Scentists making a pill to make afrohair straight.

TyfkeTyfke Posts: 7Registered Users
http://www.essence.com/hair/commentary_1/curl_trouble_scientists_developing_a_pil.php

According to the article i must say as an biracial woman i got intimidated by this since i got the feeling while reading this indirectly that african american and curly hair probably isn´t considered beautiful.
I am so disappointed about this that i really dont know what to contribute to this thread,just wanted folks to know.
My boyfriend who is white,got also upset with this,he actually thought that this development reminded of the experiments of nazi-germany, trying to change DNA and stuff geez.
What do you guys think?

Comments

• LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I heard about this research a few weeks ago. The Essence article states that this pill will "cure" kinky/curly hair. A "cure" implies that there is a problem, so apparently, these researchers think that kinky/curly is ugly. I get so sick of the narrow Eurocentric standard of beauty that is shoved down our throats every day. There is nothing wrong with kinky or curly hair. Instead of creating a pill to change hair texture, these scientists should work on a cure for REAL problems-like cancer and AIDS.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Really?--- There's a "cure" for curly/kinky hair?
    And here I thought my 3C/4A curls were healthy and beautiful...
    Apparently I am one sickly woman! :pukeright:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • TyfkeTyfke Posts: 7Registered Users
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    I heard about this research a few weeks ago. The Essence article states that this pill will "cure" kinky/curly hair. A "cure" implies that there is a problem, so apparently, these researchers think that kinky/curly is ugly. I get so sick of the narrow Eurocentric standard of beauty that is shoved down our throats every day. There is nothing wrong with kinky or curly hair. Instead of creating a pill to change hair texture, these scientists should work on a cure for REAL problems-like cancer and AIDS.

I word you on that gal, i cannot even believe that people so highly educated spend their time researching about trivial matters like this.
    The narrow view about curly hair is as bad as it is,and now this.
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    They're also working on a pill to make hair curlier......
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • eklecktikaeklecktika Posts: 230Registered Users
    They're also working on a pill to make hair curlier......
    Now THAT is something to be interested in! :blob3:
    "It's a wonder God suffers so many fools, what with lightening so cheap"~Mark Twain
    Lady Eklecktika Fidens of Caduceus
  • calmwithcurlscalmwithcurls Posts: 78Registered Users
    LadyV69 wrote: »

That's silly there are plenty of Europeans that have curly hair too but when we have it they believe we somehow infected others? I hope this isn't racially directed because if it is those people have to do their research. What type of self-conscious person hated their curls so much that they felt like it was some sort of genetic disease and that this is exactly what women who relax their hair desire. When I heard of this I was relaxing my hair and considering transitioning and I was infuriated. This is exactly one of the reasons that I want to go natural because I would feel like a hypocrite opposing this and not possessing natural hair myself. I didn't have my hair relaxed to reject my curly hair but having a large braid in my early childhood days I felt like I didn't possess any curls. (I was a silly little girl and lazy, if I only washed my own hair I might have saw my curls that I was envying and could have prevented me from undergoing the transitioning process today) It makes me ashamed of ever possessing relaxed hair at all knowing the severity of my crime. I feel sick. :sad4: But now I can redeem myself and rid my self of these stupid ends and embrace what I have been blessed with my inherited "disease". :walk:
    6 months into transitioning! :lol:
    Hair Type: Don't care now, just want it long enough to be put in a ponytail :hippy2:
    New Hair Resolution: Hair Health and Length!
    :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file