We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

White patches around my daughter's mouth?

She is 5. They appeared maybe a couple of weeks ago(?) At first, there was one on each corner of her mouth. Now, there are several around the edge of her lips. She has only complained about them once, very early on, she just mentioned off-hand that they hurt a little. They don't seem to bother her at all, but they're still there.

There is nothing inside her mouth, however. They're not raised areas but are flat. They look weird. I'm baffled.

I've been trying to google, but all I can found are thrush references and references to white patches/spots inside the mouth. I have been putting Blistex cream on them, which she hates because of the smell.

Has anyone's kid ever had anything like this before? She has a dentist's appointment coming up in a couple of days. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Don't use Blistex it burns, try bag balm untill you see the Dr.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I have no suggestions as to what it might be, but I do have a tip for putting something on it. My daugher gets very crusty, dry areas around her mouth, and will always wipe off anything I put on them, so I put it on while she is sleeping. Sometimes she still reaches up a hand to rub it off, but if I gently hold her hand away, she quickly forgets about it and goes back to deeper sleep. I use A&D ointment or Neosporin/Bacitracin.

Good luck with figuring it out!
    Minneapolis, MN
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Okay, will stop using Blistex immediately. I've noticed that these areas don't 1) come to a "head" like a zit; 2) get crusty.

Her mouth will now be all white and "ashy/crusty" at the corners when she wakes up.....but that goes away when you wash her face.

Thank God we go to the dentist tomorrow. Maybe he can shed some light on this. I wonder if they still make the miniature boxes of Bag Balm...
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Sinistral, I get something like that in the corners of my mouth. I thought I was allergic to my toothpaste because no amount of lip balm would help. My dentist told me I have some sort of yeast infection (or fungus, I can't remember what). I use Nastatin to help it clear up.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, it sounds like yeast or some sort of dermatitis.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    This is exactly what it looks like, except her areas are not as big. There's one at each corner of her mouth, and several little ones on the skin right above the top lip and bottom lip.

This pic is of vitiligo. However, I'm just staying cool and calm, and we'll see what the dentist says tomorrow.
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    hmmmm....I got these icky white patches on the corners of my mouth a couple years back and my dr. said they were a either a yeast infection or a fungus, I can't remember which. At any rate, they eventually went away, it just took a while. And I went through an obscene amount of chapstik.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
    I stopped putting the Blistex on her...the only time I ever got anything similar was a couple of times, a painful little red crack.

The fact that she wakes up with these areas looking sort of crusty is what makes me think it's yeast/fungal, like the rest of you have said...
    I stopped putting the Blistex on her...the only time I ever got anything similar was a couple of times, a painful little red crack.

The fact that she wakes up with these areas looking sort of crusty is what makes me think it's yeast/fungal, like the rest of you have said...

My doctor had me apply a vitamin E oil stick multiple times a day, and I had to throw them out every 2-3 days.....I think we found them cheapest at Wal*Mart with the vitamins, they were only a dollar or two.

I think that the Aquaphor in a squeezie tube could be applied with your fingers and do basically the same thing :dontknow:......and you would go through a lot less. I went through 10 of those vitamin E oil sticks easily, because I had to throw them out so often....

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    I think that the Aquaphor in a squeezie tube could be applied with your fingers and do basically the same thing :dontknow:......and you would go through a lot less. I went through 10 of those vitamin E oil sticks easily, because I had to throw them out so often....
    Doesn't Aquaphor have camphor in it? I thought that's why it ends in -phor.

Camphor is a skin irritant.
    Nope. I have no clue why its called Aquaphor, but there isn't any camphor in it.

Her appointment was this afternoon for a cleaning; the dentist looked at the areas and said he doesn't know what they are.

He took photos of her mouth and has some meeting with all these other doctors coming up later this week. He said he will take the photos to the meeting to see if any of them have any input.

Thanks to all, I'll keep you posted on what happens.

P.S. I love Aquaphor, great stuff!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A form of seborrhea? You have that, right? I'm not sure if the tendency to develop it is hereditary.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Her appointment was this afternoon for a cleaning; the dentist looked at the areas and said he doesn't know what they are.

He took photos of her mouth and has some meeting with all these other doctors coming up later this week. He said he will take the photos to the meeting to see if any of them have any input.

Thanks to all, I'll keep you posted on what happens.

P.S. I love Aquaphor, great stuff!

