Help, mom of a 3-yr old w/curly hair

smdiazsmdiaz Registered Users Posts: 2
My daughter has got a ton of curly hair and since she is only 3 years old it is up to me to do her hair and I want to do it right. She is mixed, white/hispanic and I think she is a 3c, very tight, fine curls and lots of them. My problem is what do I do with her hair each day? It looks great after we wash it, I leave in conditioner and comb out the tangles and that's it. However, the next morning it is crazy and since we only wash it about once or twice a week she only has one good hair day. Now she is only 3 so she could care less but soon enough she will be all about her hair and I would like to know how to take care of it and how to keep the tangles out when she sleeps. Any suggestions are appreciated, especially since I have straight hair and absolutely no help for her. I am learning as we go along! Thank you!

Comments

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Registered Users Posts: 900
    So, I'll preface this with: I don't have kids, and my hair is wavy, not curly, so I'm going based on what works for me.

First, could you have her sleep on a satin pillowcase/in a satin sleep cap to minimize the amount of rubbing/frizz she gets at night?

Secondly, I don't wash my hair every day, but I'll often spritz it with water in the morning to refresh the curls and get rid of some frizz. I'll spritz it with a spray bottle, then kind of sprunch it in. Could this maybe work for you two? You don't have to get it super wet, just a little damp.

Also, you could look into protective styles, like braids or twists or what-have-you, if that's a look you and your daughter like.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    i second the idea of a satin pillowcase, and if she doesnt stay put on a pillowcase, also tuck a satin sheet into her mattress as backup.

for my own hair, ive had alot of success getting 2nd day hair by going to sleep with my hair pulled into a loose high ponytail. then in the morning, i take the ponytail down and let my curls fall into place. if they need a bit of extra moisture i either use a small bit of oil or a dab of raw she butter (melt it in my hands and then smooth it over my hair). sometimes my hair needs a bit of extra help falling into place so i'll spritz either water or a mix of water and conditioner onto my hair to help it out.
  • breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    The key is to keep her hair in a style throughout the whole week, not let it be out and curly all the time.

After you wash, condition, apply leave-in and detangle her hair, go ahead and put her hair into big, chunky braids.

I'm not sure how long her hair is, but I'm guessing 4 or 6 braids or so will do (2-3 on each side).

In the morning, take a brush (or comb) and put her hair into pigtails, a ponytail or a bun and leave it like that until the end of the day. For more control (which is what I recommend), put her ponytail or pigtails into a braid or twist.
    *If you want to have more of a smooth look, spritz her hair with some water before you style it so it's a bit damp.

At night, take her hair down, massage her head a little bit and put it back into the four braids that you did the night before. There is no need for the braids to be super tight or neat. It's purpose is to keep the hair from tangling around itself.

You can keep doing this every night until you decide you would like to wash her hair again.

This is what my mom did when I was a kid and it worked just great. (In fact, this is what I do now, lol). She only washed my hair once a week. I now wash my hair only once (sometimes twice) a week.

*Leaving it out curly can encourage knots and tangles, especially with active kids. Save having her hair down and curly for occasions where she isn't romping and running around (like special school events or family gatherings)
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • SpeedGoddessSpeedGoddess Registered Users Posts: 118
    My mom had the same problem with my hair when I was little!

She sprayed my hair with detangler every morning, usually until it was all wet (she put a towel over my shoulders to keep my shirt dry). Then, she used a pick to work out all the tangles. When my hair was short, she usually just left it alone after that. As it got longer (elementary school), she usually put it in a braid to keep the tangles at a minimum.

I'm not sure if they still make it, but No More Tears (I believe it's Johnson & Johnson) is really great for younger kids, especially curlies. The No More Tears line has shampoos, conditioners, and detanglers. However, I'm not sure if they have cones and sulphates or not. If they do, they're very mild, since they're made for younger children.

Good luck! :)
    Hair type: 3B

CG since: Dec '08

(Johnson&Johnson No More Tears Shampoo when need help with build-up), Suave Naturals condish, leave some in, LaBella Gel, then out the door!

You only live once...make it count

• Chocodiva007Chocodiva007 Registered Users Posts: 60
    breezybaby wrote: »
    The key is to keep her hair in a style throughout the whole week, not let it be out and curly all the time.

After you wash, condition, apply leave-in and detangle her hair, go ahead and put her hair into big, chunky braids.

I'm not sure how long her hair is, but I'm guessing 4 or 6 braids or so will do (2-3 on each side).

In the morning, take a brush (or comb) and put her hair into pigtails, a ponytail or a bun and leave it like that until the end of the day. For more control (which is what I recommend), put her ponytail or pigtails into a braid or twist.
    *If you want to have more of a smooth look, spritz her hair with some water before you style it so it's a bit damp.

At night, take her hair down, massage her head a little bit and put it back into the four braids that you did the night before. There is no need for the braids to be super tight or neat. It's purpose is to keep the hair from tangling around itself.

You can keep doing this every night until you decide you would like to wash her hair again.

This is what my mom did when I was a kid and it worked just great. (In fact, this is what I do now, lol). She only washed my hair once a week. I now wash my hair only once (sometimes twice) a week.

*Leaving it out curly can encourage knots and tangles, especially with active kids. Save having her hair down and curly for occasions where she isn't romping and running around (like special school events or family gatherings)

I could not agree more! My 6 year old is on a low care regimen where braiding, coconut oil and jojoba oil are our staples. I use the Tawaka shampoo and conditioner on her hair once a week. I do not use a leave in conditioner. Pre treatment with warm coconut oil, Wash once a week, condition in the bathtub, rinse out the conditioner, section hair for braiding and use jojoba oil (a reasonable amount) on scalp and hair. She gets rebraided and combed out every other day with a scalp massage. On Saturday, she wears her hair out and it is washed on Sundays. Her hair has never been healthier, shinier or stronger and in New England where the dry air is harsh, the indoor heat is harsh and the water is hard...the "less is more" approach has been what works. No more tangles..Hair washing and styling takes about 15 to 20 minutes and she loves her plaits! No more buying expensive products expecting a miracle for tangles. It is just training and treating the hair with a little patience.

Your fotki is great and very informative and your youtube channel is as well.
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Registered Users Posts: 310
    I have 3 daughters with WL curly hair (type 2's and 3's) and my son (until last week when he suddenly begged for a hair cut for his trip back home to Hawaii) had APL extreme corkscrew curls. Here's quick thing I do at night to keep tangles down:

My kids sleep in loosely braided hair. I make two to four large loose braids on my kids hair (even my son when he had long hair) until I get to the ends of the braids and then I double strand twist the ends (for some reason it cuts down on end of hair tangling when I twist the ends instead of braid the hair all the way to the ends). Then I tuck the ends into the braids. They sleep on satin pillowcases.

In the morning, I take down the braids, use a little bit of a curl refresher spray or just distilled water in a spray bottle and then style.

I do that every night and day until wash day, then there's a huge routine I go thru for that, lol.

BUT, I do that simple morning routine because on wash day I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink] + [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/buylink] on their hair from the ear down (hair near their scalp only has tiny bit of Coconut/Avocado Oil) and that stuff lasts 3-5 days on their hair or until next wash day, if I use curl refrsher spray.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file