Question for TWA's

miss dreammiss dream Registered Users Posts: 11
What's your routine and what are you doing about flat hair in the morning?

I'm co-washing every day or at least rinsing with water to get get it back to normal, but what about you?

Oh yeah, and what are you doing to battle frizz?

Comments

• NubianCoilsNubianCoils Registered Users Posts: 2,149
    miss dream wrote: »
    What's your routine and what are you doing about flat hair in the morning?

I'm co-washing every day or at least rinsing with water to get get it back to normal, but what about you?

Oh yeah, and what are you doing to battle frizz?

I live in NYC and I'm keeping my routine as simple as possible because of the cold - and because by the time I've worn my hood to my coat for the 45 minutes it takes me to get to work, any style I had would be gone anyway....

I wake up, dampen my hair slightly with a spray water bottle mixed with a little conditioner. Then I seal with castor oil. I allow my hair to shrink as much as it wants and don't attempt to "fluff" it out. I just shape it so it's a nice round, small fro. And that's all I do.

On the weekends I co wash, then I DT with a mixture of maka powder, AOHSR, and coconut milk. I leave this mixture on for the majority of the day and wrap my hair if I'm going out. Then I rinse, add a leave-in and some shea butter.

This is my first winter as a free form natural so my main objective is to retain my hair and keep it from drying out and breaking. I always put a satin scarve around my hair any chance I get and I bundle it up really well when I go outside. HTH!:blob2:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    I live in a fairly warm climate, so I'm fine cowashing everyday and prefer fresh hair anyway. If I couldn't cowash daily though I'd spritz with a water/codish combo and shake it out. I also do nightly scalp massages, so I usually end up messing up my hair anyway!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »
    I live in a fairly warm climate, so I'm fine cowashing everyday and prefer fresh hair anyway. If I couldn't cowash daily though I'd spritz with a water/codish combo and shake it out. I also do nightly scalp massages, so I usually end up messing up my hair anyway!

Oh, that's different! During the summer I co wash a lot (not every day cause I'm way too lazy for that8)). During the summer, my routine is a lot more cause the weather is warm and I can do more with my hair. I wear twist outs a lot in the summer and I band/stretch my hair so my fro is big. :afro:
    I also use honey and other products with humectants in them - things I've heard you're not suppose to use in cold weather, though I forget why. :sad1:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

• rosscdrosscd Registered Users Posts: 464
    I am also in the South but it is 34 degrees here in Atlanta today...

I co-wash everyday with Elucence. Then I put Darcy's Botanical Leave in + Afroveda Pur Whipped Gelly + [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on my hair. I know lots of layering but it really seems to work.

If I don't co-wash, I just wake up and don't touch my hair. I have found that refreshing does not work for me, I end up with a frizzy mess. I just leave it as is and finger pull curls to add a little height.
    4a Curly :icon_smile:

Been natural since Jan 09. BCing is my thing!! Love to keep a tight TWA!

My Staples:
    CJ Smoothing Conitioner, CJ Daily Fix,Cherry Lola Treatment, CJ CCCC, CJ Smoothing Lotion, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Majic, KCCC, Eco Blue and KMF UMG
    rosscd wrote: »

I co-wash everyday with Elucence. Then I put Darcy's Botanical Leave in + Afroveda Pur Whipped Gelly + [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on my hair. I know lots of layering but it really seems to work.

If I don't co-wash, I just wake up and don't touch my hair. I have found that refreshing does not work for me, I end up with a frizzy mess. I just leave it as is and finger pull curls to add a little height.

Ooh, how do you like the PUR/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] combo? I think with KCC I get too much shrinkage, so I usually do a Cocolatte/PUR or Curl Define/PUR combo when I want for sure great results.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

I can't do that. I've tried. My hair is stuck to my head like a stalker in the morning. I have tried pulling and tugging, but it won't budge until I soften it up a bit with some form of liquid. :angry3:

Holy Grails:

ellepixie wrote: »

Ooh, how do you like the PUR/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] combo? I think with KCC I get too much shrinkage, so I usually do a Cocolatte/PUR or Curl Define/PUR combo when I want for sure great results.

I really love the PUR/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. They do great for moisture and curl definition on my hair. For some reason, using PUR and Curl Define together made my hair more frizzy. I still can't figure out why.

My Staples:
    CJ Smoothing Conitioner, CJ Daily Fix,Cherry Lola Treatment, CJ CCCC, CJ Smoothing Lotion, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Majic, KCCC, Eco Blue and KMF UMG

I can't do that. I've tried. My hair is stuck to my head like a stalker in the morning. I have tried pulling and tugging, but it won't budge until I soften it up a bit with some form of liquid. :angry3:

Girl don't make me laugh... I have the opposite issue, if anything touches my hair the next morning, I need to just start over and wash n go.

My Staples:
    YouTube
  • curlyhersheygirlcurlyhersheygirl Registered Users Posts: 475
    I don't co wash or wet my hair everyday since it's winter( i live in ma).
    I wash and dt my hair weekly and apply darcy's botanicals leave in and qhemet's honey balm and heavy cream.
    The moisture i get from that combo lasts a while so i simple fluff my hair in the morning. At about the third day i will use darcy's hebal spritz and a little of the peach kernel milk then style.

event.png
  • miss dreammiss dream Registered Users Posts: 11

Same here. It's the main reason that I co-wash.
    Tried the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and PUR and got great results! I added some Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream under and when it dried more I added a little pomade for shine. And now my hair is done for NYE!
    YouTube
    @ellepixie,

I just ordered the Madagascar Vanilla styling cream. I can't wait to try your NYE combo.

My Staples:
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Welcome Miss Dream!

I conditioner wash every day during the week. I live in a very cold environment. The other morning it was 17 degrees and dropping. Cold doesn't bother me.

For moisture, use a leave-in conditioner...and this may seem odd, but the more water you leave in your hair, the better definition you will have. You don't have to have dripping hair, but fairly wet.

Also, using a t-shirt to gently blot hair will help reduce frizz.

And my old standby...a bit of honey mixed in with a leave-in conditioner can help with frizz. I just rediscovered this product.

What products are you using, Miss Dream?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file