CurlTalk

"You still have a lot of hair..."

CurlFaceCurlFace Posts: 176Registered Users
This is more of a rant than anything.
That's the reply I got from one of my doctors, the other one said "Well you still have more hair than I do!" I suppose this is supposed to make me feel better, but it doesn't - not when it's still coming out by the handful every time I shower. I would think a doctor would have a little more common sense. Just because my hair looks okay doesn't mean that it actually is. Has anyone else experienced comments like this? :(
Type: 3a - type 1 on the underside. Thinning.
:glasses11:
Currently using:
-Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo (occasionally)
-Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner
-Suave Waterfall Mist Conditioner or Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific as leave-in
-A mix of Shique Gel and HE Totally Twisted mousse
-FX Curls Up Mousse, on occasion

Comments

• gypsyoftheworldgypsyoftheworld Posts: 54Registered Users
    yes!! i would get it all the time during&after my alopecia. especially after. people don't believe me when i tell them i had alopecia because i still had a pretty much full head of hair, but i knew where all the bald spots had been, and i knew how thick my hair was as well. my family would try to cheer me up saying 'but you still have so much hair!' but i also had so many bald spots. and i still get bald spots. i have three right now, two at my forehead and one at my nape, but the one at my nape is already growing back in.
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    I think that's a really crappy thing to say to you. Its not very empathic of the doctor.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • CurlFaceCurlFace Posts: 176Registered Users
    I was just flabbergasted when the doctor said that to me ("You still have more hair than I do!") I didn't know what to say.
    I'm heading back to my dermatologist tomorrow. Moved my appointment up a month. Here's hoping I'll get some answers. :(
    Currently using:

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    That's pretty unprofessional imo, not the sort of response you'd expect to get from a doctor when you've gone to see them with a genuine concern that could very well be health-based. Hope you get a better response from the derm, let us know how you go.
    3b in South Australia.
    Well I went to my doctor on Wednesday - actually, it's a nurse practitioner who specializes in dermatology issues... She notices that I seem to have less hair - I've been seeing her for around 10 - 15 years! She doesn't know what else to do for me and admitted it (which I'm thankful for) and referred me to a dermatologist. Believe it or not, we don't have regular practicing derms in my area - just ones from nearby cities who stop in every once in awhile! So, my appointment isn't until early February, but I'm really hoping to hear some helpful info. I'll let you know!
    Currently using:

• SusieQinSusieQin Posts: 212Registered Users
    I had a major sugery about 1 1/2 yrs ago and it shocked my system. My already thin hair was thinning even more so. I found the dermo to be rather insensitive about what was happening.

The dermo I saw told me to get rogaine and I'd see a difference in about 6 months. My surgeon doc told me to take flaxseed oil vitamins and my general doc prescribed me prenatal vitamins.

The vitamins worked for me personally. Try asking about that unless you've tried it already. Just a thought! Good Luck!
    CG Since 2010
    Hair Attributes: Mixed 2 with 3A undergrowth & no root curl.
    Fine, Thin, Easily Manipulated, Easily Styled, Easy to Frizz, and Easy to damage.

Favorites: CJ Daily Fix, CJ Rehab, Anything Spiral Solutions, Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Seed

New Goals To restore my hair after dying it twice in two weeks. Learning more about products found in the stores to fit my tight budget. I'm still working on trying to grow out my hair.
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Hi,
    Maybe you would like to try using castor oil, neem oil or ayurvedic powders such as amla, maka, brahmi and others.
    I've read that they help in strengthening the roots and in thickening hair.

They can be bought in Indian grocery stores or online.
    There is a lot of information on this website about the use of ayurvedic powders.

I hope this helps.
    Susie, I guess it's not seen as something serious. I'd like to know how they'd feel if their hair was falling out!! Especially since the doctor who made the comment has hair down past her butt. Also, it's funny you mention prenatal vitamins. My hairdresser mentioned that, too. I'll definitely ask about it. I guess it has to do mostly with the iron. I haven't had that checked yet. I have started taking a multi-vitamin with a bit more iron in it, but I know you have to be careful not to take too much.