I would take her to her regular pediatrician and if he doesn't know what it is, I'd take her to a dermatologist. I wouldn't wait around for a bunch of dentists to confer about it.
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    I agree take her to the pediatrician....
  • AnuvAnuv Posts: 6Registered Users
    My daughter is 3 years old and has been suffering from the exact same problem from the past 1.5 month. Can you please share how your child's issue was resolved and how long did it take?
    Greatly appreciate your reply.
    Thanks
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Anuv wrote: »
    My daughter is 3 years old and has been suffering from the exact same problem from the past 1.5 month. Can you please share how your child's issue was resolved and how long did it take?
    Greatly appreciate your reply.
    Thanks

Is it angular chelitis? /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fm.voices.yahoo.com%2Fangular-cheilitis-symptoms-cures-1975861.html" class="Popup

I had this for years and once I started taking probiotics and a b complex it went away.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    This thread is 3 years old. Is this bump from a spammer? Back in April I got a PM from a poster who created an account just to ask me about a similar thread I started in 2010. The username was different. I chalked it up to spam. But then again, can PM boxes be spammed?
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    This thread is 3 years old. Is this bump from a spammer? Back in April I got a PM from a poster who created an account just to ask me about a similar thread I started in 2010. The username was different. I chalked it up to spam. But then again, can PM boxes be spammed?

Yes, they can.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    juanab wrote: »
    medussa wrote: »

Yes, they can.

Thanks. I was on Feedback and saw that JCG started a thread about it. I didn't know it could be reported, but I found the report button on the blue menu bar and reported it.

It's weird because it doesn't look like spam. It looks like a concerned person looking for answers. Odd.
    My message is not spam. I was searching in google regarding my daughter's condition and this thread showed up in the results.
    I created this account just to ask that one question.
    Sorry, if it's an inconvenience.
    Anuv wrote: »
    My message is not spam. I was searching in google regarding my daughter's condition and this thread showed up in the results.
    I created this account just to ask that one question.
    Sorry, if it's an inconvenience.

Your query is not an inconvenience at all. It seemed rather coincidental that I received a PM regarding a very similar issue, and usually when old threads get bumped, it's more often than not a spammer. I thought there might be a connection between your post and the PM I got from a new poster.

I haven't seen Sinistral55 around in awhile but hopefully she's still lurking and will respond to your question. In my case, it turned out that my daughter had Pityriasis alba. If possible, try to have your daughter seen by her pediatrician to get some answers, as it could be any number of things and Google just serves to scare the heck out of us mothers.

Best of luck!
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users
    I agree, take her to the doctor. They are your best source. Even if it looks like something someone here might recognize, it still would not serve you much because ultimately, someone's opinion here wouldn't help her with her condition.
    Thanks medussa. I already saw her pediatrician, he said he is not sure, might be vitiligo or might be anything, he asked me to see a dermotologist.
    Either way he said they should go away on their own. So, was just concerned. But, these patches don't seem to bother my child, no itch..nothing. Hope they clear up soon.
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »

I don't know if the OP ever got an answer from a doctor, but I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be yeast (or rather a fungal infection...tinea versicolor) that was aggravated at times by my dust allergy.

It's frustrating to treat because the fungus is present normally on your skin anyway, so the chance of recurrence is high. Plus, the lightened skin can take months to return back to normal (even after all the fungus is gone), so you may not feel like you're making any progress.
    33abhqq.gif
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »

I don't know if the OP ever got an answer from a doctor, but I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be yeast (or rather a fungal infection...tinea versicolor) that was aggravated at times by my dust allergy.

It's frustrating to treat because the fungus is present normally on your skin anyway, so the chance of recurrence is high. Plus, the lightened skin can take months to return back to normal (even after all the fungus is gone), so you may not feel like you're making any progress.

My husband has this. Very difficult to get rid of
    Attaching a pic. You can see one at the corner of the mouth and another small one near the upper lip.
  • teejayteejay Posts: 537Registered Users
    My youngest daughter had this several years ago. It is a fungus. We were in the ER with my oldest daughter for an injury. The physician noticed the discoloration on my youngest. She told me it was a fungus and to wash the area with Selsun Blue Dandruff shampoo. It worked like a charm. It never returned.

DH also gets it on his forearms. He uses Selsun Blue and it works for him as well.His does reoccur a couple of times a year.

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
    Thanks for the suggestion. How long did it take to cure after you used the shampoo?
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My husband had tinea versicolor a few years ago. He used Nizoral body shampoo and a prescription cream and it cleared right up. I don't know if Nizoral is better or worse at clearing this up than Selsun Blue or if Nizoral is safe for kids. That's just what the dermatologist told him to use.

You might also want to look at tea tree oil as a supplemental treatment to whatever you wash with. It is also supposed to help since it's an anti-fungal.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file