haircut dilema!

Ok, I've been doing CG for a bit now, and I don't want to mess up my routine! However, it's time for a haircut, and I'm needing it QUITE bad! How do I explain to my stylist that I don't want her to shampoo/condition my hair or put in product? I'm just nervous about telling her about CG!

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I know the feeling. I'm due for a cut and I've decided to let my stylist use her regular products. They each only contain one cone (a non-water soluble one) far down the list, but still a cone. I was using them until July anyway.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • WavingNotCurlingWavingNotCurling Registered Users Posts: 150
    I've been wondering about this, too. I don't think I can go back to my regular stylist now that I'm CG because she's the one that kept on cutting and razoring and cutting. It's finally healthy and I'm not gonna mess it up.

I've just recently trimmed it myself (according to BabyWavy's instructions) and that should last me a few more months; since I'm growing it out.

I guess if you've been going to the same stylist for awhile and you like and trust her/him, then you could explain that you just want the very ends trimmed and you want them to "try" doing it on dry hair. That way you dont' need to worry about the products. You could even show them the section in "Curly Girl" where Lorraine explains cutting curly hair.
    *CG for wavies. Type 2/3ab mix.
    (overgrown) Inverted bob.
    *Conditioner - VO5, Oyin, Goth Rosary
    *Gel - Origins, Jessicurl or Lush
    *Lo-Poo - Carols Daughter
  • esmeraldaesmeralda Registered Users Posts: 187
    You can tell her that you already washed your hair today & dont want to dry it out with another shampoo.
    Or you could bring some conditioner with you in a small samplebottle & tell her its a nonfoaming treatmentshampoo & that you cant use anything else.

Its your head!!
    (& hair)

I actually think its funny to tell people that I dont use shampoo.
    They look at me in disbelief & some are grossed out, but I always pass the scratch"n sniff test.
    2C/3A,jetblack indian curls:)
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    You could bring a sulfate free shampoo and cone-free conditioner. Most hair places withh be fine with using whatever products you bring. You could even bring your own styling products.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • lovelycurlylovelycurly Registered Users Posts: 11
    I've been wondering about this, too. I don't think I can go back to my regular stylist now that I'm CG because she's the one that kept on cutting and razoring and cutting. It's finally healthy and I'm not gonna mess it up.

I've just recently trimmed it myself (according to BabyWavy's instructions) and that should last me a few more months; since I'm growing it out.
    I guess if you've been going to the same stylist for awhile and you like and trust her/him, then you could explain that you just want the very ends trimmed and you want them to "try" doing it on dry hair. That way you dont' need to worry about the products. You could even show them the section in "Curly Girl" where Lorraine explains cutting curly hair.

OOOHHHH I think I am trying to grow mine out too! How did you do that? Then I could become more "confident" in my CG stuff before I had to go tell the stylist NO SHAMPOO! :lol: And I haven't been going to this lady long...just once before! And that was a LONG time ago (as I had to go home for the summer, I am currently away at school) so I don't know what to do. AND I am trying to decide if I want to get my hair colored...I NEED it but I don't know what to do :( But since I haven't been going long it's hard for me to just explain stuff to her, my lady at home I could just go in there and tell her how it was and she would ask me questions b/c she was curious but would never judge! I guess that's ultimately what I'm nervous about!
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    "what are we doing today? =)"
    "just a rinse with water (i had coconut oil in anyway) and trim. i'm letting it go all natural =)"
    3b-3c CG
  • WavingNotCurlingWavingNotCurling Registered Users Posts: 150
    Since I'm not positive how to post a link to a previous thread, here is BabyWavy's description of cutting her hair:

"First I started by cutting off my split ends. For a few days, when it was dry I'd go in front of the bathroom mirror and snip off any split ends I saw. I'd move my hair around from the side, and the back, so I'd get all over. This took me a while b/c I had a TON of split ends. Stylists are always cutting my hair in "even" layers, so most of the time they're not getting all the damaged ends. I've always said I hate my hair cut into even layers b/c it does not help the curl to have my hair lay evenly. I wanted the curls to sit inside eachother, not on top of eachother.

Okay, so then I started chopping at curls. I randomly around my head started taking some bulk (and damaged ends) out of my curls. I have a mirror on the back of my bathroom door, and when I stand in front of it, I can see the back of my hair in the vanity mirror. This helped A LOT.

The way I did this was to cut at the top of the "S" like suggested in the Curly Girl book, and I wasn't afraid of it being uneven. If I wore my hair straight I'm sure it would be all jacked up - but curly it looks great! I took out layers where it looked bulky, or too heavy.

The biggest tip is I cut each curl at an angle. I angled the scissors to cut inside the curl - meaning, the scissors were angled so it was cutting shorter INSIDE the curl, and longer on the outside. This kind of encouraged it to keep curling in that direction.

When I did the bottom I snipped it w/ the scissors straight up and down, and I just used the tips to chip away the ends."

This is basically what I did to mine. It sounds complex, but it is really easy. Just remember to use nicely sharpened scissors. I figure I can use the money I'm saving on a stylist to buy more hair products, right :?: :lol:
    *CG for wavies. Type 2/3ab mix.
    (overgrown) Inverted bob.
    *Conditioner - VO5, Oyin, Goth Rosary
    *Gel - Origins, Jessicurl or Lush
    *Lo-Poo - Carols Daughter
  • lovelycurlylovelycurly Registered Users Posts: 11
    i just had to give an update!!! i cut my own hair and it looks great right now...it was exactly what i wanted since i was able to be inside my head and know what i want lol! i hope it looks good stuff the next time i wash it and style it from wetness to dry!!! thanks for giving me the confidence to cut it myself! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file