GSE - Grapefruit Seed Extract

taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
I finally found GSE at a pharmacy.
Does it matter which kind is used. They only had the liquid form of it and it includes some veg. glycerin.
They had two different brands, one was probitics brand.
Does it matter which GSE is used as a preservative ?
How much should be added to preserve for instance 100 g of cream or conditioner ?
Is there any difference between the powder form and the liquid form ?

TIA

Comments

• hookilauhookilau Posts: 269Registered Users
    just wondering, what area of the pharmacy did you find GSE?
    Following CG
    fine, medium-low density :confused5:
    protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
    LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
    Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
    :happy3:
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    It's the liquid version you want to use. Different brands of GSE have different strengths. They all come in some form of base liquid (you can't buy pure strength liquid GSE in the markets). I think Nutribiotic brand is the best (its the white bottle with red text). If you use that brand you will need about 6 drops for ounce of product. This is a good natural preservative to use but it is only an antimicrobial not an antifungal. So it will prevent bacteria from growing but not mold. I've had a FSG with GSE last about 1 month out on the counter, but I was very careful to keep in in a dry cool atmosphere. I also made sure not to get any water into the product.

I hope this info helps.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    hookilau wrote: »
    just wondering, what area of the pharmacy did you find GSE?

I've seen GSE everywhere. Since it is used as a gargle/throat rinse, a disinfectants for toothbrushes, etc, it is readily available. I've also seen it in vitamin stores. The most popular brand is Nutribiotic so ask the store clerk or pharmacist if they carry it.
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    I got GSE about a year ago at my local food co-op, so you might be able to find it at a health/natural food store.

GSE is not full spectrum, your product will not be completely protected. Take other measures to ensure saftey
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    Coilynapp is correct about GSE not being full spectrum. It is not an antifungal. Whenever making homemade products, you have to take full precaution so your product doesn't make you or your family ill. Many commercial products contain potassium sorbate which is an antifungal in combination with another preservative. Postassium sorbate is wonderful because it only requires a small amount (0.02%). It is safe as it is the preservative you find in food products. If mold is a concern, consider using GSE + potassium sorbate. Unfortunately, it usally cannot be bought in stores, but may be available at restraunt supply stores.

For the home product maker, choosing the right preservative is never an easy task. You can never be 100% sure your product is safe unless tested, so keep this in mind and always smell and look at the product before you use it.
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file