FIRST NO POO - FAILURE

I did no-poo for the first time today. I fingercombed my hair when it was all done. ITS FRIZZY EVEN THOUGH ITS STILL WET. it feels dry, rough and icky! WHAT did I do wrong?!

Comments

• DumbelinaTheDaftDumbelinaTheDaft Registered Users Posts: 93
    Are you using a cone-free conditioner? Did you use a clarifying shampoo before you started the no-poo thing?
    2c/3a
    Love: Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Boots, BRHG
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    Dumbelina's got some good points. Also remember that many don't always see great results until after the first two weeks or so.

You might also want to make sure you're using a cone-free gel. Try smoothing the product in instead of raking through your hair - this sometimes breaks the curl pattern, causing frizz.
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • DumbelinaTheDaftDumbelinaTheDaft Registered Users Posts: 93
    Just thought of something else:

Does your conditioner have proteins in it? You might be suffering from protein buildup, although I don't know if it would manifest itself so quickly. Do sulfates get rid of proteins, or can proteins build up even if you're shampooing every day? Does anyone know more about this?
    2c/3a
    Love: Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Boots, BRHG
  • Sleepy OwlSleepy Owl Registered Users Posts: 105
    What products did you use, how much, what order and how?
    Laura
    2bc f/ii highly porous hair
    CG since Aug '06 ~ (mostly ;) )
    Fotki updated 6-30-09
  • sarapoisonsarapoison Registered Users Posts: 3
    I used 1tblsp baking soda, scrubbed well, rinsed well, then used 1 tblsp on ACV rinsed through, insed well with cool water. then I used pure aloe gel in my hair, but even before I used that, it was frizzy and dry.
  • Sleepy OwlSleepy Owl Registered Users Posts: 105
    I my goodness hon, I am no expert by any means, and if someone else knows better, please say so, but I think you just tried way too much all at once! Did you use conditioner at all?

Next time try to just use a 'cone free conditioner to wash, then rinse well, then use some to condition your hair. Use as little as you can get away with. (I use about a teaspoon.) Then rinse for just a few seconds. You want to start out leaving some in. You might have to play with it each day to find out how much. (You might need more, or it might be too much, and you find you are better off rinsing it most or all of it out.)

Once you get the hang of that, then try adding in the baking soda, ACV and aloe gel... one by one. :wink:

Good luck!
    Laura
    2bc f/ii highly porous hair
    CG since Aug '06 ~ (mostly ;) )
    Fotki updated 6-30-09
  • sarapoisonsarapoison Registered Users Posts: 3
    haha thats probably it... i always jump into thngs head first. :oops:
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Definitely agree with Sleepy Owl. It sounds like you unnecessarily dried your hair out with all that clarifying. Plus, baking soda is a base, and will make your hair rough by encouraging the cuticle to open. Although I guess the ACV would have sealed the cuticle again. Oh, well. Hope you have better luck with your next COwash!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file