Need recs for a gentle cleanser Sulfate free

long_n_curlylong_n_curly Registered Users Posts: 300
Hi Im a total make-up skin care newbie and need your help. I have dry patches on my forehead even when I just wash with water yet most of the rest of my face is normal or oily. What cleanser and moisturizer can I use to even out my sensitive combination skin? I would prefer to try health food store over drug store items...or even better recipes I can make with natural ingredients.TIA
Lots of Fine easily weighed down 3A curls
PJ currently loving Devacare one c, CEHT,& Durahold but still searching for HGs
Finally grew out my bad layers!!!

Comments

• SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    I was waiting to give Rou a chance to chime in...but got impatient!

I like NutriBiotic which I can get in the US at Whole Foods. It says non soap cleanser, it does have sodium laurETH sulfate in it. It works great on my hands, where my eczema is the worst, and I also use it on my face. I do not find it drying at all, but it will remove makeup and sunscreen.

http://www.nutribiotic.com/nonsoap.htm

I also use distilled witch hazel, just be sure to get one without any drying alcohol in it. It is an astringent.

And finally, just plain aloe vera gel does a pretty good job of cleansing w/o drying. It removes mineral makeup, I don't know about sunscreen.

You have my complete empathy because I am also a newbie at skin & makeup stuff. Because of the darn eczema. I went for years with just a mild soap and water, and bearable breakouts, but now that I'm in my 40s the breakouts are worse and I'm trying different stuff to clean my face up w/o burning it off! And the non-chemical sun protection is a bit challenging, but I like SolBar.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • long_n_curlylong_n_curly Registered Users Posts: 300
    Thanks castella! Myself and one of my sons are needing
    a soap alternative. I think I will opt for aloe vera first as I have irritated skin at the moment.I dont often wear make up (once a week tops) but its nice to know I can get it off with this.
    Thanks again for the advice Im going to head to my local health food store this week and check into these :^)
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Registered Users Posts: 540
    I dont really have any recommendations for cleansers and moisturizers that you can find at health food stores. The only gentle ones I am familiar with are Cetaphil products..Cereve is a new one that is pretty good...Dove is also pretty gentle as well. I did just want to comment on the flaking on your forehead. Is it just your forehead? Do you get it in your ears or around the nose or have a flaky scalp? Just wondering if it could be a little seborrheic dermatitis. If it is a little over the counter cortisone may be helpful. If this does the trick you may want to see a dermatologist because you dont want to use cortisone long term on your face and there are some good prescription creams that are free of cortisone.....so they are safe to use longterm.
    .png
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    You might want to check out this thread ...Amneris mentioned Spectrojel, which is available in Canada. There's also the oil cleansing method, which doesn't involve any soap. And a cream recommended I think by Dark Angel for eczema and dry, flaking skin is California Baby Calendula Cream.

When I use aloe gel, I put some on a cotton wipe (those cotton squares or a cotton ball) and wipe it over my face.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Registered Users Posts: 540
    Castella wrote:
    You might want to check out this thread ...Amneris mentioned Spectrojel, which is available in Canada. There's also the oil cleansing method, which doesn't involve any soap. And a cream recommended I think by Dark Angel for eczema and dry, flaking skin is California Baby Calendula Cream.

When I use aloe gel, I put some on a cotton wipe (those cotton squares or a cotton ball) and wipe it over my face.

Thats a great thread..I was just reading thru it and lots of helpful tips.

Just so you know Castella I was reading your comment about Protopic...not sure if you still use it. But that was actually a bogus study and its a shame because it gave Protopic a bad rap and its one of the safest topical meds to use on a long term basis. They performed the study on rats and the rats ingested it and some of them developed lymphoma. There has never been a documented case of a human developing it from the use of protopic. You absorb very little..so unless you were bathing in it daily...you have no worries. We prescribe it daily in our office to all ages..even infants. Just wanted to let you know incase you are still using it...dermatologists still consider this a very safe topical med.
    .png
  • long_n_curlylong_n_curly Registered Users Posts: 300
    Thanks for this great thread rec Castella Im going to try a few things from it YAY!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    There are very few sulfate-detergent-free facial cleansers out there that don't have a super high Ph. High Ph is just as damaging to the skin's acid mantle (your skin's protective barrier) as detergents are. I have only found one cleanser that meets my criteria of being detergent-free and neutral Ph. It's made by Professional Solutions (http://www.naturalskincare.com/index.html). They're Rose Hip Seed cleanser is for dry skin and their Wheat Germ Oil cleanser is for oily skin (that's the one I use). Their other cleansers aren't that great, but these two are just the bomb. I buy mine here:
    http://www.skincarecentral.biz/skincare-cleansers.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file