Ayurvedic powders, neem oil and castor oil

taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
Castor oil, neem oil and ayurvedic powder such as maka, brahmi, amla are supposed to strengthen the roots of the hair and help in thickening hair and preventing hair loss.

Ayurvedic powders and neem oil can be bought in Indian grocery stores, and castor oil can be bought in any pharmacy.
All of them can be bought online.

In addition, using shikakai powder, aritha, or soap nuts as a hair cleanser instead of regular shampoos is said to help in preventing hair loss.

Comments

• Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
    What do you do with neem oil?....it smells so bad. I am scared to put it in anything. I love shikakai and amla and like to use the tea as washes and I make a weekly treatment using the paste and a protein conditioner to make my curls bouncier . I have been using seabuckthorn oil instead of neem but it doesn't smell all that great either .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • Guyanese.PrincessGuyanese.Princess Posts: 52Registered Users
    I've just started using Ayurvedic powders and noticed that when I have a mix of Brahmi and Shikakai powders, I have very little hair shedding.

But after awhile it all returns. I'm working on re-working an oil mixture with the two that doesn't leave my face too oily.
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    I've just started using Ayurvedic powders and noticed that when I have a mix of Brahmi and Shikakai powders, I have very little hair shedding.

But after awhile it all returns. I'm working on re-working an oil mixture with the two that doesn't leave my face too oily.

Maybe the mixture you selected isn't good for you. The ayurvedic powders should be used in certain combinations.
    Try doing some research to find out which combinations are best.
    Some powders neutralize the effect of others. Also some powders when used together are over cleansing and can be very drying to hair.

It's best to gather some information about the different uses and recomended combinations of ayurvedic powders (there is a lot on this website), and then decide what is best for you.
    Thanks, can you point me to the right section to look in? I'm having issues with the search right now.
    Thanks, can you point me to the right section to look in? I'm having issues with the search right now.

Definitely, try looking through this thread
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=80336
    It's got lots of info. There are many other threads on the website about ayurvedic powders.
    You can also try doing a google search.

Good luck :)
    Thanks, I already see quite a few Ayurveda related threads in the 4A section.
    Anyone use the Maka/Bhringraj powder? It says it cures alopecia and makes the hair dense and promotes hair growth.
    What do you do with neem oil?....it smells so bad. I am scared to put it in anything. I love shikakai and amla and like to use the tea as washes and I make a weekly treatment using the paste and a protein conditioner to make my curls bouncier . I have been using seabuckthorn oil instead of neem but it doesn't smell all that great either .

Yes, it does smell bad, but it can be used to massage the scalp, before shampooing. It's also quite effective for getting rid of pimples.

As always though, before using any oil or herb, check that you aren't allergic to it by applying some of it to a small area, maybe your hand, and waiting for a few hours to see that you don't have any allergic reaction to it.
  • La wavyLa wavy Posts: 52Registered Users
    You many want to check out Pratima Skincare, an aryuvedic salon in NYC. I've been using her skin stuff for about three months and absolutely love it. I know she has hair products as well- some designed to prevent hair loss. I've tried the rose geranium shampoo and my hair feel soft and shiny like when I was a child.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    taltal wrote: »

Yes, it does smell bad, but it can be used to massage the scalp, before shampooing. It's also quite effective for getting rid of pimples.

As always though, before using any oil or herb, check that you aren't allergic to it by applying some of it to a small area, maybe your hand, and waiting for a few hours to see that you don't have any allergic reaction to it.
    I pre-poo'd with neem oil a week ago. It stank to high heaven, but it was very effective--the itch that I had on my crown area and my problem area at the nape stopped and has not come back. Also made my hair at the roots really really really soft--so soft that I was sad it smelled so bad or I would use it and leave it in.

I am also putting a few drops of it in my scalp pomade
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ladies..

Be careful with Neem Oil. I'm not sure on the concentrations needed to achieve this, but one of the uses of Neem oil is as a contraceptive/abortive agent * they used it as well as pennyroyal back in the day*. The scalp, like your skin is a barrier between you and the elements, but it receives its nutrients from your bloodstream and whatever it receives from absorbtion is carried away by that same bloodstream.

I guess the bottom line is, this is only important if you're in anyway attempting to conceive.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Ladies..

Be careful with Neem Oil. I'm not sure on the concentrations needed to achieve this, but one of the uses of Neem oil is as a contraceptive/abortive agent * they used it as well as pennyroyal back in the day*. The scalp, like your skin is a barrier between you and the elements, but it receives its nutrients from your bloodstream and whatever it receives from absorbtion is carried away by that same bloodstream.

