight s-patterns than a curl. I shampoo (non-sulfate) maybe every 2 weeks more if I need to, condition wash rest of the time. I had a lot more frizz/poof before this routine and stamped it out with products.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • gurliegurlie Posts: 18Registered Users
    you guys are all hi-tec. I just use conditioner, and burts bee shampoo every 4 weeks. the only styling product I use is shea butter on my ends .... what is all this stuff about protien build up and what not? sulfates and what not? I never used styling products in my hair before (cept for dax as kid) should I be worried about build up? i just heard about no poo from my grandma. Can someone give me the 411 on all this lingo and stuff?
    type: 4ab, fine strands, very dense, dry
    natural: october 2000 - november 2006, october 2007 - present
    last relaxer: march 2007
    big chop: october 2007
    length: shoulder length w/ long bangs you tuck behind the ears (when pressed)
    routine: curly girl no poo routine
    products: conditioner wash daily & apply olive oil on scalp, deep condition weekly and apply olive oil on scalp and shea butter on ends .... shampoo & salon treatment every 4 months
    trims: every 4 months
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    gurlie wrote:
    you guys are all hi-tec. I just use conditioner, and burts bee shampoo every 4 weeks. the only styling product I use is shea butter on my ends .... what is all this stuff about protien build up and what not? sulfates and what not? I never used styling products in my hair before (cept for dax as kid) should I be worried about build up? i just heard about no poo from my grandma. Can someone give me the 411 on all this lingo and stuff?

Here's a link to the site FAQ which covers most of these terms. If there are any terms not in it that you are curious about just ask!

http://www.naturallycurly.com/home/faq.php

Oh and regarding the OP, my hair has definitely gotten curlier since (modified) CG. I agree that it's all that water. I want the front to curl up more; it has gotten very damaged from years of brushing into a ponytail and the strands have become kind of distorted.
  • LadyJAHLadyJAH Posts: 81Registered Users
    I tried the no-poo and my hair didn't seem to curl as well. So I went back to the shampoo and I got better results with my curls. However, I have only been completely natural for a week, my routine may change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file