Soft dipping foods?

Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Lydia has recently discovered how fun it is to dip french fries in ketchup, so I'm trying to figure out how to continue this fun at home with healthier foods. The problem is that she still doesn't have molars, so she needs to eat pretty soft food. She's also allergic to wheat, so no crackers. (She gets Corn Chex for crackers, but I try to save those for the car so she's not eating them all day.)

I'm thinking about trying green beans in yogurt. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Nadia is a dipper. Really you can dip anything as long as it is the right size/shape. Veggies in yogurt or a yogurt/based sauce. Chips in dip. Fruit in yogurt. If she can eat it with her hands, she can dip it.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Solomon has always loved hummus. He likes to dip raw baby carrots, but before he had enough teeth, I used to steam them for him. Any veggie or grain would go well with hummus.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Aidan likes sweet potato fries (baked). If you're pressed for time (as I am), you can find ones made by Alexia without lots of junk in them in the frozen aisle. I also make my own chicken 'nuggets'- I just use cut up chicken breast and bread crumbs (read the ingredients on your bread crumbs if you prefer more natural foods as I do) and bake them. It's dippable. What about steamed broccoli or cauliflower with yogurt or hummus or, if you're crafty, some kind of cheese sauce.

I used to do something with baked tofu for Max... I know I cut it into sticks and he dipped it. I have to go pick upmy kids now but if I think of what it was, I'll post later.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Any steamed veggie will work. We also get the veggie sticks from the health food store, those would be good for dipping in greek yogurt.

DS is so not the dipper--he FREAKS if you dip something. One time my dad dipped his chicken strip in ranch and he said "OHH NOOOO MY CHICKEN NUGGET" all dramatic...it was officially the end of the world.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    deezee02 wrote: »
    DS is so not the dipper--he FREAKS if you dip something. One time my dad dipped his chicken strip in ranch and he said "OHH NOOOO MY CHICKEN NUGGET" all dramatic...it was officially the end of the world.

Too funny!

Well, so far today we did pear slices and later avacado slices dipped in plain yogurt. Cosmicfly, I forgot about sweet potato fries, but that's a good idea. I used to do those back before she had a pincer grasp. I also found that Ore-Ida has some frozen fries that are gluten free.

I think I just need to make my other dips, like hummus, thinner. They tend to be kind of stiff (more spreadable than dippable) and don't work well for steamed or baked veggies.

On another note, I looked in her mouth tonight, and one of her molars is all the way in, but the others are still barely poking through. I think by the time she finally gets all her back teeth in, she'll already be losing the front ones. ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file