If you read a great book, do you expect your SO to read it too?

SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Just curious about this. My DH and I like very different types of books -- he's into sci fi and I am very much not. I like bestsellers, but he doesn't share my enthusiasm for them. He doesn't try to get me to read his sci fi books, but I sort of feel like he's missing out by not trying to read some of the bestsellers.

Should I just read my books, move on to the next and leave him alone about reading them? I don't nag him or anything; I just mention that it's a great book and he might like reading it, so I hang on to it for him (as opposed to listing it on a book swap site; I'm an avid swapper!) I'd actually prefer to swap them than keep them around the house if he's never going to read them because I don't re-read books.

Just wondering how things work with you and your SO with reading books, if you sort of wish your SO would read the book too.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Comments

• MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately, my SO is not a big reader even though I wish he was. The only time he really reads is when we're on vacation and when he does, it's mostly sci-fi, war/historical books which I'm not that into. I wish he would read more because I LOVE to read and always have something I'm reading. That being said, I did get him to read the Twilight Series which he really enjoyed (sshh, don't tell him I told you ladies). I gave him the first one after I was done and he ended up reading them all before I did.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not in a relationship right now, but when I was, no, I did not expect this.

Some books just don't speak to me, even though they are great by most people's standards. And there are books that I just love that others don't care for.

Usually people who read kind of know what books will appeal to them. If it's not their kind of book, then most likely they won't enjoy reading it.

I don't expect any SO of mine to muddle through a book on my account. [Or muddle through anything.] Reading is supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing, not a chore.
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    We alternate choosing books. We like all the same genre - adventure, sci fi and certain fantasy.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    No.

I dated someone long distance when I was in college and he convinced me to read a series with him so we could have some "entertainment" in common. We'd sometimes read it aloud on the phone to each other. It was fun, but I don't think I'd do it at this point in my life.

C2G - how's in2books going for you?
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Sydney!
    It's slow going with in2books. I think the teacher must be way off track with the schedule posted on the site, or perhaps my student got off track somehow. The next book was supposed to be selected and communicated to me in early December and I still haven't heard back regarding what the next book will be. I wrote to the teacher and have not heard back from her. :/ So I am just waiting at this point.
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    curls2grow wrote: »
    Hi Sydney!
    It's slow going with in2books. I think the teacher must be way off track with the schedule posted on the site, or perhaps my student got off track somehow. The next book was supposed to be selected and communicated to me in early December and I still haven't heard back regarding what the next book will be. I wrote to the teacher and have not heard back from her. :/ So I am just waiting at this point.

Mine's pretty slow too. Actually, the last two books my SO and I have read together are the ones for in2books. We've been reading them aloud. :) If you still haven't heard into January, feel free to e-mail customer service if you want to find out what's going on. They're really nice and will be able to look into your particular student/teacher's situation.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you for mentioning that. I will get in touch with Customer Service after another week or so if I haven't heard anything more. :)
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    Nah...DH and I like completely different types of books. Occasionally, we cross-read but it doesn't happen often.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    My husband's not a big reader. I've read a few books I thought he might enjoy, and he even expressed interest in one, but so far he hasn't picked any of them up. I think I've read two of "his" books- I didn't think they were that great. :lol: I'd love to be able to share books now and then, but apparently it just ain't gonna happen.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Our tastes are different, but even if they were the same I wouldn't expect him to read a book I enjoyed.

My SO mostly likes sci fi stuff too. But in our case he's the one who feels I'm missing out. He used to be rather pushy and get insulted if I didn't read all of his recommendations. It took a lot of explaining for him to understand that it wasn't personal and we don't need to share all of the same interests.

I make an effort with his favorite video games, movies, etc., but not so much with books because I barely have time enough to finish the ones I want to read. And that list is long! :)
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    My SO and I both have really eclectic literary tastes, and while some of it crosses over, mostly we don't read each other's books (I've read his more than he's read mine). He really enjoys thriller/mysteries and has no problem reading badly written books. I prefer experiemental novels, sci-fi, and Modern classics and have a real problem plowing through really badly written things*. But we do have multiple copies of some things, partially because we've both studied them at university, but also because we do still have some similar tastes - Fight Club, Good Omens, Frankenstein, Dracula (actually, we have 4 copies of that...), His Dark Materials, Catch-22, and between us we have Kurt Vonnegut's whole oeuvre.

* 'badly written' is not meant to spark debate, as such - we simply have different tolerances for writing abilities and originality/ inventiveness, and I wish I wasn't so darn snooty some days...
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Posts: 260Registered Users
    When I read a really great book, I want the whole world to read it too. My guy and I have similar tastes in literature.:love3:
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file