Contact Dermatitis

NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
My son has eczema (and developed asthma last winter). It was always just on his legs and torso. He hasn't had a breakout for about 2 years but now it showed up around his mouth a couple of weeks ago. I took him to his pediatrician yesterday to make sure it wasn't something else, and she confirmed it's contact dermatitis.

DSC_0312b.jpg

It goes from bright pink to skin colored and back again, with no discernible pattern as of yet. It can get worse right after eating or when he hasn't eaten anything, but we think it might be fruit or citric acid related. He doesn't complain about it much, but has told me that it itches and sometimes stings.

I'm working on figuring out what he's eating that's causing it, but don't know what to put on it. I can't use his hydrocortisone cream on his face and Aquaphor isn't helping.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg

Comments

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    DS has something very uch like that around his mouth.

Knock on wood, this is the first winter it has not been bad.

His always pops up in the winter, not the summer.
    It was really bad when he would sleep with one of his suffed animals...he liked to chew on part of it before bed and that agrivated his face. He no longer puts it in his mouth, so I am not sure if what else we do helps.

Aquaphor was more preventative...I have found the new face stuff (looks like a chapstick/blistex) by Bordoux (same people who make the butt paste) works really well

We have to avoid any tomato based foods, or if he has them we wash his face right away and give him a bath as soon as possible, and put either aquaphor or the Bordoux stuff on.

We give him baths in the Aveeno oatmeal bath when it flairs up.

This is what it was like at its worst

281.jpg
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Poor baby! :(

Thanks! I'll see if I can find it around here. Is it this?
    http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/181189/300.JPG

Robert has never had this on his face until this winter. It showed up a couple of times over the past few months and always preceded his lips becoming chapped. Until now, it always went away at the same time his lips got better. He's been sucking on his fingers lately--two and three knuckles at a time--and I wonder if that's making it worse. I've been trying to get him to stop, but I think sometimes that me telling him not to do it makes him want to do it more. :laughing6:
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gosh --- I get it when I wear jewelry that isn't pure gold or silver, but never on the face. I've always been told it's an allergic reaction. Are the boys having reactions to something benign?

Poor kids!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My second son used to suffer with red/raw skin around his mouth in the winter...because he couldn't stop licking his face and then it would get chapped. He got it every winter during his young years, and it would clear up in the spring. I had varying degrees of success preventing/curing it. The return of warm weather really worked best. I had the best luck with lanolin, because it's thicker and stickier than petroleum or wax products so it would stay on and protect him longer.

He also used to get diaper rash really bad. From fruit. The kid couldn't eat ANY sort of fruit without getting a red hiney.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I wish I was still nursing. Breast milk healed all kinds of stuff!

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    that is the stuff. I bet sucking his fingers is what is causing it...I think the combo of the moisture and the dry cold air just makes it worse, like I said before, the best cure all for it was spring.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lydia's had little red bumps on her face lately that I'm trying to figure out.

Deezee, your poor little guy!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file