Scab hair?

cmw45cmw45 Posts: 4Registered Users
I'm new to the natural curly game and was wondering if I have scab hair or just some 4b/4c thrown into the 4a. I'n not really good with the classifications so I don't know. Or perhaps it's neither and I just have some scab hair? I think it could be scab hair, b.c it's much drier and frizzes easier than the rest of the hair on my head. HELP...cause, if it's scab hair, I probably shouldn't get too attached as, from what I've heard, I'm gonna have to cut it off anyway. Right? (the pics of the hair in question are linked to this under my siggy.

Thanks in advance.
C
http://public.fotki.com/cmw45/all_things_hair/bc_and_beyond/1_month/p1010074.html
I don't think you'll need it, but here it is: password: happynappy

Comments

• bubbles76bubbles76 Posts: 288Registered Users
    I did a search here, and this is what they had to say about scab hair. Be sure to read it all the way down, because they get into it more. Plus, there's another link in this link that talks about scab hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=63008&highlight=scab+hair

HTH
    Last Relaxer August 15, 2004
    Big Chop April 23, 2006
    event.png
  • LadyJAHLadyJAH Posts: 81Registered Users
    I found this information on another website. I take no credit for any information contained herein:

Some people who have relaxed for a long time notice that the first transitional new growth comes in a brillo-y,hard texture that is a result of residual follicle damage from the years of relaxing. It's called "scab hair," and can persist for a few inches. Eventually, the follicle heals and your virgin hair comes in its true texture.

It won't disappear suddenly, instead you'll notice the hard, rough, dry areas getting smaller and smaller. The ultra soft, supple texture that replaces it will suprise you. It's important to heal the scarred follicles first. The first few inches of hair that grows out after the perm is usually very coarse and dry due to the fact that the scalp is healing from some of the damage that the relaxers did.

When you think about it it make perfect sense too. That scab hair is the hair we would feel six weeks after a touch up and say "I need a perm now!" It is really rough and brittle and kept us chained to the chemical fire cream industry. It why so many women think they would like to stop perming, but don't think they can stop because they believe their hair is "too nappy."

That term came from the book Let's Talk Hair, by Pamela Ferrell. She discusses "scab hair" on page 68.

She says this:

I have found many women become depressed or apprehensive by the idea of growing the chemical out of their hair. Women have complained that the new hair growth feels coarse and hard. This is usually an unfair analysis of natural hair that is compared to the straightened ends. I classify the first stage as the scab stage.

Hair that has been chemically processed for many years will grow out curlier and in some instances feel dry because of the long-time use of the caustic lye (chemical fire cream) that has stripped the hair follicle of its natural oils and nutrients. Your hair goes through a healing process similar to a wound on the skin, which becomes supple again after the scab falls off. As the new hair growth lengthens, the follicle and scalp have a chance to be rejuvenated, heal and eventually replenish the natural sebum to the hair. The new hair will then begin to feel soft and pleasing. And of course, changing to hair care products that are formulated for curly hair will make a difference in how the hair looks and feels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file