Postpartum birth control pill question

RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
This is probably a stupid question, but I had my 6 week check-up today and got the go-ahead for all normal "activities," and a prescription for Ortho-tricyclen. I haven't taken birth control pills in years, and haven't taken them after having a baby ever, so I'm confused on something. I was going to start them this evening, but I read the directions, and it says to start on the first day of your period, or the Sunday following it. I haven't had a period yet, at least I don't think so. I'm still spotting a bit, haven't ever totally stopped bleeding yet. I know I'll obviously ovulate before I have my first PP period, so I don't really want to wait to start taking pills. I'll be using condoms the first week I'm on the pill, but I'd rather not use them for many weeks/months (however long it takes to get a period) if I can just take the pill instead. Does anyone know if there is there some reason I can't just start taking the pill now?
DPTFm5.png

Comments

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Just start it now. Those directions are written for women having a regular menstrual cycle, which doesn't apply to women who just had a baby. Like you said, if you wait for your first period, you could already have ovulated and possibly gotten pregnant.

The Sunday start is an arbitrary day--there is nothing different that your uterus does on a Sunday. I once had a nurse chastise me for not starting my pill pack on a Sunday, like it made any difference in how the pill works lol.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Are you breastfeeding? If so, taking this BC pill may affect your supply.

If you're confused, you could try calling the doctor's office and speak with the nurses...they're usually pretty helpful.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep, start now...cut that sucker off! lol
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Thanks guys. No, not BFing, so that isn't an issue, keltie. :) I started them that night. Like you said iris, it isn't as though my uterus has a calendar with the days of the week!
    DPTFm5.png
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Glad you figured it out!
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file