Brush vs. Comb.

Whenever I use a wide toothed comb my hair gets all poofy, but whenever I use a brush I get a great curl formation. What should I do? Should I keep using the brush or should I transfer to the comb?
What do you guys use comb or brush?
3c-4a [i think], coarse and normal/low porosity.
re-starting CG method on 08/13/10

co wash : V05 raspberry with chamomile.
condish: HEHH, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, Live Clean.
leave in,cream cream,gel: LA looks sport gel, still testing leave ins and curl creams.
i.am.a.curly.teen!

Comments

• curlycolombiancurlycolombian Registered Users Posts: 5
    i have the same problem..i use both! i use a comb to detangle first and then run a paddle brush through to shape curls before i wash my conditioner out.
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Registered Users Posts: 667 Curl Neophyte
    Do what works for you. Are you brushing when wet or dry....just curious? Curlies with thick or damaged hair do not like to brush because it breaks hair. I have thin hair and have no problem getting a boar bristle brush through my hair; it is actually good for your hair and scalp but I only brush at night and before washing otherwise I am a poofball. I use a comb when wet; brushing when wet probably stretches the hair and not so good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • cottoncurl.cottoncurl. Registered Users Posts: 55
    i have the same problem..i use both! i use a comb to detangle first and then run a paddle brush through to shape curls before i wash my conditioner out.

Thats what I do, but I run the paddle brush through when I get out of the shower.

leave in,cream cream,gel: LA looks sport gel, still testing leave ins and curl creams.
    i.am.a.curly.teen!
  • lizzlebelizzlelizzlebelizzle Registered Users Posts: 287
    It would be disastrous for me, but hey, if it works for you then keep doing it. Everyone's hair is different and it's more important for you to pay attention to what is giving you the best results rather than what other people say works/doesn't work for them.
  • crazywavescrazywaves Registered Users Posts: 582
    I am liking a brush more than a comb to.
  • cottoncurl.cottoncurl. Registered Users Posts: 55
    Do what works for you. Are you brushing when wet or dry....just curious? Curlies with thick or damaged hair do not like to brush because it breaks hair. I have thin hair and have no problem getting a boar bristle brush through my hair; it is actually good for your hair and scalp but I only brush at night and before washing otherwise I am a poofball. I use a comb when wet; brushing when wet probably stretches the hair and not so good.
    I brush it wet. :)

i.am.a.curly.teen!
  • graciezoegraciezoe Registered Users Posts: 1
    My hair's really thick and I've never been able to use a comb...totally rips my hair out. I either use a Denman(sp) brush or a paddle brush. We all respond to different things; do what works for you not what others use or do.
    Waist length hair that is coarse and wavy. Hair loves: WEN FIG and TEATREE...have been using WEN since 2005/Deva No Poo and Conditioner...since 2007
    Hair hates: Shampoo bars...tried four different "brands" hated them all(Frizzy Mess)
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Registered Users Posts: 667 Curl Neophyte
    I tried brushing a little on top with wet hair this morning and I actually got very good root lift and volume!!! I am really seriously going experiment more; maybe upside-down in the shower. I have seen the "root brush" and it looked like it would really mess things up but I guess I may be wrong!....now that I think about it, I used to brush my hair when wet years ago before CG and my curl formation was better then!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't used a brush on wet or dry hair in years. I use a wide-tooth comb on wet hair, but only after I've raked some leave-in through my hair to help with detangling. I'm not sure if you are having the poofiness from combing when wet or dry. Basically anything I do to my hair when it's dry causes poofiness. AVG helps to calm it back down, but that's not HG for me (nothing is).
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file