The day when you saw your mother in the mirror & it was

coolonecoolone Registered Users Posts: 44
I am now almost 43 and I am really seeing a resemblence! Maybe it is perimenopause that is aging me but this is the time you just gotta make peace with your mom or it can be so jolting and upsetting!

What do you all think?

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    Even worse, when I look in the mirror I see my dad! Yea, not so pretty. But I've adjusted to it. What can you do? Our faces all get old eventually.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    My dad has some family photos at his place and I was noticing how much the pic of my mom looks like the pic of me, except for hair color.

And except that I have my dad's low, straight eyebrows. I wish I had my mom's arched eyebrows instead.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I look a lot like my mother, especially since I hit my 40's. Oy vey...it's something that I find disturbing when I look in the mirror. The only thing I can do is try not to ACT like my mother.

My sister looks a lot like my mother's sister. So, together, my sister and I are Pat and Shirley. If anyone actually calls us that, though, I just might kick them...
  • coolonecoolone Registered Users Posts: 44
    What on earth happens to our bodies in our 40s vs 30s to make our appearance change that much so suddenly?!
    Gravity?
  • coolonecoolone Registered Users Posts: 44
    I think it is hormones---less water and plumpness top face, eyes look less bright and perky, skin less dewy and rosy...and gravity?
    I think it's because most of us didn't know our mothers when they were in their 20's and 30's. We probably looked like them at the same age, but we dont' remember it (pictures just aren't the same). Most of my memories of my mother are from when she was in her 40's...just like I am now. My mom doesn't look half-bad now at 75, so that gives me hope...
  • curlygrannycurlygranny Registered Users Posts: 16
    Can't stop the ageing process, think of the alternative. Hate to tell you. but it gets worse as you age, gravity is not your friend. I am probably enjoying my life as much as I ever did. I think I have finally came into my own. Not as wrapped up in self and really don't give a fig what others think. Finally have time to focus on the things I really love and wonder how I ever found time to work.
    Catherine
    Modified CG. Robert Craig color, I am a reformed PJ.
    Favs; One condition, Angell, hypoallergenic gell.
    and wonder how I ever found time to work.

That's what my dad says...he's so busy, he doesn't know how he ever had time to work.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Funny how when we say seeing our mothers, we're not thinking of them as young beauties :roll: I wouldn't have minded being my mother when she was in her twenties and thirties. She was gorgeous. But by her forties, five kids, a full-time career and a critical, sniping husband did their job on her. I am lucky that this stuff didn't hit till around 50. And I'm fighting back but perimenopause has kicked my butt - skin quality, the girls dropping, weight in torso.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    I think I was in my late 30's, early 40's, and there she was staring back at me in the mirror. Funny, up till then I thought I looked more like my father. I think it was when I got her jowl line that I started looking more like her.
    3b/c
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    I've always looked like my dad. Always. My entire life. When I was a kid, everyone knew who I was because I looked like my dad at that age (except with long hair). Even now, when I go home, people will say, "You're Kenny's girl, right?" even though I haven't lived in my hometown for about 20 years, and my dad's been gone for three years. :lol:

I'm happily aging. My parents gave me good genes, so I have very few wrinkles, and not a lot of sag in the face (don't get me started on the boobs - apparently good genes didn't go that far south).

I do have a lot of gray hair, which is kinda cool, now that I'm letting it all hang out. I just noticed this morning how very shiny and sparkly the gray is. :D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • LongcurlsLongcurls Registered Users Posts: 23
    I'm with munchkin always thought I looked like my dad when I saw her in my mid 30's when we got our first video cam I cried for a week!!!
    3A or B with an underlay of 2B.Matrix Curl Life Shampoo,Curl Life Extra Intense Conditioner,Paul Mitchell Medium Hold Sculpting Foam,John Freida Downplay Volume Reducer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file