oh dear, greasy

curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Registered Users Posts: 133 Curl Connoisseur
My roots (thankfully not all my hair) are feeling greasy :(. They don't look too bad, thank goodness, but they feel it.

It could poss be over conditioning: I've co-washed more often than I should in the last few days. Plus I've used more than half a teaspoon to rub into my scalp: how on earth do you use such a little amount? Or do you americans just have scarily big teaspoons?!

Anyways, I'll keep going! Stupid, stupid hair.

Ugh and a friend yesterday was like "when was the last time you starightened your hair?" When I said about 1-2 months ago and said I wasn't planning to starighten it again she was like "aww, but you have such nice straighteners." No, they were not nice. They destroyed my hair and my self esteem. And if you so much as hint that I should be straightening then I will probably attack you with the nearsest sharp instrument because I am having a bad hair day and I am not happy!!! Ok, breathe in, breathe out...
UK curly, 2C/3A
CG, Tresemme Perfectly Undone, VO5 Firm Styling Gel

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
My fiance, when I was feeling all insecure. He's my curls' biggest fan!

Comments

• lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Awww, I'm sorry your friend said such an idiotic thing to you!! I'm thinking she's just jealous and doesn't want your beautiful curly hair getting all the attention. ;) Try doing an ACV rinse or adding lemon to your co-wash for a little extra cleansing power. I don't co-wash more than twice a week, so doing it as often as you'v done the last week might have contributed to it, but hard to say. And no, I don't use a teaspoon, more like 3 tablespoons for my bird's nest!! :P
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • KurlyPinkKurlyPink Registered Users Posts: 38
    I find that it took a few tries to figure out the amount of conditioner it took to wash. I use about a half teaspoon on EACH of the top of my head, sides, back of my head and nape. If I still don't feel good slip, I use more. What finally got rid of the greasy roots for me was about 2 T of lemon juice to equal amounts of conditioner and I scrubbed my head with that. Now I can just tell when my scalp is clean. I love the feeling. And I only use the lemon juice now after a DT which is 1-2 times per month.
    2c/mostly 3a/some 3b, strawberry blonde, long
    Aussi moist conditioner, John Freida Frizz-ease curl gel, Boots curl creme, solid coconut oil, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls aloeba conditioner, lavender oil spritz
  • curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Registered Users Posts: 133 Curl Connoisseur
    My problem with all these treatments is that as of tomorrow I'll be a university student and will have the budget to match! Plus I won't have things like baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice etc around. I'll see how my budget goes and then maybe splash out.
    KurlyPink wrote:
    What finally got rid of the greasy roots for me was about 2 T of lemon juice to equal amounts of conditioner and I scrubbed my head with that.

Is "2 T" two tablespoons or teaspoons?
    UK curly, 2C/3A

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
  • KurlyPinkKurlyPink Registered Users Posts: 38
    2T is tablespoon. lower case t would be teaspoon.

Don't get too worried about budget.. you can buy one of those lemon squeezy things for peanuts, and most CG conditioners are cheap! (the one i'm using is $3 a bottle) And vinegar is cheap as well. And neither of those require refridgeration for the purposes for which you will be using them.

Of course the best thing to get your scalp clean is to scrub. I scrub until my arms get tired, or I feel my scalp is clean, whichever comes first!
    2c/mostly 3a/some 3b, strawberry blonde, long
    Aussi moist conditioner, John Freida Frizz-ease curl gel, Boots curl creme, solid coconut oil, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls aloeba conditioner, lavender oil spritz
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    I'm a cheap conditioner hog, I use palmfuls, but I can get them at walmart for right at a dollar.

Your friend will get used to the new look. People just hate change I think
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Registered Users Posts: 133 Curl Connoisseur
    If I have time to sort it I'm going to try the lemon thing tomorrow. If mum let's me use the lemon squeezy thing.

But aside from that, :cry::cry::cry: . I was sitting at the computer and mum kinda rubbed the back of my head and then was like "oh... is that the no shampoo thing? Are you sure you want to do that?" I felt it myself and my hair is scarily greasy there. With the rubbishness of that, mum thinking I'm not clean any more and all the other stressful stuff going on at the moment I'm feeling so rubbish.

