Attention 4a Curly Guys-Styling Tips For My Son

belwillcoilybelwillcoily Registered Users Posts: 303 Curl Neophyte
Hello!

I have a 10 year old (soon to be 11) who currently wears his hair very short (as in less than 1/4 inch long). My hubby religiously cuts it every two weeks and my son hates it but we tried allowing him to grow it out this summer and since he didn't know what to do with it, it wasn't a good experience for him. He didn't know how to comb it out without ALOT of pain so many, many days, his head looked a HOT MESS!

Anyway, brave little guy that he is, he wants to try growing out his hair again this summer and armed with the information that I have garnered from this site, I think I can show him how to care for his hair without excruciating pain (OUCH! Poor baby!):crybaby:

The thing is, he wants ideas for "masculine" looking styles for longer 4a hair other than just an afro. Maybe some looks that include showcasing his hair's natural ability to produce "coily curls" but he doesn't want to look like a girl with a curly/coil look. KWIM?

Guys don't seem to be into posting pics of themselves and that's fine but for those of you who are willing, could you 4a curly guys post some pics of yourselves with cool styles or someone you know or a pic you found on the internet...anything just to help us out over here.

Thanks in advance!
:afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense

Comments

• belwillcoilybelwillcoily Registered Users Posts: 303 Curl Neophyte
    Okay, I guess nobody's going to help me out here.

Anybody? Any takers? Why do I hear crickets? :scratch:

Oh well, it was worth a try but I guess you all are going to leave me and my cute, innocent, 10 year old son hanging? :dontknow:
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • SparxHovaSparxHova Registered Users Posts: 27
    Not sure about cute styles. i generally let it fall where it feels.:mrgreen:
    3C/4A mix
    120x90-vi.jpg437x5-vi.jpg
    Herbal Essence Hello Hydration

Biotera Curl Creme and Styling Gel or Kinky Curly Knot Today and Curly Custard

Jessiecurl weekly deep conditioning treatment or Mixed Chicks deep conditioning treatment

All sorts of oils.:compress:
    http://public.fotki.com/Sparxhova/
  • bridgete2010bridgete2010 Registered Users Posts: 144
    I dunno... Maybe something like Lenny Kravitz? His hair is longer, but it is kinda girly... so i dunno :(

Maybe a shorter lenny kravitz?

Stumped.
    :(
    Wish I could help.
    Hopefully I didd :)
    Stay curlyyyy
    xx
    Bri

event.png
    my new blog ~~
  • april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Registered Users Posts: 345 Curl Neophyte
    i hardly ever see men with their curls styled, Jayden Smith's hair is sorta wild and free, other guys always have either a ponytail or braids/designs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • kenzie!kenzie! Registered Users Posts: 5,055
    Dreads?? I have a friend (hes a male) who has really, really nice locs. But I don't see too many males with their hair styled....
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • dwilrightjrdwilrightjr Registered Users Posts: 10
    Nice links Innocent114. Also you can just let his hair grow out and make sure that it's moisturized and co-washed at least once a week!

Just avoid this hairstyle!
    Hair type-4b
    Currently following the CG Method
    Hair length-Gradually Growing TWA
    I am trying to achieve a healthy, versatile, afro.

"Be the change you want to see" -Mahatma Ghandi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlLeeCurlLee Registered Users Posts: 221
    [this reminds me of when i would call my mom and ask for advice (she has been natural all my life) on hair. i conveniently went away to college when i grew my hair out, so she wasn't around all the time to help me every step of the way.]

these pictures were me at various times. variations of the fro was what i usually did. i either let it hang naturally, pick it out completely, fluff it out, pulled it back, and then there is always doing conrolls and twists, which i didn't do very often.

when i did have twist and take them out, the twist out looked cool i thought. maybe you can do that.

but when its very short, or twa, there isn't really much you can do. fly hats help, lol.

as far as pain from detangling, all i can suggest is only do that when his head is full of a slippery conditioner maybe about one or twice a week.
    3b here 4a there 3c everywhere
    talk about a mix up :toothy10:

elevator doors open...

random girl: ohhh, you have curly hair

elevator doors begins to close...

random girl's friend:i think he knows that already

elevator doors close...
  • curls 2nvcurls 2nv Registered Users Posts: 318
    i know this thread is kinda old, but you have REALLY nice hair CurlLee! :mrgreen:
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • Paul TownsendPaul Townsend Registered Users Posts: 56
    He didn't know how to comb it out without ALOT of pain so many, many days, his head looked a HOT MESS!

Anyway, brave little guy that he is, he wants to try growing out his hair again this summer and armed with the information that I have garnered from this site, I think I can show him how to care for his hair without excruciating pain (OUCH! Poor baby!):crybaby:

From my own experience I would say that the important thing is, not to force the comb. That *is* painful. If the comb hits a tangle, back it off and untangle the hair with the fingers before continuing. It has probably gone into a bad tangle already if it hasn't been combed. Eventually he will be able to run the comb right across it because there will be no tangles left.
    The thing is, he wants ideas for "masculine" looking styles for longer 4a hair other than just an afro. Maybe some looks that include showcasing his hair's natural ability to produce "coily curls" but he doesn't want to look like a girl with a curly/coil look. KWIM?

Yes I know what you mean, I've had it myself. Look at my avatar - that's what I looked like at about three years old, couldn't help but look girlish with those blond curls. Over the years my hair has darkened and the curls have tamed themselves a bit to 3a but it took me a long time to throw off that image.
  • jr.mint12jr.mint12 Registered Users Posts: 101
    i just did this and im a guy in highschool
  • CurlLeeCurlLee Registered Users Posts: 221
    thank you curls2nv :glasses3:

but i agree with paul. don't force the comb. patience is key with detangling.
    3b here 4a there 3c everywhere
    talk about a mix up :toothy10:

elevator doors open...

random girl: ohhh, you have curly hair

elevator doors begins to close...

random girl's friend:i think he knows that already

elevator doors close...
  • Kris&herKurlyKidsKris&herKurlyKids Registered Users Posts: 55
    Yes, is there a place to go for more info/pictures on guy styles? Especially for 4A/4B guys??? I would like to be ready when DS's hair gets longer and more grown in. Also, my DH might let me do something with his in the future since he's been liking how I've been fixing the kids' hair.
    Me: 2c, medium-coarse, thick
    Began my mod-CG routine May 2010

DD (6 yo): 3c (tightly-curly girl) - now loving KCCC for her!
    DS (3 yo): a mix of 3b/3c/4a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file