How to handle salon visits when you don't use poo?

wavykatewavykate Registered Users Posts: 2
I'm about to go to the salon for the first time since starting CG, and I'm not sure how to handle the fact that I won't want them to shampoo me. An added twist is that I'm going to a training salon, and so not only will I have to convince the student not to wash me, but an instructor will have to say "okay" as well! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Kate

Comments

• SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    If you feel strongly about it, bring your own stuff and say that your scalp reacts to everything but what you have brought.

For all the years that I've been CG, I still go to my salon and let my HD use shampoo on my hair (she usually uses Pureology which is supposed to be sulfate-free, but still has some chemicals in it that get suds going) and conditioners with silicones. It has never had an adverse impact on my hair that lasted past the next CO wash. No skin or scalp reactions, my hair didn't fall out/break, nor was it any more dry than it usually is; YMMV. Just mentioning that in case you decide that you don't want to say anything to them about not shampooing your hair.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    You can also just show up with wet hair and tell them you don't want to be shampooed :) Or if you have a good relationship with your stylist, you could bring your own stuff and enlighten her about CG. The allergy excuse is a good one too if you don't think the stylist will respond well. Hope the cut comes out well!!
  • jenny curljenny curl Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Ah, I know the feeling.... Since going CG I actually decided to go back to a family friend by coincidence (I have a hard time finding a good stylist for curly hair) and I tried to enlighten her about CG; she agreed to most of it, but looked at me funny when I mentioned not wanting to use silicones! It can be uncomfortable, especially when most hairdressers don't treat curly hair different than those with naturally straight hair and it can be very frustrating. But don't lose hope! :blob2:
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • lizzlebelizzlelizzlebelizzle Registered Users Posts: 287
    I just let them wash my hair. For how few times I get my hair cut (2-3 per year) it's fine. It's not like I'm using sulfates day in day out and it might get rid of any sneaky buildup I had going on.
  • lacylainelacylaine Registered Users Posts: 10
    I get my hair colored when i go. Don't they have to use shampoo to get the color out? Just curious because my next visit will be the first time i get it colored being a CG. Any ideas?
  • AntjeAntje Registered Users Posts: 94
    I should go with wet hair, and said you've just washed it.
    I co-wash clients in the salon, but I'm the only stylist who does it,
    my colega's don't believe in the curly girl methode.
    2c waves curls.

Started the CG routine again!! since Februari 8 2011

http://www.glamourace-collies.blogspot.nl/
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
  • LiliputLiliput Registered Users Posts: 55
    wavykate wrote: »
    I'm about to go to the salon for the first time since starting CG, and I'm not sure how to handle the fact that I won't want them to shampoo me. An added twist is that I'm going to a training salon, and so not only will I have to convince the student not to wash me, but an instructor will have to say "okay" as well! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Kate

Yes. cowash your hair at home before going to the salon. If they ask, you say you just washed it at home. Why? You prefer to use your own products! This is what I say and I've never have any problems.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I've been bringing my own products for a long time. I used to let them use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva NoPoo[/buylink]. When they changed the ingredients, it started to make my hair feel awful! Really dry. Took a few days to recover. I was bringing a lowpoo. When I got my hair cut and highlighted on Friday, I brought the new CJ Daily Fix. It was a win/win situation. The shampoo guy doesn't like to use rinse out conditioner on my hair--he thinks it's so moisturized, that it doesn't need it. (he just doesn't "get it") The DF leaves it really soft and feeling great--even after highlights!

I think it's a great "compromise" product for anyone to bring to the salon. I actually brought a little extra for my stylist to try. He decided that he was going to have one of the female stylists use it, because he thought her hair could benefit. I'm trying to get the salon to stock CJ instead of Deva. I think the curlies would appreciate the change.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Proserpine79Proserpine79 Registered Users Posts: 13
    I am new to the CG method and am loving it. I need to make an appointment in a few days for a trim and color. I found a salon willing to cut my hair dry and use the pintura (painted on highlights) method. However, I don't know if they can wash out color with a conditioner. I'm considering researching the products the salon uses and then choosing the shampoo that has low levels of sulfate or just bringing my own.

Any advice for a CG girl who is going to get colored? Also, do I ask my stylist to comb my hair while wet with the conditioner in? I'm so nervous. I don't want to be a pain.

Any help and advice is appreciated.
    Cowash: Suave Rosemary Mint
    Conditioner: AG Recoil Conditioner, Almond Oil, Coconut Oil
    Clarifying Treatment: Lemon Juice once every two weeks
    Leave in: AG Fast Food
    Deep Treatment: Phyto Intense Nutrition Mask, Homemade Hot Oil treatment,
    Products: LA Looks sports gel, AG Recoil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file