Mineral Reviews: Everyday Min. vs. Loreal Bare Natural

Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
So I had my first mineral makeup experience about a month or so ago with L'Oreal's Bare Naturals, and I recently bought the starter kit from Everyday Minerals (brush, 2 foundations, blush, concealer, and finishing dust). I know lots of people are interested in these, so I thought I'd share:

L'Oreal's Bare Naturals: Good coverage, but didn't look or feel too heavy at all. The coverage lasted all day, but I did get shiny. But it wasn't really a gross-shiny, more of a dewy-shiny, but still a lot shinier than I would like to be. I love the brush that it comes with, and the whole design of it. Because this was the first mineral makeup I had tried, I thought I should try more in case it was even better....

Everyday Minerals: I got the starter kit a few days ago. They even gave me a sample of another foundation shade I wanted to try, so that was nice. I love the concealer and the blush shade is great ("email me"). The blush and concealer look really natural and blend great. I normally don't wear concealer because I can never get it to look like there's not a spot of concealer there, but this stuff is great! The "Golden Fair" foundation is the perfect color for me. The Fairly Light was too light (like the L'Oreal) and the Light Neutral was just an awful tone to it...really ashy-like. I find this doesn't give as good coverage as the L'Oreal, and is more difficult to put on (I feel like I'm in a cloud of powder in my bathroom!). But the results are still great. By the end of the day, however, this doesn't hold up well. I get shiny (both foundation formulations were "matte") and the coverage just isn't there anymore. I honestly don't see what the finishing dust actually does.

Overall, I'm glad I bought the Everyday Minerals. I'll definitely keep using the concealer and the blush, and probably the finishing dust. However, I'm sure I'll eventually go back to the L'Oreal for my regular foundation.
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON

Comments

• internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    I used the L'ORÉAL and it settled into every line of my face, making me look 10 years older :? How much is the everyday minerals?
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Registered Users Posts: 123
    Internetchick

I actually bought samples from everyday minerals and like it. It's free samples and all you pay is for shipping which is like $4 depending on your location. You get 3 different color foundations, 1 blush and your choice of a concealer or like a finishing dust. They come in nice little clear containers and with a decent amount in each. It should easily last you a few weeks. I love their blushes and there's so many colors to choose from.

I've actually ordered 3 sample kits so far because I kept getting the wrong color, again just paid for shipping and I got all these different color blushes.

I recommend their premium brushes though, their regular brushes shed a lot and quite frankly one of the handles broke off the first time I tried it, but their premium brushes are soft, lush and nice!

Here's the link for the sample kit.

http://www.everydayminerals.com/shop/prod_80.html
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    I had the settling problem, too, and asked how to combat that. I can't remember who gave me the recs, but here's what I do:

Apply your moisturizer and allow to set in. Then, apply a layer of aloe vera gel and let that dry completely, then use the mineral makeup. She also said that a really good thing to use is that Monistat Chafing gel or whatever it's called. I haven't tried that yet. The thing is, you have to prime your face first. Mineral makeup settles into pores and fine lines, accentuating them.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
    Thanks for the link ariesxtreme! Their brushes look great. I have been on a quest for a good set of brushes. You are making me seriously consider skipping the Sonia Kashuk brushes for these :twisted:
  • cjccjc Registered Users Posts: 636
    Their premium brush kit is a great buy. May have to get it.
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Registered Users Posts: 123
    cjc wrote:
    Their premium brush kit is a great buy. May have to get it.

It is isn't it? For the price too? I hear raves about MAC brushes and I'm sure they're great and it'll last, but I'm not about to spend $50/brush.

The premium brushes from Everyday Minerals offers lifetime guarantee on their premium brushes anyhow.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^ i buy brushes at the art supply store or Michael's!

:D

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=477
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    I used the L'ORÉAL and it settled into every line of my face, making me look 10 years older :? How much is the everyday minerals?

I could see how that would be a problem, but I have no real lines yet (knock on wood!!!) and it didn't seem to settle into my big pores on my nose, either.

I've been liking the Everyday Minerals more lately. I've actually been using the L'Oreal brush to apply it, because I like the more control I get with a smaller stiffer brush. It still doesn't hold up all day, though, but it's perfect when I'm not going to be out for 14+ hours like I am a few day s a week!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't get lasting, all-day coverage from the minerals.

I use everyday minerals foundation and the premium brushes. I tried several other brushes, including the Sonya ones from Target, and I like the EM premium brushes best (for now anyway :wink: ). They're really soft, which is helpful for my irritated skin.

I've tried all sorts of things to get a natural looking coverage (without the powder setting into lines, which I have) that lasts. I moisturize. Tried the chafing stuff, basically any silicone-rich moisturizer or sunscreen will also work. Also, I put a titanium/zinc sunscreen on before the power. All of that gets time to set. Then I brush on foundation, I get the best results just barely touching my face with the brush (in the beginning I think I was really brushing too hard). Then finishing dust, then another layer of foundation, then finishing dust again.

Initially it looks too cakey, so I usually rub my (clean) fingers or a cotton pad over my face to sweep away excess.

