Home made (flax seed) gel - need help

2»

Comments

• SkibiesSkibies Posts: 156Registered Users
    Can this be used in place of a leave-in conditioner? Because everyone is saying that it leaves them with a lot of shine.
    3&4 Curls and Corkscrews
    Poo:Marshmallow Shampoo Bar
    Conditioner:Yes To Tomatoes & She Scent It Avocado Conditioner
    Leave-in:QB Burdock Cream
    Styling:QB Amla & Heavy Cream
    Hair Mask:Bentonite Clay
    :afro: *NO MORE HEAT STYLING MY HAIR, JUST LOVING MY HAIR*
    My Blog: http://rizosbonitos.blogspot.com/
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    Hey, I just made some of this as a curl enhancer and posted on the product review board. Take a look at my March Fotki folder for my pics on what the results were.
    I used 2tbsp seed to 1 cup distilled water and simmered for 3 min for a thin gel that I diluted again and used as a spray. I also added rosemary for scent.
    I found the trick to straining. Put a piece of cheesecloth in a bowl with enough to hang over the edges, pour the mix into that then gather the corners and twist and wring downward. Most of the gel should come out and since cheesecloth is cheap too just pitch it.
    I am thinking that the next batch I cook up I am gonna add more rosemary and dilute with coconut milk maybe? Anyone have any other ideas? Also I want to add jojoba and aloe juice. I am trying for a good sub for RR when I can't get/afford it...
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    That sounds really good echokitten! I strain mine by using one of those mesh strainers..it works really well...I got a nice one for a great price at Target.

I tossed all my herbs but you are making me want to experiment again :)
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    Ok I dug out my flax seeds :) I had some botanical stuff I had gotten from the herbarie made of rosemary, lavender, rose and something else..and I had some dried hibiscus flowers...sooo, I cooked up a batch of flax seed gel. I'll use it tomorrow. It smells really good! And, the color is pretty cool...kind of a dark auburn or something. I'll let you know how it goes.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    hockeymom -how did the gel work for you? What exactly did you use?
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    echokitten wrote:
    Hey, I just made some of this as a curl enhancer and posted on the product review board. Take a look at my March Fotki folder for my pics on what the results were.
    I used 2tbsp seed to 1 cup distilled water and simmered for 3 min for a thin gel that I diluted again and used as a spray. I also added rosemary for scent.
    I found the trick to straining. Put a piece of cheesecloth in a bowl with enough to hang over the edges, pour the mix into that then gather the corners and twist and wring downward. Most of the gel should come out and since cheesecloth is cheap too just pitch it.
    I am thinking that the next batch I cook up I am gonna add more rosemary and dilute with coconut milk maybe? Anyone have any other ideas? Also I want to add jojoba and aloe juice. I am trying for a good sub for RR when I can't get/afford it...

UPDATE--
    I finally got my order from the seller I bought from on eBay(never again will I buy from her) and I made a curl enhancer/shine spray.
    Here is my recipe-
    2 tablespoons flax seed whole
    1 tablespoon rosemary leaves dried(fresh leaves are stronger, i had none)
    1 cup distilled water
    mix in saucepan bring to boil IMMEDIATLY turn to barely simmering, simmer for 1- 1.5 min only.
    set aside to cool

In a 8oz or larger spray bottle, combine the following-
    2 tbsp jojoba oil
    2 tbsp shea oil or vegetable glycerin
    2 tbsp aloe vera gel or juice
    1 tsp epsom salt disolved in 1/4 cup distilled warm water

When flax liquid is cool strain and combine with the mixture in the spray bottle and shake well. You have to shake it before using every time because it separates. You may also have to thin it if it won't spray with more distilled water.
    I just DT'd with a heated mix of pure shea butter,jojoba oil and shea butter left in for about 2 hours, rinsed and co-washed out, then sprayed this on my hair nothing else...So Far so good. Hair is SOOO soft. You can play around with the oils and epsom for what works for you. Good Luck!
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • curly-oreocurly-oreo Posts: 15Registered Users
    so which is better to mix the gel with, aloe vera juice or aloe vera gel?
  • musica_almusica_al Posts: 94Registered Users
    sunshower wrote:
    actually, i've yet to make it using a preservative, but Germall Plus would probably be good. this is a good place for buying preservatives: http://www.theherbarie.com/

How much Germall Plus would you use in a typical batch of gel? I've made some of my own recipes and want to try the flax seed gel. I've never used any preservatives.
    Chin length 3A Prodcuts: Burt's Bees More Moisture Shampoo/Conditioner; All in One Spray ; searching for ideal styling products
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    Also in that link it says to refridgerate up to a week does it go bad after a week which means you have to make a new batch every week?

Each time I've made mine it's lasted for months in the fridge without any signs of rancidity, I believe the lavender oil and vit. E I add give it longer life.

