I've lost my curls!

garyzgirlgaryzgirl Posts: 6Registered Users
Hello beautiful women! I've been CG since July 23, 2009. My hair is shoulder length, 3a/b and color treated because I am 95% white (at 44) and very fine. Until October my curls were perking up nicely after a lifetime of straigthening. I've been trying to find the right hair recipe with a little JessiCurl, a bit of Curl Junkie and some Deva. Since October, I have been 100% deva using The One conditioner, ArcAngell, and Set it Free. I deep condition once a week with the Heaven in Hair. I diffuse (gently) until mostly dry and do a couple of small curls around my face.

Around the first part of November my curls started looking less and less curly. Now I'd have a hard time convincing anyone I'm more than a 2. I live in Utah so it's a bit dry here. Okay, it's very dry here.

I've given some thought to the whole perimenopause-hormone connection but have no other symptoms.

Has anyone else experienced a sudden loss of curl? I'm really baffled! Could it be the Deva? After a lifetime of hating my curls, I miss them now. Help! :(

Thanks.
Kelly aka "Garyzgirl"

CG since 7/23/2009 and lovin' it!:usa2:
3a/b, fine texture, porous on ends

Comments

• PoochiePoochie Posts: 315Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Could it all be weather-related? I am a 3a and live in North Carolina, so most of the time it's humid... but lately it's been very cold and dry and my hair is straight for 6" from my scalp! Does it get drier in the fall in Utah and stay that way all winter? I think 3as are very susceptible to humidity changes, because on a rainy day I can pass for a 3b, but when it's very dry I look like a 2.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think it's probably the drier weather. You may need to change conditioners and sleep with a humidifier in your bedroom.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aside from the dry weather - which is certainly a factor - do you think you might be over-conditioned?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• garyzgirlgaryzgirl Posts: 6Registered Users
    Utah is a desert so it's pretty dry all year around but during the winter it's also cold, particularly lately. I haven't given any thought to it being over conditioned. That's just really never been a problem for me. I'll try laying off the conditioner for a couple of days and see what happens. If it is dryness, can anyone suggest a good conditioner for 3a/b?

Thank you all and have a happy new year!
    Kelly aka "Garyzgirl"

• PoochiePoochie Posts: 315Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like Pantene Hydrating Curls (although Pantene gets mixed reviews around here, I don't have any problems with it). I also put a little almond oil on my ends and on the bottom layer (around my nape) while it's still damp. If it is dryness, maybe a deep treatment would help?
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it could be your products. I started with Deva, didn't do anything special for my hair. Moved on to Jessicurl, that lasted a week--it made my hair limp and lifeless (yes, I lost my curl.) Since that time, I've discovered that my hair likes the more natural products and cleansing with natural soap bars (controversial at this point, but works well for me.)

I rotate products. Seldom use anyone thing more then two times a week. Right now, we are have cold, dry, windy weather (single digit dewpoints and below.) My hair is liking rich conditioner and leave in followed by a jelly type product. My curls last all day with minimal frizz.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    This is a little off the subject, but I just want to say I really envy your white hair! I am letting my silver grow out right now, but I can't wait to have white! I think it's beautiful. I know plenty of young women who color their hair white on purpose for that very reason. You should take a look at the lovely women on goinggraylookinggreat.com. White isn't an "old" color anymore, if you style it young and take care of it properly.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
    kathymack wrote: »
    I think it could be your products. I started with Deva, didn't do anything special for my hair. Moved on to Jessicurl, that lasted a week--it made my hair limp and lifeless (yes, I lost my curl.) Since that time, I've discovered that my hair likes the more natural products and cleansing with natural soap bars (controversial at this point, but works well for me.)

I rotate products. Seldom use anyone thing more then two times a week. Right now, we are have cold, dry, windy weather (single digit dewpoints and below.) My hair is liking rich conditioner and leave in followed by a jelly type product. My curls last all day with minimal frizz.

Thanks, Kathymack. I don't know anything about the bar soaps. Where do you get them and do you have any suggestions for 3a/b?
    Kelly aka "Garyzgirl"

This is a little off the subject, but I just want to say I really envy your white hair! I am letting my silver grow out right now, but I can't wait to have white! I think it's beautiful. I know plenty of young women who color their hair white on purpose for that very reason. You should take a look at the lovely women on goinggraylookinggreat.com. White isn't an "old" color anymore, if you style it young and take care of it properly.

Thank you, Curlyinohio. I have checked out goinggraylookinggreat.com and those women are so beautiful. However, at 44 my skin is naturally very tan and I have no lines yet (knock on wood). I've spoken with a couple of different stylists, including some who don't know me at all, and the general concensus is that white hair would be very aging and wash me out badly. However, if my magic mirror told me I'd turn out to look like Emmylou Harris, I'd do it in a New York minute!
    Kelly aka "Garyzgirl"

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    garyzgirl wrote: »

Thanks, Kathymack. I don't know anything about the bar soaps. Where do you get them and do you have any suggestions for 3a/b?

I have low porosity, fine 3 a/b hair. Depending on your porosity (other then your ends) many of the products I use would probably work well for you. The ones I use the most are in my signature.

There are tons of threads on soap/shampoo bars. They were the rage product about a year ago. Some people have issues with them. They are alkaline and require an ACV rinse to restore pH balance. People with coarse hair and well water (water with a lot of minerals) don't usually care for them. You could also have issues with hair color fading--I highlight and don't have issues. My fotki has pictures of my hair from before and after soap bar use that shows the significant difference in my hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file