Toddler UTIs?

Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've read about symptoms and treatment on Dr. Sears site, but wondered about any personal experiences with this.

Lydia is not completely potty trained, but she goes in her potty most of the time. She cried after I put her on the potty first thing this morning. A couple times she would squat and then cry. She was really fussy for a while and each time she peed she would complain that her vulva hurt. There's nothing wrong that I can see, so that's what made me think UTI.

While waiting for the doctor's office to open, I've been giving her lots of water. Now she's peed a couple times with no complaints and is playing happily, so now I'm second guessing myself.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In a toddler, I would consider the possibility of a minor external irritation before thinking UTI. I would try just smearing on a little vaseline or A&D ointment, or even a little olive oil, and see if that helped. You might save yourself the cost of a doctor visit, and the ordeal of trying to get a urine sample from a toddler girl (ever tried it? not easy...).
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    In a toddler, I would consider the possibility of a minor external irritation before thinking UTI. I would try just smearing on a little vaseline or A&D ointment, or even a little olive oil, and see if that helped. You might save yourself the cost of a doctor visit, and the ordeal of trying to get a urine sample from a toddler girl (ever tried it? not easy...).
    This. My daughter had a fever with no symptoms for 4 days and after not being able to find anything else wrong with her, it was thought she might have a UTI (she's 2). To get a urine sample at her age, they had to use a catheter. It's not a pleasant thing.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I definitely didn't want to have her catheterized for such mild symptoms. The doctor gave me a couple cups and we got a urine sample at home. Still waiting on results.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file