Thanks, taltal, for that info. I'll definitely look into those options!
    Currently using:

So I went to the dermatologist this past week. Basically she upped my dosage of Aldactone (I was taking 150 mg a day, now it's 175), told me to take aroung 1000 mcg of biotin, and told me to start using Rogaine Foam. I'm a little nervous about Rogaine. Especially with the way I do my hair. I wash it at night and go to bed with it wet so I guess I'll have to change that a bit and maybe partially dry it before going to bed since you have to put Rogaine on twice per day. And in the morning I basically re-wet my hair in the sink so I'll have to maybe partially dry it before putting it on then, too. Ugh! I tried Rogaine for the first time this morning and it's kind of made my hair look icky. I guess I'll have to play around with applying it! I wish this would just stop on its own.
    Currently using:

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    At least she didn't fob you off like the other docs you saw. Hope you have luck with the Rogaine.

On a side note, I just looked up Aldactone (I'm at work - a nurse) and one of the side effects is alopecia, though it's pretty far down the list.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie wrote: »
    At least she didn't fob you off like the other docs you saw. Hope you have luck with the Rogaine.

On a side note, I just looked up Aldactone (I'm at work - a nurse) and one of the side effects is alopecia, though it's pretty far down the list.

Which is funny because it's also used to treat women with PCOS who are experiencing thinning hair! It's so confusing. Hopefully I'll find the right mix to help me out.
    Currently using:

Just an update, this mixture the dermatologist put me on seems to be working well. I have so much less hair loss than I did before. Before, it would be a handful of hair every time I showered. Now, it's not even close. It's about back to what it was before the insane shedding started. I've noticed a little bit of growth but of course it will take a loooong time to get back to being close to what it used to be. The only thing that brings me down is that I'll have to use the Rogaine for the rest of my life. But, it could be worth it, as long as no scary side effects start popping up 20 years down the line!
    Currently using:

• chococatchococat Posts: 51Registered Users
    Was low levels of vitamins the culprit? If so, which particular vitamins/minerals were you found to be low in? Was the thyroid ever checked?

CurlFace wrote: »
    Just an update, this mixture the dermatologist put me on seems to be working well. I have so much less hair loss than I did before. Before, it would be a handful of hair every time I showered. Now, it's not even close. It's about back to what it was before the insane shedding started. I've noticed a little bit of growth but of course it will take a loooong time to get back to being close to what it used to be. The only thing that brings me down is that I'll have to use the Rogaine for the rest of my life. But, it could be worth it, as long as no scary side effects start popping up 20 years down the line!
    3b
    Texture: coarse + some medium
    chococat wrote: »
    Was low levels of vitamins the culprit? If so, which particular vitamins/minerals were you found to be low in? Was the thyroid ever checked?

Hi chococat,

All of my bloodwork turned out fine. I've had my thyroid check & rechecked a zillion times and it's always fine, too. Nobody has really given me a definite answer as to what's going on. It would be nice to know. Hair doesn't usually fall out for not reason, you know? And it doesn't run in the family, so that's out.

Unfortunately, my hair has started shedding again! I don't know if it's just my shedding period or what, but it's really frustrating and scary. Still using Rogaine, biotin, and Aldactone. Still not as bad as before, which is good, but I just want it to calm down a bit!! :(
    Currently using:

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    What is your diet and daily stress level like? A modified Perricone diet or juicing may help. It seems like you may be missing something from your diet. Also, essential oils (aromatherapy) are great in helping to revert hair loss.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • dannysgirl777dannysgirl777 Posts: 70Registered Users
    YES!! All the time. In fact, not a single doctor has taken me serious yet. I have been to several.

After the birth of my now 5 year old, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (hashimotos). I was on medication against my STRONG beliefs for 4.5 years and my hair fell out the whole time. Every time I mentioned this, doctor would say "that happens with hypothyroid". Okay, I know that, but how do we get it to stop?!?!

About two months ago, I went back in to have some blood work done and I no longer have hypothyroidism, I have diabetes. I had diabetes with both of my pregnancies, and it is rampant in my family, but I keep myself in great shape and have an amazing diet. I was floored.

I am still having a hard time with doctors caring about this issue. I am only 33 years old and this should not be happening. I have suggested being checked for a ton of other things, and still NO ONE LISTENS. There has to be something else going on. I am demanding a vitamin panel on my next visit (July 12th).