By the end of the day, it's mostly gone. I've been trying really hard not to touch my face.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • Agent ScarlettAgent Scarlett Registered Users Posts: 275
    I've been using EDM for the past couple of weeks and although the shade I'm using is absolutely perfect, I have to agree with others who have posted here about it's wearability (or lack of). My face gets so darn shiney and by the end of the day, the makeup has just about disappeared. I'm so bummed! I used to use Jane Iredale and the coverage/durability is phenomenal but I could never get the right shade. Plus, they add some fillers that I'm not crazy about. I just ordered another mineral makeup from Joppa. It's getting rave reviews over at acne.org so I'm hoping that this will be it.
    CSI Gal wrote:
    I've been using EDM for the past couple of weeks and although the shade I'm using is absolutely perfect, I have to agree with others who have posted here about it's wearability (or lack of). My face gets so darn shiney and by the end of the day, the makeup has just about disappeared. I'm so bummed! I used to use Jane Iredale and the coverage/durability is phenomenal but I could never get the right shade. Plus, they add some fillers that I'm not crazy about. I just ordered another mineral makeup from Joppa. It's getting rave reviews over at acne.org so I'm hoping that this will be it.

Was that with the finishing powder?
    CSI Gal wrote:

Was that with the finishing powder?

Yup. I've even been using milk of magnesia prior to application in the hopes of it lasting longer but no such luck. And I'm going through blotting sheets like crazy! Funny thing, when I used Jane Iredale, I never had to blot. It also has quite the staying power but it may be because of all the extra stuff that in it. I'm hoping I'll have better luck with Joppa.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder why it doesn't last for you? Mine stays on all day and I don't get any shine (unless it's really hot out).
    I start with Avon tinted moisturizer, then a face primer (I use and love the Monistat Soothing Care chafing gel). I apply my everyday minerals foundation with a velvet powder puff not a brush, and that's it. I don't use any finishing powder. It lasts all day.
    I do have a problem getting the blush to stay on all day tho. And I haven't found a color I like yet. They're all too light and chalky looking.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I found out why my EDM was not lasting. The culprit...emu oil :( I'm so sad because I love this stuff but I guess it wasn't being absorbed and it was causing my makeup to slide off. Today, I used Eucerin moisturizer and I haven't had the need to blot. So happy! :D
    CSI Gal wrote:
    I found out why my EDM was not lasting. The culprit...emu oil :( I'm so sad because I love this stuff but I guess it wasn't being absorbed and it was causing my makeup to slide off. Today, I used Eucerin moisturizer and I haven't had the need to blot. So happy! :D

Atleast you figured out what was going on.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I found out why my EDM was not lasting. The culprit...emu oil I'm so sad because I love this stuff but I guess it wasn't being absorbed and it was causing my makeup to slide off. Today, I used Eucerin moisturizer and I haven't had the need to blot. So happy!

I can't get emu oil to absorb on it's own either. When I mix it with hyaluronic acid (a humescent ingredient in most commercial moisturizers), it absorbs right in. So, if you still want to use a biological-healing-oil (which emu is), rather than a commercial moisturizer full of detergents and junk, there is something you can do. Emu with HA is the absolute perfect moisturizer.

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=126

The 1 oz sample is only $5, and it is PLENTY. One ounce lasts me about 6 months. I mix 1 or 2 drops of emu with 1 or 2 drops of HA in the palm of my hand and it is enough to cover my face and neck.
    RCW, How does the hyaluronic acid product that you reference above (in the link) compare to the Professional Solutions hyaluronic acid gel?

I'm just curious because of the significant price difference. I don't believe that the Prof Solutions gel states the % of HA in it. I know that you can buy the dry HA ingredient (to make your own cosmetics) for about $60 an oz and it's water soluble. As you can tell, I've been doing product comparisons and trying to find an affordable way to incorporate this in my regime.

For what it's worth, I've been having great luck with CeraVe cleanser & moisturizer (available at Walgreens). They're both very light products. I much prefer the CeraVe over cetaphil (yuck) for cleansing, and the moisturizer is working well for me. It works well under the EVD because it absorbs right into my skin.
    formerly Castella
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:15 pm Post subject:

RCW, How does the hyaluronic acid product that you reference above (in the link) compare to the Professional Solutions hyaluronic acid gel?

I'm just curious because of the significant price difference. I don't believe that the Prof Solutions gel states the % of HA in it. I know that you can buy the dry HA ingredient (to make your own cosmetics) for about $60 an oz and it's water soluble. As you can tell, I've been doing product comparisons and trying to find an affordable way to incorporate this in my regime.

For what it's worth, I've been having great luck with CeraVe cleanser & moisturizer (available at Walgreens). They're both very light products. I much prefer the CeraVe over cetaphil (yuck) for cleansing, and the moisturizer is working well for me. It works well under the EVD because it absorbs right into my skin.

The HA from IngredientsToDieFor.com is the same as the one from Professional Solutions. They just sell in larger bulk so it's cheaper. Nearly all HA's are 1%. Some are 1/2%. Anything more than 2 or 3%, I think, would be a SOLID...so more doesn't necessarily mean better. You will like this HA.

I haven't tried the CeraVe products. I had read that the cleanser was high in moisturizing ingredients, which generally isn't suitable for oily-acne-prone persons such as myself. Does it clean makeup off well?
    Yes, the Cerave cleanser has a lot of moisturizers in it. I don't seem to have the ingred list any more, it had a peel off label with more info underneath. I saved the ingred label for a while but now I can't find it :evil: . I'll keep looking but frankly it's hopeless. I'm typing from a tiny island in a sea of paper, books, hair product, supplements & clothes!

It removes my mineral makeup & zinc/titanium sunscreen, and it does not leave a residue. In fact, my facial skin (combi dry/oily) usually feels a little tight after using it. It's not my only cleansing product, though, I usually use it to remove stuff before I work out, then after workout I do a very modified OCM (got to use up that jug of castor oil) followed by SA.
    formerly Castella

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file