For extra hold, a little Epsom Salt and AVG has done the trick for me.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • chandistarrchandistarr Posts: 38Registered Users
    Do ya'll use this gel without any other products or do you put something else under or over it? Thanks
  • cmartin1cmartin1 Posts: 152Registered Users
    Does this flax gel work less efffectively on 2c's? Just wanted to know before I purchase flax seeds. Thank you!
  • cmartin1cmartin1 Posts: 152Registered Users
    I made this stuff tonight - the flaxseed gel component, anyway. It seemed real easy to makes this stuff, and the consistency seems promising. I used Arrowhead Mills Organic Flax Seeds, I don't know if that made a difference in the outcome.

I also discovered I enjoy flax seeds on salad, in my oatmeal, and pancakes. A serving of this stuff can help control one's appetite - a nice perk!

I am going to mix this stuff tomorrow with a gob of Salon Grafix Freezing Gel and maybe a little honey right before I apply it.
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Posts: 253Registered Users
    Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I'm letting it cool right now, and I can't wait to try it tomorrow. I soaked an herbal tea bag in it for a minute so it smells nice, too.
    3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
    Formerly "Rainyday"
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    Ok...I'm trying to make this stuff now. When the recipe says a cup do you mean a traditional measuring cup or a drinking glass? Also should it really simmer for 10 minutes my first try came out way too think to strain.

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I did the method where you bring it to a boil and then immediately remove and let it sit. I think for about 15-20 minutes.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    xcptnl wrote:
    I did the method where you bring it to a boil and then immediately remove and let it sit. I think for about 15-20 minutes.

Ok....and how did that work for you?

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
    It worked well. I was able to strain it. The consistency was like egg whites.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Really? I guess it thickens as it sits there cooling, cause I am thinking back to when it just started boiling and I am pretty sure the consitency was still way too watery....but the way I did it I still had a hard time straining it. Maybe I'll do like how you said and then strain it...if it isn't think enough maybe I can put it back in the pot and continue to simmer it a bit....if that will work.

Yes it does thicken as it sits with the seeds in it.
    Central Massachusetts

• CurlyChrisInTheSticksCurlyChrisInTheSticks Posts: 40Registered Users
    I made this tonight, too. I wanted to try and duplicate RR. I have some coming, but couldn't wait. I was really happy with the results.

The recipe was
    1 cup water
    2 tbsp flax seed, whole

Bring to a boil and then simmer for ten minutes, stirring frequently. Strain.

Then add
    1/4 cup aloe vera gel (used fruit of the earth, and it had a lot of extracts great for hair like burdock, nettle, etc.)
    1/8 cup vegetable glycerin (could use honey)
    1 tbsp olive oil (would like to try jojoba)
    1 tbsp epsom salt

I used a stick blender; hasn't separated yet. I have preservative, but haven't added yet. Germall plus liquid. Liquid Germall Plus is a broad spectrum, water soluble preservative for Oil in Water, ... Usage Rate: 0.1 - 0.5%

CO'd then applied this to dripping wet hair, followed with curl gel by LA Looks, plopped for 10 minutes, then applied noodle head and clipped curls in place, air dried.

Haven't had curls this good since I started.
    CurlyChrisInTheSticks
    Shoulder Length Brunette
    3a/3b
    Well...I haven't made anothe batch of flaxseed gel yet...but I will try again. The batch that I did make though...wow! I used a bunch of it on sopping wet hair today...so I only had the gel and my usual amount of leave in conditioner....It held great. It was sooo soft and shiny...I think I found my new gel.

• CurlyChrisInTheSticksCurlyChrisInTheSticks Posts: 40Registered Users
    FYI, somebody accurately described this gel as "snot." I used a stick blender on the concoction to mix, and it did separate later, BUT it shook together effortlessly. The stick blenders' high sheer "cut" the "snot" so to speak.

HTH anyone turned off by the yucky consistency.
    CurlyChrisInTheSticks
    Shoulder Length Brunette
    3a/3b
    It takes some getting used to....but it helps because I know exactly what it is...just some boiked seeds...not to mention what it does to my hair! So I can deal with the consistency. :cheers:

I also did something where I just filled a cup with distilled water and boiled it in the microwave, I had 2 tablespoons of flaxseed in a stocking (from the first batch that I made and strained) so I just kind of left the stocking sit in the cup for a while and made sort of like spray gel.

• MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's funny, I was about to start a thread about flax seed gel and saw this one already. I had used this years ago and use to love it and for some reason stopped (who knows, maybe the PJ lured me away :twisted:).
    But I was cleaning out my kitchen cupboards today and found some flax seed and since I was DTing I figured..hmmm, why not make a batch of this and try it out again. Well, I have to say my curls look awesome! I haven't had this much definition and boinginess in weeks! :afro:
    My batch was very runny so it was hard to get it in my hand and make it to my hair without some of it running out between my fingers but I managed to distribute it pretty well. Maybe I'll try it thicker next time.
    Hmm...or maybe I can leave it runny and put it in a spray bottle.

Now, I'm all excited and want to play around with the recipe to see if I can "enhance" it. :bounce: I can't use honey because it makes me frizz but I was thinking maybe a bit of glycerin. I also have some apricot kernel oil and I wonder if this will give the same "clumping" effect that peach kernel oil does.
    I'll have to let you guys know. :flower:
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file