Thanks for letting me vent as well. I hope someone takes you seriously. It is heartbreaking to be going through this. I totally understand.
    ~Kristen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<<-working my way back to this!!
    My hair when I was 17 and had no idea how to flatten it.
  • GypsycurlGypsycurl Posts: 15Registered Users
    I used to get this all the time from my derm who was bald. Thanks pal but it doesn't really help me deal with alopecia. I left him after I read that he thought I was "overreacting to my hair loss" in my file.
    Gypsycurl - overreacting??? What is wrong with some doctors??

dannysgirl, vent all you'd like! Sometimes it just helps. It's so upsetting not knowing what it causing it!

Multicultcurly - my diet is pretty good, I would say. I try to eat fruits & vegetables during lunch and dinner (not so much at breakfast) and I don't eat too much junk (believe me, I have my days though). It could be better, overall, no question. I did buy some tea tree oil and rosemary oil from the natural foods store in town - I used to mix a drop of each in a spray bottle of water and spritz it onto my scalp because it's supposed to help stimulate it. I need to buy a new spritz bottle!

My hair seems to be doing a little better this week. Here's hoping it was just a quick phase...
    Currently using:

• hatingmyhairhatingmyhair Posts: 15Registered Users
    I can totally relate! I just had a baby (he is 15 weeks old right now) and I have been under alot of stress (my husband just lost his job which has caused finacial issues, -you get the picture). Anyway my hair has been coming out in handfuls in the shower as well and I am afraid to touch it, comb it, or style it; because more comes out. My hair line at my temples is really bad, but it is thin all over too. I went to the dermatologist concerned; she was pretty nice about it and told me to do Rogaine for Women and take Biotin vitamins for about 6 months and hopefully that would help. She also told me to let her know how it is going after about 4 months of doing this. She told me my hair loss is due to Stress!.

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience with your doctor this is a serious issue for some people (especially women) and shouldn't be taken lightly. It effects your self-esteem and confidence (or atleast it does for me). My hair loss is stress related but hair loss is causing me to stress even more. I am starting the Rogaine + Biotin routine this weekend hopefully it helps!!
    On a side note when I was talking to my huband about this one time his response was "you should just shave your head and get a wig". Seriously I could have punched him for saying that!!! (and I am not really a violent person) It really pissed me off; we got in an argument and he said he was just kidding around. I felt like telling him this was his fault that I was losing my hair, but held that in since I know he feels bad that we are in this position because he lost his job-I don't want to make him feel any worse than he already does.

Let me know how the Rogaine and Biotin works for you.
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users
    I think there are two categories of humans who don't really understand how women can totally become depressed about hair thinning/loss: men and doctors (although I suspect some female doctors will be more sensitive than the ones I've had).

To us, hair is part of our identity, moreso I think than men who hear about male hair loss since their young, see male role models go bald, and can shave their heads and be considered manly-stylish.

Women do not expect to lose hair. We're valued for lush, beautiful hair moreso then men. We see hair as our "crown of glory". When it starts going away, it's traumatic.

When my sis was diagnosed with lupus and started having thinning/bald patches, *I* was the one who wept with her about her hair. Her husband wouldn't get it. Guys wouldn't get it.

Doctors are so used to being preoccupied with more urgent matters in terms of "life or death" or severe health issues, that hair loss probably seems insignificant from a MEDICAL view other than being an indicator of some endocrine or other issue (or a side effect). It has value as a symptom or indicator, but prolly not much else, unless they make moolah off selling products. Otherwise, to them, it's cosmetic.
    And I understand that--when you have patients with disfiguring, life altering diseases or terminal ones, hair loss can be seen as a non-issue, a minor irritation.