:cry:

Sorry guys: this board should really be "curlyorwavy's complaints" not "going shampoo-less"...
    UK curly, 2C/3A

• Sleepy OwlSleepy Owl Registered Users Posts: 105
    Have you tried just scrubbing your scalp really well under the shower? (No conditioner or anything, just water.) I do that in between CO washes and it really keeps the greasies away. (Before CG I was a grease monkey.) Now I can go a second day without getting my hair wet, but haven't tried beyond that.

*I do wash with a sulfate shampoo once a week, but that is less for grease and more for (perceived) build up. I have very fine hair.

I have tried baking soda, lemon and ACV rinses, and none of them seemed to help me, so don't give up if they don't work for you.

Good luck! :D
    Laura
    2bc f/ii highly porous hair
    CG since Aug '06 ~ (mostly ;) )
    Fotki updated 6-30-09
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Plus I've used more than half a teaspoon to rub into my scalp: how on earth do you use such a little amount? Or do you americans just have scarily big teaspoons?!
    quote]

Or oddly small scalps :)

Maybe it's time to try a clarify - a no poo, an ACV rinse or lemon added to your conditioner, or baking soda rinse.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • medusahairmedusahair Registered Users Posts: 3,515
    If I don't use a cheap conditioner, one that's not very moisturizing and use lots of it my hair would be oily. Although some really do need a low poo or sulfate free poo once in a while.
    You bet your booty if my hair was greasy I'd use something on it. I canoot stand the feel of that on my scalp. I know it takes a while for the scalp to adjust but I'd rather conditioner wash daily or no sulfate poo when I need to than hate my hair and give up.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • spacedcowgirlspacedcowgirl Registered Users Posts: 111
    Before I went no-poo, my hair would start to get greasy at the roots after only a day or two. Now I can go at least 3 days (haven't tried longer) without wetting my hair. I mean, I usually do wet it every day, and I spritz it with water to style it for 2nd day hair, but these are for styling purposes rather than greasiness.

I follow a routine based on the CG book as follows:

1) Every day: smooth conditioner on my hair at the beginning of my shower and put hair up in a shower cap. Rinse out partially when done and apply products (leave-in conditioner, gel-type products, and/or styling foam). I don't rub my scalp every day and I think this is important because I feel like rubbing it could either a) remove too many natural oils and encourage the scalp to produce more oil, or b) stimulate oil production just from the rubbing itself. I could be wrong about this but I feel it's best to let my scalp alone most of the time.

2) Once a week: I developed this complicated routine. I don't know which parts, if any, are important, but it seems to work for me. First, get two small (maybe 2-oz.) containers. In one, mix a teaspoon or two of baking soda with some conditioner and shake well. In the other, mix a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar, top off with conditioner, and shake well. I use a herbal/tea tree oil conditioner for this purpose because the minty scent smells clean and pleasant to me. Anyway, in the shower, wet your hair and put on the baking soda/conditioner mixture. Scrub your scalp with it gently. Put on a shower cap while you continue with your shower. After it has set for a few minutes, rinse thoroughly, scrubbing your scalp gently under the water. After this, repeat with the lemon juice/conditioner mixture (i.e. scrub when you apply, let it set, scrub while rinsing thoroughly). If your hair feels dry at this point, you can condition your hair as in #1 above and detangle.

I'm not a long-timer to the extent that many here are, but I have been doing this for at least 2 months and have not had a single incidence of greasy hair--and like I said, it did used to get greasy before I went no-poo.

Some other tips that come to mind are to make sure your conditioner doesn't have any silicones, or maybe try something lighter if what you are using feels like it's building up. It may be as simple as changing conditioners. I understand that pooing might end up working better for you and that it sucks to have greasy hair, but I personally would give it a little longer, try some of the suggestions in this thread, and see how it goes before you give up. But of course it's up to you and it's about what's best for your hair. :)
    2b/2c/3a
    Back on CG (OK, I'm a little indecisive).
    pw: curls
    Currently using: Whole Foods 365 Herbal Mint Conditioner (co-wash), MOP Mixed Greens Conditioner, Paul Mitchell Lite Detangler, CK, ISO Bouncy Creme. Gave up on plopping due to tangles/"stickiness" and now I just comb through products and diffuse. It looks basically as good and dries a lot faster (I wasn't getting good clumps from plopping anyway). Still wish I were a lot curlier!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file