Maeve Binchy

texascurlytexascurly Registered Users Posts: 1,967 Curl Connoisseur
I've only read one book of hers, but really enjoyed it. I read Circle of Friends. What other books of hers are really good or is this an author that I can pretty much pick any book and it will be a good read?? I like to know a few authors like that so when I don't know what to read I can just grab one of their books!!

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I've read "Circle of Friends" and "Tara Road." I liked them both. They were easy reads and were pretty entertaining.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    I remember reading Tara Road and The Glass Lake and possibly Circle of Friends. Like Lolo, I found them to be easy reads and quite entertaining. I am normally not drawn to romantic fiction but I liked them a lot. I may need to check out more of Maeve's books. Thanks for the reminder! :thumbleft:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • texascurlytexascurly Registered Users Posts: 1,967 Curl Connoisseur
    I picked up Light a Penny Candle yesterday, hopefully it will be a good one!
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    I've read every one of her books. LOVE her. I wish she'd write more quickly, LOL.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • janeylizjaneyliz Registered Users Posts: 777
    I've read all of her books and I think Tara Road, Scarlet Feather, Circle of Friends and Evening Class are the best.

If you like Maeve Binchy, you may also like Cathy Kelly or Rosamunde Pilcher.
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Registered Users Posts: 6,343
    LOVE all the ones mentioned, and also love Light a Penny Candle :)

I love love love the movie Circle of Friends, but they're so different...

I'm also a Rosamunde Pilcher fan! She's great. My mom used to buy me her books when I was in the 6th grade and not quite ready for Danielle Steel.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    LOVE all the ones mentioned, and also love Light a Penny Candle

I loved that book. I think you recommended it in the first place. Thanks!
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    Light a Penny Candle was the first Maeve Binchy book that I read. I found it at a used bookstore near my college back in 1988!

Firefly Summer is also one of my favorites.

There were movies made of Circle of Friends (where they changed the ending from the book) and a direct to dvd release of Tara Road, which starred Andie McDowell.

If you like Cathy Kelly, you might also like Melissa Hill, Colette Caddle, and Sheila O'Flanagan, and Patricia Scanlan. (all Irish authors)

Rosamunde Pilcher passed away a few years ago. Her son Robin has written a few books also. I don't enjoy them as much as Rosamunde's, but they are enjoyable.

Some books by Rosie Thomas are a little like Rosamunde's books.

I'm sure I can come up with more Irish authors if anyone is interested. A great website to find more is www.poolbegpress.com They publish Irish authors.

Take care,
    Sherry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file