To us, it's horrifying. :(
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • stphiestphie Posts: 3Registered Users
    I am here curlies and completely understand what you are all going through. I have had diabetes for 17 years and for the past 3-4 years have been losing my hair gradually. Each year it gets worse. Just thinning, and we girls know it --if you want to know just put your hair in a ponytail. It the width gets smaller, your thinning! Went to a derm and he suggested biotin and Rogaine. Haven't tried Rogaine but am interested. Have tried SO many supplements. Even Prenatal, but I think I may have had an allergic reaction to it because my skin was becoming red and itchy on my face and chest. I stopped that, and now take Shen Min, Biotin about 5mg a day. It's extremely frustrating when doctor have no idea what's happening. mine could be my diabetes, just unsure. It is so very hard for a woman to go through this, and some days it just brings me down :cry: I am so thankful for this site. Any suggestions/what worked what didn't would be so helpful. Hang in there curlies-we can be an encouragement to one another. Know that God did make you uniquely special and you're beautiful.
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users
    stphie wrote: »
    I am here curlies and completely understand what you are all going through. I have had diabetes for 17 years and for the past 3-4 years have been losing my hair gradually. Each year it gets worse. Just thinning, and we girls know it --if you want to know just put your hair in a ponytail. It the width gets smaller, your thinning! Went to a derm and he suggested biotin and Rogaine. Haven't tried Rogaine but am interested. Have tried SO many supplements. Even Prenatal, but I think I may have had an allergic reaction to it because my skin was becoming red and itchy on my face and chest. I stopped that, and now take Shen Min, Biotin about 5mg a day. It's extremely frustrating when doctor have no idea what's happening. mine could be my diabetes, just unsure. It is so very hard for a woman to go through this, and some days it just brings me down :cry: I am so thankful for this site. Any suggestions/what worked what didn't would be so helpful. Hang in there curlies-we can be an encouragement to one another. Know that God did make you uniquely special and you're beautiful.

This happened to me. Horrible dermatitis on my arms (started in left forearm) then started moving to my chest. Had to get a steroid shot and RX steroid cream for it, cause it was driving me nuts and was bright pink-red and I looked like a mutant lizard.

I think it was the MSM, but not sure. I stopped the hair supplement/vitamin mixture.

I am going to try biotin and flaxseed individually, rather than in a mix with MSM (which makes me so sad, cause that's also good for joints, and I have bad knees).

Here's to the discovery of a happy hair cocktail for all of us....
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    I think you're all correct, men (for the most part) don't get it. Except maybe the ones who are trying to cover their baldness with a comb-over. Anyway. The biotin really seemed to make my hair grow! I've had many comments on how long my hair has gotten. I had my hair cut this week and I wasn't as afraid as I was the last time about getting my hair washed (actually, last time I wouldn't let her wash it for fear of all the hair that would fall out). I take 1000 mcg of Biotin per day. The Rogaine I'm using is the men's foam, which seems to be helping as far as the shedding. The dermatologist said it was fine to use, and I haven't had any side effects like others have (I've heard others mention facial hair, aging of facial features...)
    I'm going to stick with this routine for as long as needed (probably forever).
    Currently using:

• IrishOneIrishOne Posts: 15Registered Users
    Wow. I have been to tons of Dr.'s in the past 4 years. My 3b curls are 70 percent gone. My bang and hairline will be gone by Christmas. At thisnpoint I don't even care any more. Although all the docs I saw did have different tests done, all of them said it was normal thinning from age (I'm 50 and 7 years post menopause) and then would laugh and say I had so much hair I would never lose it all, said as they sat across the room from. I pass on hormones, thyroid, iron, autoimmune test. Theybwon't take me seriously until I'm bald. I' doing the pre natal vitamis, biotin, special shampoo, minoxidil. I think it's too late. Why do they say to do something as soon as your hair starts thinning, for best result, and then laugh you out of the office? All woman docs too, and one with curly hair.
    Tried CG-Didn't Work Out
    Jessicurl Cleansing Cream
    Suave Conditioner
    CHS Curl Keeper and Gel
  • per_simmonper_simmon Posts: 22Registered Users
    This happens to me quite often with my alopecia. It's mostly hidden, and I've told people about it only to have them respond that nobody knows so what's the difference? Yes, thank you, hair loss is still stressful, frightening and an enormous pain in the ass to deal with, even if no one can see it most of the time.

Sending out big hugs to everyone out there who has to deal with hair loss. It's a raw deal, and unsympathetic doctors just make an already bad situation much, much worse. I'm really happy to have the doc I do now, but I had to go through quite a few to get to him.
    3c, Alopecia, porous like woah.

Struggling to come to terms with my hair, or at the very least a cease-fire.

Cone-and-sulfate free for a couple of months now.