planning on going CG..any words of advice?

After much reading on this site, I think 've finally decided to go CG...or at least try after seeing all the pictures of GORGEOUS hair on these boards. I've already stopped using sulfates for over a year now, and I want to try to give up cones too. Is that all there is to CG? I guess I'm not entirely sure of all the details. So fill me in curlies! Exactly how do I go about this journey? Any words of advice before I do? Thanks for your help and answers!
3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok

Comments

• lazykerrilazykerri Registered Users Posts: 650
    Having just read the Curly Girl book (and read a lot of stuff on this board for the past year or so) I think how you go about it is up to you. My advice is to take everything with a grain of salt. Listen, read, get info, and then use what you like and discard what you don't. That's good advice for life in general.

According to the book, the routine depends on what type of curls you have. It sounds like you have what Lorraine calls 'corkscrew' or 'boticelli curls'. Her advice seems to be to use conditioner rather than shampoo. You can rinse your hair every day if you want, even use conditioner on it every day, but she recommends tapering off to once a week with the conditioner wash. When conditioner-washing, be gentle with your hair and gently scrub your scalp with your fingers (not nails). Don't pile your hair up on top of your head.

Also, she recommends leaving some conditioner in, whether this means rinsing it only partway or not at all. She also recommends air drying (to avoid frizz or drying out your hair). If you need to dry, use a diffuser and move the hair around as little as possible.

I'm sure there are lots more things to consider, but I just thought I'd give my 2 cents :) HTH :)

Also I noticed in your sig you're using PAVES. Some curlies said that dried their hair out. How has it been working for you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    thanks so much for your input! As for Paves, I've been using all the products for about a year now. I haven't found them to be too drying, in fact, I've found my hair has improved a lot probably from cutting out the sulfates and for the price, I really can't complain about it. I'm in college and really can't afford to buy the good stuff AND pay shipping charges. Lately my hair hasn't been looking or feeling as great, so I'm trying to drop the silicones, and most of his styling products have dimethycone (sp?) in it. Can't wait to try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink]!

One question for you though, what exactly does conditioner-washing mean? Using a conditioner like you would a shampoo? haha...I feel so stupid, but I really wanna try this. :oops:

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, conditioner-washing is using conditioner as if it's shampoo.

But before I go on--If you're using cones but not using sulfates, you're probably having some build up issues. You need sulfates to remove most cones. You should use a clarifying shampoo with sulfates, whether or not you go CG. I like the Pantene one. It's not too drying.

Make sure to avoid the following ingredients: mineral oil/petrolatum, anything ending in -cone or -xane, paraffin and other waxes, lanolin, castor oil, and ones that have the syllable "sili." Also try to avoid products that have polyquats high on the list.

There are some exceptions. If the ingredient starts with PEG-(number), then that particular ingredient has been made water-soluble and is OK to use. So PEG-60 Castor Oil is fine. Dimethicone copolyol is also OK.

When starting CG, it's best to scout through the threads on this board and make a list of ingredients you'd like to try and what they're good for. I think it's best to start out with the cheapest ones until you know what you want, especially since your hair will change a lot in the first few months. I think that Freeman's Own Papaya and Lime Overboard Shine Conditioner (got all that?) is a great first COwash because it contains a mild, non-sulfate cleanser. That will help you transition without getting too greasy. Conditioners from White Rain, Suave, and VO5 (my favorite) are also very popular for washing hair.

You can find a lot more information on other threads here. Good luck!
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    Good luck on starting CG! I hope you find the right product combo that's good for you. It's also good to keep in mind that you *don't* need to use as much product on your hair as you may think. I'm using less conditioner than I used to, but still use more than Lorraine suggests because my hair can become so very, very dry. I use just enough to give my hair good slip which is somewhere between 2-3 Tbsp. I'd definetly say start at drugstore brand conditioners and gels until you decide to delve into the higher-end (or harder to find) products that many of us curlies use. This way you can give yourself time to figure out a good routine without burning a hole in your wallet.

Also remember that some do not see immediate good results when they start CG. Just a good thing to keep in mind - your hair may not look like it's responding well, but just be patient, let your hair heal, and look forward to great curls! :D HTH
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    Ok, just did my final wash w/ sulfates to get all the cones out. I used VO5 Moisture Milks shampoo + condish. I'm officially CG and I'm loving the smell of VO5 Passion Fruit Smoothie so much more than my Paves! My [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Curls Milkshake[/buylink] hasn't come yet, so instead I'm wearing it pulled back and just using a little of the VO5 condish as a leave-in/styler. Wish me luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file