I guess the bottom line is, this is only important if you're in anyway attempting to conceive.
    that's only if it is INGESTED (to induce abortions) and applied INSIDE your vagina via suppositories (contraceptive).

I doubt that a scalp massage (which gets washed off--I used about a tsp of neem oil) would have any effect on those things, but of course, I wouldn't recommend using this if you are pregnant (and there are many things that you shouldn't use while preggers e.g., rosemary, chamomile etc) or trying to become preggers!

good looking out! :)

More information here:

Neem Oil Research

Taken from the above site:

• Oral administration of dry neem leaf for 24 days resulted in a reduction in the weight of the seminal vesicles and prostate of albino rats, showing an anti-androgen effect (Kasutri et al., 1997). However, it is important to note that the dosage—20-60 mg per day—was much higher than the recommended human dose. A review of the toxicity data by the Pharmacognosy department at the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands concluded, "reported toxicity of preparations and isolated compounds are low, except for the seed oil" (Van der Nat et al., 1991).

• Test tube studies of neem seed extract on the human malaria parasite showed strong inhibitory effect by way of a different mechanism of action than other anti-malaria drugs. Neem seed is active not only against the parasite stages that cause the initial clinical infection but also against the stages responsible for malaria transmission (Dhar et al., 1998).

• When applied to the skin, solutions of 1-4% neem oil in 96-99% coconut oil afforded 81-91% protection against mosquito bites for 12 hours (Mishra et al., 1995, Sharma et al., 1993).

• When applied with urea to rice crops, lipid neem extracts slowed mosquito breeding, reduced incidence of Japanese encephalitis, and significantly increased grain yield in a cost-effective manner (Rao et al., 1995).

• In a study of 814 people with scabies, topical application of a skin paste made of neem leaves (4 parts) and turmeric root (1 part) cured 97% of the cases within three to 15 days of treatment (Charles & Charles, 1992).

• The insecticide activity of neem extracts seems to come from its ability to reduce appetite and disrupt growth in certain insects, including mosquitoes (Ley, 1990).

• Application of neem oil appears to induce a strong blockage of fertility. In a controlled study of fertile female Wistar rats, a single intrauterine dose of neem oil caused a 100% infertility rate for periods of 100 to 180 days, while all the control animals became pregnant. Within five months, more than 50% of the test females regained fertility. There was no visible effect on ovarian function (Upadhyay et al., 1990).

• In a related study, the researchers discovered that neem oil acts as an alternative to vasectomy. As with females, a single-dose injection of neem oil in male rats caused infertility for 8 months, blocking sperm production without affecting testosterone (there did appear to be a reduction in testicular size). The effects may be due to a local immune response against the sperm (Upadhyay et al., 1993).

• In an unrelated study, oral administration of neem extract for 10 weeks caused a significant decrease in total testosterone in male rats. There were no cytotoxic effects (Parshad et al., 1994).

• The anti-fertility effect of neem oil was also reported in rhesus monkeys (Bardhan et al., 1991).

• Oral administration of neem seed extract (Praneem) caused abortion early on in the pregnant female baboons and bonnet monkeys. The treatment was tolerated well, and tests of blood chemistry and liver function were normal. The primates regained fertility subsequent to treatment (Mukherjee et al., 1996).

• As a result of the aforementioned effects, researchers investigated neem oil for hormonal properties. They found that it had no estrogenic, anti-estrogenic or progesterone-related activity. They concluded that since the post-coital contraceptive effect of neem oil seems to be non-hormonal, it is less likely to elicit side effects than the steroidal contraceptives (Prakesh et al., 1988).
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    i been meaning to try amla powder treatment in a hot one but my hair has been trapped in PS until i my 1 year nappiversary so tht will be the first thing i do then.
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

• 4bcurlygirl4bcurlygirl Posts: 123Registered Users
    This is the 4th week since Ive been using my Ayurvedic powder treatments. Each week I use use my treatment using:

Alma Powder
    Shikakai Powder
    Brahmi Powder
    Essential Oils of my choice
    My Fave conditioner

My hair has had less shedding, more strengh, and well conditioned. I will be keeping this treatment in my regimen on a weekly basis. I also added some coconut milk to this concation which made it alot more looser. I will change things from time to time by adding Hibiscus powder, marshmallow root pdwr, horsetail pdwr, (all great for cond.), and Rhaussoul clay or Bentonite clay, and Henna. I leave this on for at least 3hrs then follow with a deep conditioner. My hair loves it. It does take all day but I got to do what I got to do lol!!! :blob4:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file